Quantcast

libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.11' not found (required by sh) on Ubuntu 13.04 raring ringtail

libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.11' not found (required by sh) on Ubuntu 13.04 raring ringtail

Kaushal Shriyan-2
Hi,

We have installed McAfee Antivirus on our Ubuntu Desktop 13.04 and when i tried using apt-get install update and apt-get install dist-upgrade. I encountered the below issue and the system became unusable.

ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
sh: /opt/McAfee/runtime/2.0/lib/
libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.11' not found (required by sh)
E: Problem executing scripts DPkg::Post-Invoke '/usr/bin/test -e /usr/share/dbus-1/system-
services/org.freedesktop.PackageKit.service && /usr/bin/test -S /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket && /usr/bin/gdbus call --system --dest org.freedesktop.PackageKit --object-path /org/freedesktop/PackageKit --timeout 1 --method org.freedesktop.PackageKit.StateHasChanged cache-update > /dev/null; /bin/echo > /dev/null'
E: Sub-process returned an error code
sh: /opt/McAfee/runtime/2.0/lib/
libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.11' not found (required by sh)

Any clue to the above issue? Please suggest further.

Regards,

Kaushal

Re: libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.11' not found (required by sh) on Ubuntu 13.04 raring ringtail

Pete Smout
On 17/07/13 16:46, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have installed McAfee Antivirus on our Ubuntu Desktop 13.04 and when.

Why when clam av is installed by default, and if you are going to use
propriety anti-virus software at least pick one that works!

> *ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
> sh: /opt/McAfee/runtime/2.0/lib/*
> *libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.11' not found (required by sh)
> E: Problem executing scripts DPkg::Post-Invoke '/usr/bin/test -e
> /usr/share/dbus-1/system-**services/org.freedesktop.**PackageKit.service
> && /usr/bin/test -S /var/run/dbus/system_bus_**socket && /usr/bin/gdbus
> call --system --dest org.freedesktop.PackageKit --object-path
> /org/freedesktop/PackageKit --timeout 1 --method
> org.freedesktop.PackageKit.**StateHasChanged cache-update > /dev/null;
> /bin/echo > /dev/null'
> E: Sub-process returned an error code
> sh: /opt/McAfee/runtime/2.0/lib/**libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.11' not
> found (required by sh)
>
> *Any clue to the above issue?**Please suggest further.*
>
> *Regards,
>
> Kaushal
> *

In all seriousness the installation of AV software to a LINUX system is
generally considered overkill, however to prevent me from forwarding an
infected email to a Windows user I do have clam set to scan all incoming
mail.

The chances of getting a virus that will kill the (Ubuntu) system are
virtually zero if the user is sensible (only installing software from
trusted repositories, not entering random commands found online as root,
i.e. anything that starts with sudo).

In short my recommendation is to forget about McAfee. and get your dist
upgrade done. I have no idea how to avoid the problem whilst maintaining
McAfee on the system! I'm sure someone else here can help.

Regards

Pete

Re: libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.11' not found (required by sh) on Ubuntu 13.04 raring ringtail

Patrick Asselman
On 2013-07-17 17:46, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We have installed McAfee Antivirus on our Ubuntu Desktop 13.04 and
> when i tried using apt-get install update and apt-get install
> dist-upgrade. I encountered the below issue and the system became
> unusable.
>
>  ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
> sh: /opt/McAfee/runtime/2.0/lib/
> libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.11' not found (required by sh)
> E: Problem executing scripts DPkg::Post-Invoke '/usr/bin/test -e
> /usr/share/dbus-1/system-SERVICES/ORG.FREEDESKTOP.PACKAGEKIT.SERVICE
> && /USR/BIN/TEST -S /VAR/RUN/DBUS/SYSTEM_BUS_SOCKET && /USR/BIN/GDBUS
> CALL --SYSTEM --DEST ORG.FREEDESKTOP.PACKAGEKIT --OBJECT-PATH
> /ORG/FREEDESKTOP/PACKAGEKIT --TIMEOUT 1 --METHOD
> ORG.FREEDESKTOP.PACKAGEKIT.StateHasChanged cache-update > /dev/null;
> /bin/echo > /dev/null'
>  E: Sub-process returned an error code
> sh: /opt/McAfee/runtime/2.0/lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.11' not
> found (required by sh)
>
> Any clue to the above issue? Please suggest further.
>
> Regards,
>
> Kaushal

