measuring disk i/o performance

Volker Wysk
Hi!

I'm about to install an SSD (as a cache for my hard disk). Does someone know a
good tool for measuring the disk i/o speed?

Cheers
Volker

Re: measuring disk i/o performance

Compdoc@hotrodpc.com
On 10/04/2017 01:31 PM, Volker Wysk wrote:

> Does someone know a
> good tool for measuring the disk i/o speed?

The gnome Disk utility is great. I usually boot the live cd to test with
Disk util, and also use it to read the drive's all important SMART values.

Am Mittwoch, 4. Oktober 2017, 13:36:30 CEST schrieb compdoc:
> On 10/04/2017 01:31 PM, Volker Wysk wrote:
> > Does someone know a
> > good tool for measuring the disk i/o speed?
>
> The gnome Disk utility is great. I usually boot the live cd to test with
> Disk util, and also use it to read the drive's all important SMART values.

Hmm... I don't have that gear symbol in g-d-u, which one is supposed to click.
Neither in Kubuntu 16.04 nor in 17.04. Might that be an even newer feature?

Bye
V.W.

On 10/04/2017 02:03 PM, Volker Wysk wrote:

> Hmm... I don't have that gear symbol in g-d-u, which one is supposed to click.

The new symbol is three short lines.

Am Mittwoch, 4. Oktober 2017, 14:05:59 CEST schrieb compdoc:
> On 10/04/2017 02:03 PM, Volker Wysk wrote:
> > Hmm... I don't have that gear symbol in g-d-u, which one is supposed to
> > click.
> The new symbol is three short lines.

I tried it in a gnome session, and there's that gear. Before, I used KDE, and
it is a little box.

Thanks
Volker

Re: measuring disk i/o performance

Jeff Lane-2
On Wed, Oct 4, 2017 at 3:31 PM, Volker Wysk <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm about to install an SSD (as a cache for my hard disk). Does someone know a
> good tool for measuring the disk i/o speed?

hdparm from a console.  Does both raw and cached read/write testing.

Also, bonnie++ and stress-ng will do it as well.

Am Mittwoch, 4. Oktober 2017, 16:24:00 CEST schrieb J:
> On Wed, Oct 4, 2017 at 3:31 PM, Volker Wysk <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I'm about to install an SSD (as a cache for my hard disk). Does someone
> > know a good tool for measuring the disk i/o speed?
>
> hdparm from a console.  Does both raw and cached read/write testing.
>
> Also, bonnie++ and stress-ng will do it as well.

Okay... I'll try all of them.  :-)

Volker