lxcfs info

Eliza
Hi,

When running 'pstree' I see a line which shows:

         ├─lxcfs───10*[{lxcfs}]

Do you know what is lxcfs and how it influence the OS?

I am running ubuntu 18.04:

$ uname -a
Linux ubuntu-18.04 4.15.0-47-generic #50-Ubuntu SMP Wed Mar 13 10:44:52
UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

thanks in advance.

Re: lxcfs info

Oliver Grawert
hi,
Am Mittwoch, den 28.08.2019, 18:39 +0800 schrieb Eliza:

> Hi,
>
> When running 'pstree' I see a line which shows:
>
>          ├─lxcfs───10*[{lxcfs}]
>
> Do you know what is lxcfs and how it influence the OS?
>
> I am running ubuntu 18.04:
>
> $ uname -a
> Linux ubuntu-18.04 4.15.0-47-generic #50-Ubuntu SMP Wed Mar 13
> 10:44:52
> UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> thanks in advance.

see:

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/xenial/man1/lxcfs.1.html

it belongs to:

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/xenial/man1/lxc.1.html
http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/xenial/man1/lxd.1.html

ciao
        oli

Re: lxcfs info

On Wed, 28 Aug 2019 at 12:43, Eliza <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> When running 'pstree' I see a line which shows:
>
>          ├─lxcfs───10*[{lxcfs}]
>
> Do you know what is lxcfs and how it influence the OS?

Did you try just putting "lxcfs" into Google?

It's the filesystem-virtualisation part of the LXC container runtime.

Re: lxcfs info

"FUSE based filesystem for LXC" -
https://packages.ubuntu.com/bionic-updates/lxcfs

"Infrastructure for container projects.

linuxcontainers.org is the umbrella project behind LXC, LXD and LXCFS.

The goal is to offer a distro and vendor neutral environment for the
development of Linux container technologies.

Our main focus is system containers. That is, containers which offer an
environment as close as possible as the one you'd get from a VM but
without the overhead that comes with running a separate kernel and
simulating all the hardware." - https://linuxcontainers.org/

"LXCFS

Userspace (FUSE) filesystem offering two main things:

    Overlay files for cpuinfo, meminfo, stat and uptime.
    A cgroupfs compatible tree allowing unprivileged writes.

It's designed to workaround the shortcomings of procfs, sysfs and
cgroupfs by exporting files which match what a system container user
would expect." - https://linuxcontainers.org/

"What's LXC?

LXC is a userspace interface for the Linux kernel containment features.
Through a powerful API and simple tools, it lets Linux users easily
create and manage system or application containers. Features

Current LXC uses the following kernel features to contain processes:

    Kernel namespaces (ipc, uts, mount, pid, network and user)
    Apparmor and SELinux profiles
    Seccomp policies
    Chroots (using pivot_root)
    Kernel capabilities
    CGroups (control groups)

LXC containers are often considered as something in the middle between
a chroot and a full fledged virtual machine. The goal of LXC is to
create an environment as close as possible to a standard Linux
installation but without the need for a separate kernel." -
https://linuxcontainers.org/lxc/introduction/

Re: lxcfs info

Eliza
Hi

on 2019/8/28 19:08, Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users wrote:

> Current LXC uses the following kernel features to contain processes:
>
>      Kernel namespaces (ipc, uts, mount, pid, network and user)
>      Apparmor and SELinux profiles
>      Seccomp policies
>      Chroots (using pivot_root)
>      Kernel capabilities
>      CGroups (control groups)
>
> LXC containers are often considered as something in the middle between
> a chroot and a full fledged virtual machine. The goal of LXC is to
> create an environment as close as possible to a standard Linux
> installation but without the need for a separate kernel." -
> https://linuxcontainers.org/lxc/introduction/

Thanks for the details. I got it.