midi files in (k)ubuntu

Roman Makurin
Hi All
May be its a strange question, but how can I play midi files in ubuntu ? I
can`t find any obvious way to do this. I`ve got Creative SBLive 5.1 sound
card wich works wery well with alsa.

10nx
--
If you think of MS-DOS as mono, and Windows as stereo,
  then Linux is Dolby Digital and all the music is free...

Re: midi files in (k)ubuntu

Peter Garrett
On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 21:37:44 +0300
Makurin Roman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All
> May be its a strange question, but how can I play midi files in ubuntu ? I
> can`t find any obvious way to do this. I`ve got Creative SBLive 5.1 sound
> card wich works wery well with alsa.

The simplest way appears to be to do this:

1) Install the " timidity" package and the "freepats" package ( freepats is a set of patch files that timidity looks for by default - you can also use a sound font, but this is a bit more involved)

2) If you want a GUI for timidity, rather than plain command line, install  "timidity-interfaces-extra " This package gives you a few relatively OK front ends for the player. Of course they don't make it clear that you need to run

timidity -ig

to get the GTK+ GUI  (hey, I had to dig around in the man pages for timidity to work this out ;) ) . If you like a retro look you can also run

timidity -ia

which I think is a coloured Athena widget set. Looks like the best 1993 had to offer, but if you like dark grey with tasteful dabs of olive green and violet, it might be just what you wanted...

If you have freepats and timidity, it *should* work "out of the box".  (Sounds of hollow laughter).  Just run " timidity -ig yourmidi.mid " or "timidity yourmidi.mid " for the straight version without pretty boxes.

Troubleshooting:  Timidity looks for freepats - see

/etc/timidity/timidity.cfg
/etc/timidity/freepats.cfg

More complicated stuff:

You can run timidity in "server" mode , in conjunction with apps like rosegarden4 ( a really nice app once you get it working) and kmid. This is left, as they say, as "an exercise for the reader"  ;-) It does work, eventually, but involves far more hacking about than it should. You will read about jackd, and tear your hair out trying to get everything playing nicely together. A few magic incantations that work with varying degrees of success to use timidity for these purposes are

timidity -iA -B2,8 -Os1l -s 44100
timidity -iA -B4,12 -Oj -s 44100     #better, it seems
timidity -iA -B2,8 -s 44100            # this works too ?

The comments are from my experiments , on my set-up. YMMV , as they say. These spells are ways of starting timidity in server mode - after starting these you have to "tune in " with kmidi or rosegarden4 , and connect to port 128:0 if I remember correctly. (It's been a while since I played with this so I might be off target here). I also had to modprobe some sequencing modules ( snd_seq springs to mind, but there are others). If you need to do this, remember to add the modules to /etc/modules so they will load on boot.

See? It's all really user-friendly!  ( *cough* )

You will hone your googling skills, and see many lines roughly interpretable as " the rest of this configuration is trivial, and requires no comment". Keep a sense of humour if you decide to delve more deeply...

Unless of course, unlike me, you actually understand the terminology and concepts involved, in which case it's no doubt simplicity itself ...

A starting point might be

http://linux-sound.org/

Do read the timidity man page. It contains much that is useful. If you're like me, you won't understand much of it, but a bit of perseverance pays dividends.

Good luck !

Peter

--

Linux User #343161

Re: midi files in (k)ubuntu

golfer
I had to 'modprobe snd-seq-dummy' to get the right device to be
created when starting timidity.

You can then start timidity with 'sudo /etc/init.d/timidity' and you
can confirm it with 'ps aux | grep timidity'

Once it's running, kde settings for sound setup in the midi tab should
have a drop down for the 'timidity device' .. you can select this and
then be able to use kmid to play your midi's.

Also, read the notes in /etc/timidity/timidity.cfg about what to do if
you have a slow processor.

regards

On 11/12/05, Peter Garrett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> modules ( snd_seq springs to mind, but there are others). If you need to do
> this, remember to add the modules to /etc/modules so they will load on
> boot.
>
> See? It's all really user-friendly!  ( *cough* )
>
> You will hone your googling skills, and see many lines roughly interpretable
> as " the rest of this configuration is trivial, and requires no comment".
> Keep a sense of humour if you decide to delve more deeply...
>
> Unless of course, unlike me, you actually understand the terminology and
> concepts involved, in which case it's no doubt simplicity itself ...
>
> A starting point might be
>
> http://linux-sound.org/
>
> Do read the timidity man page. It contains much that is useful. If you're
> like me, you won't understand much of it, but a bit of perseverance pays

Re: midi files in (k)ubuntu

golfer
forgot to say there's a better sound patch at
http://www.fbriere.net/debian/dists/testing/misc/deb/timidity-patches-eaw_12-0fbriere.1_all.deb

bye

On 11/12/05, golfer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > modules ( snd_seq springs to mind, but there are others). If you need to
> do
> > this, remember to add the modules to /etc/modules so they will load on
> > boot.
> >
> > See? It's all really user-friendly!  ( *cough* )
> >
> > You will hone your googling skills, and see many lines roughly
> interpretable
> > as " the rest of this configuration is trivial, and requires no comment".
> > Keep a sense of humour if you decide to delve more deeply...
> >
> > Unless of course, unlike me, you actually understand the terminology and
> > concepts involved, in which case it's no doubt simplicity itself ...
> >
> > A starting point might be
> >
> > http://linux-sound.org/
> >
> > Do read the timidity man page. It contains much that is useful. If you're
> > like me, you won't understand much of it, but a bit of perseverance pays

Re: midi files in (k)ubuntu

Peter Garrett
On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 20:27:30 -0500
golfer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> forgot to say there's a better sound patch at
> http://www.fbriere.net/debian/dists/testing/misc/deb/timidity-patches-eaw_12-0fbriere.1_all.deb

Definitely better and more complete - thanks for the URL.

On a positive note (pun unintentional), I found rosegarden4 works much more easily on breezy than on hoary - but

sudo /etc/init.d/timidity

is still not enough. I needed

timidity -iA -B2,8 -Os1l -s 44100

as an incantation - then rosegarden worked for sound without any further configuration here.

Guess I'll make a little script to do this before rosegarden starts...

Peter
--

Linux User #343161

Re: midi files in (k)ubuntu

Ben Scholl
On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 21:37:44 +0300, Makurin Roman wrote:

> Hi All
> May be its a strange question, but how can I play midi files in ubuntu ? I
> can`t find any obvious way to do this. I`ve got Creative SBLive 5.1 sound
> card wich works wery well with alsa.
>
> 10nx

You might want to look at the wiki page
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MidiSoftwareSynthesisHowTo - it's something I
helped write a few months ago. I've only tested it on hoary, and there are
probably plenty of improvements to be made to it, but you might find it
useful.

Also, with a Soundblaster Live, you should be able to get hardware MIDI
working (depending on the model). There's some information on the forums
at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=30963. Hope this helps,

Ben

Re: midi files in (k)ubuntu

golfer
On 11/13/05, Peter Garrett <[hidden email]> wrote:
> is still not enough. I needed
>
> timidity -iA -B2,8 -Os1l -s 44100

sorry, I should have meantioned that you have to enter these options
in the /etc/default/timidity file, which is then sourced when running
'sudo /etc/init.d/timidity'.  Were you able to select the timidity
option in the kde settings for sound setup MIDI?

regards,