Your McAfee software seems to be compiled for a C library which is
newer than the one available on your system. So you need to either find
an older McAfee version and use that, or upgrade your C library:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade glibc

Best regards,
Patrick Asselman

On 17 July 2013 17:13, pete smout <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Why when clam av is installed by default,

No it isn't.

Otherwise, though, I agree.

You don't need A/V software on Linux desktops. It's a waste of
performance and as you have discovered, it can break things.

I suggest you remove it again.

Email: [hidden email] • GMail/G+/Twitter/Flickr/Facebook: lproven
MSN: [hidden email] • Skype/AIM/Yahoo/LinkedIn: liamproven
Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 6:16 PM, Liam Proven <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 17 July 2013 17:13, pete smout <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Why when clam av is installed by default,

No it isn't.

Otherwise, though, I agree.

You don't need A/V software on Linux desktops. It's a waste of
performance and as you have discovered, it can break things.

I suggest you remove it again.

Email: [hidden email] • GMail/G+/Twitter/Flickr/Facebook: lproven
MSN: [hidden email] • Skype/AIM/Yahoo/LinkedIn: liamproven
Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Thanks for the explanation. Please help me understand do we need to scan the email for virus before sending it to the recipient who is using windows desktop? Also help me understand the pros and cons of AV software on Linux Desltop or Server.

Regards,

Kaushal

Re: libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.11' not found (required by sh) on Ubuntu 13.04 raring ringtail

Liam Proven
On 19 July 2013 04:00, Kaushal Shriyan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks for the explanation. Please help me understand do we need to scan the
> email for virus before sending it to the recipient who is using windows
> desktop? Also help me understand the pros and cons of AV software on Linux
> Desltop or Server.

I do not wish to seem rude, but there is a big difference between
"giving someone some technical support" and "doing their research for
them".

Email: [hidden email] • GMail/G+/Twitter/Flickr/Facebook: lproven
MSN: [hidden email] • Skype/AIM/Yahoo/LinkedIn: liamproven
Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Re: libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.11' not found (required by sh) on Ubuntu 13.04 raring ringtail

Avi Greenbury-4
Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have installed McAfee Antivirus on our Ubuntu Desktop 13.04 and when i
> tried using apt-get install update and apt-get install dist-upgrade. I
> encountered the below issue and the system became unusable.

What did you do to install it? Did you need to install any
dependencies?

> *ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
> sh: /opt/McAfee/runtime/2.0/lib/*
> *libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.11' not found (required by sh)
> E: Problem executing scripts DPkg::Post-Invoke '/usr/bin/test -e

What did you run to get this output?

--
Avi

AV3

On Jul/18/2013 11:0024 PM, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 6:16 PM, Liam Proven <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     On 17 July 2013 17:13, pete smout <[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>      > Why when clam av is installed by default,
>
>     No it isn't.
>
>     Otherwise, though, I agree.
>
>     You don't need A/V software on Linux desktops. It's a waste of
>     performance and as you have discovered, it can break things.
>
>     I suggest you remove it again.
>
>     --
>     Liam Proven • Profile: http://lproven.livejournal.com/profile
>     Email: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]> •
>     GMail/G+/Twitter/Flickr/Facebook: lproven
>     MSN: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]> •
>     Skype/AIM/Yahoo/LinkedIn: liamproven
>     Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884
>

> Thanks for the explanation. Please help me understand do we need to scan
> the email for virus before sending it to the recipient who is using
> windows desktop? Also help me understand the pros and cons of AV
> software on Linux Desltop or Server.

