m4a/aac file formats

Adam Funk-4
Hi,

I have a new MP3/AAC player with some problems reading the metadata on
some of the m4a files, so they come up "Unknown Artist" and "Unknown
Album", even though I've made sure the tags are correct using easytag.

The file command gives
  ISO Media, MP4 v2 [ISO 14496-14]
for the ones the player handles correctly, and
  ISO Media, Apple iTunes ALAC/AAC-LC (.M4A) Audio
for the ones the player mangles.

I may have ripped some of the files with grip a few years ago, but the
recent ones are all ripped from CDs using abcde.  I have the faac and
libfaac0 packages pinned to version 1.28-0ubuntu2 because later
versions were effectively broken for licensing reasons.

Any tips?

Thanks,
Adam

Re: m4a/aac file formats

Andrew J. Caines-2
Adam,
> Any tips?

If you don't mind a GUI, MusicBrainz Picard[1] is a very capable tag
editor which handles just about any file format and can operate on
multiple files. There are PPAs for stable[2] and unstable[3] releases.

[1] https://picard.musicbrainz.org/
[2] https://launchpad.net/~musicbrainz-developers/+archive/ubuntu/stable
[3] https://launchpad.net/~musicbrainz-developers/+archive/daily

--
-Andrew J. Caines-   Unix Systems Architect   [hidden email]
  "Machines take me by surprise with great frequency" - Alan Turing

Re: m4a/aac file formats

Adam Funk-4
On 2018-12-02, Andrew J. Caines wrote:

> Adam,
>> Any tips?
>
> If you don't mind a GUI, MusicBrainz Picard[1] is a very capable tag
> editor which handles just about any file format and can operate on
> multiple files. There are PPAs for stable[2] and unstable[3] releases.
>

> [1] https://picard.musicbrainz.org/
> [2] https://launchpad.net/~musicbrainz-developers/+archive/ubuntu/stable
> [3] https://launchpad.net/~musicbrainz-developers/+archive/daily

I'll take a look -- thanks for the pointer.

Re: m4a/aac file formats

Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC)
Hi Adam,

On 2018/10/12 13:13, Adam Funk wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a new MP3/AAC player with some problems reading the metadata on
> some of the m4a files, so they come up "Unknown Artist" and "Unknown
> Album", even though I've made sure the tags are correct using easytag.
>
> The file command gives
>    ISO Media, MP4 v2 [ISO 14496-14]
> for the ones the player handles correctly, and
>    ISO Media, Apple iTunes ALAC/AAC-LC (.M4A) Audio
> for the ones the player mangles.
>
> I may have ripped some of the files with grip a few years ago, but the
> recent ones are all ripped from CDs using abcde.  I have the faac and
> libfaac0 packages pinned to version 1.28-0ubuntu2 because later
> versions were effectively broken for licensing reasons.
>
> Any tips?

You could also try using VLC to play/convert the files

HIH
Hylton