Liam Proven is quite right to recommend you do your own research before
asking for help. But as a professional language teacher I know that
Usenet imposes on all users an obligation to completely master English
at the native speaker level, and I think I detect a language
comprehension problem here. So I offer the following reply to your
request for information:

1. Scanning for malware is not a requirement but only a courtesy. It is
unlikely that an user of any operating system other than Windows will be
as diligent in keeping their anti-virus program completely up-to-date,
so it is unlikely to be very thorough or helpful. But some of us try to
be helpful, but I don't. It is up to Windows users to scan their own
incoming messages.

2. Unix-based operating systems require a password to access their root.
For years Microsoft gained an enormous share of the operating system
market by not requiring a password, i. e., by making installation of
Windows easy. Its long-suffering purchasers accepted as a cost of doing
business the eradication of malware and regular re-installation of their
contaminated operating system.

Since Unix-based systems don't require anti-virus protection, AV
software is unnecessary and burdensome. Of course, there is malware that
could infect your personal user files, but not your root system. Of
course, you could be lured into betraying your password in installing
software from a contaminated source, so caution in acquiring software is
necessary.

I myself have never encountered such malware, nor has anyone I know
personally. I do not remember reading about infestation in this forum.
So it is not a big worry, but possible.

--
++====+=====+=====+=====+=====+====+====+=====+=====+=====+=====+====++
||Arnold VICTOR, New York City, i. e., <[hidden email]>    ||

On 19 July 2013 16:16, AV3 <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Liam Proven is quite right to recommend you do your own research before
> asking for help. But as a professional language teacher I know that Usenet
> imposes on all users an obligation to completely master English at the
> native speaker level, and I think I detect a language comprehension problem
> here.

This is a very good point and I am sorry if I was too curt.

> So I offer the following reply to your request for information:
>
> 1. Scanning for malware is not a requirement but only a courtesy. It is
> unlikely that an user of any operating system other than Windows will be as
> diligent in keeping their anti-virus program completely up-to-date, so it is
> unlikely to be very thorough or helpful. But some of us try to be helpful,
> but I don't. It is up to Windows users to scan their own incoming messages.

True and I agree.

> 2. Unix-based operating systems require a password to access their root. For
> years Microsoft gained an enormous share of the operating system market by
> not requiring a password, i. e., by making installation of Windows easy. Its
> long-suffering purchasers accepted as a cost of doing business the
> eradication of malware and regular re-installation of their contaminated
> operating system.
>

> Since Unix-based systems don't require anti-virus protection, AV software is
> unnecessary and burdensome.

True, but there is more to it than that. However, any additional
clarification is not really relevant to this discussion.

> Of course, there is malware that could infect
> your personal user files, but not your root system.

As far as I know there are no infectious Linux viruses out there in
the wild. There are worms & rootkits, but they spread in a different
way -- and anyway, most virus detection programs would not notice
them.

So I disagree with this statement.

Linux cannot execute Windows binaries. LibreOffice cannot execute MS
Office macros. So Linux cannot be infected by Windows viruses. It is
immune.

If someone adds the WINE Windows-compatibility layer, then the machine
can /catch/ a Windows virus, but not pass it on.

Citation: http://archive09.linux.com/feature/42031

> Of course, you could be
> lured into betraying your password in installing software from a
> contaminated source, so caution in acquiring software is necessary.

That's a Trojan, something different from a virus. Again, virus
scanners are often powerless against these.

> I myself have never encountered such malware, nor has anyone I know
> personally. I do not remember reading about infestation in this forum. So it
> is not a big worry, but possible.

More or less, yes.

The most widely-used Linux antivirus tool is Clam AV. It is a scanner
- it does not defend your system against infection like a Windows A/V
program, but as discussed, this is not really necessary. Clam scans
your files for infections, that is all.

It does not run in the background. You run it, it scans, it finishes;
that's it. If you wish, though, you can schedule Clam with Cron, like
any other program, to do a regular scan in the background.

It is in the Ubuntu repositories. Google for info on how to install it.