migrate from im-switch to im-config

Zhengpeng Hou
Hi all,
I think its time to migrate from im-switch to im-config now.
1 upstream of im-switch has switched the focus to im-config for a while.
2 No dedicated developer in Ubuntu work on input method, most of those effort are inherited from Debian, it make more
sense for us to leverage effort in Debian.
3 existing bug[1] has been proved that migrate to im-config will solve a lot of issues.
4 This cycle just started, we will have plenty of time to make the migration landed, then next LTS will have it in place stably.
Your thoughts?
Cheers
Zhengpeng

Re: migrate from im-switch to im-config

Sebastien Bacher
Le 25/10/2012 15:35, Zhengpeng Hou a écrit :
> Your thoughts?
Hey,

Thanks for bringing up the topic, I had took a note to look at that
after UDS. Is there anything we need to do there out of changing the
seed to install im-config by default?

Sebastien Bacher

On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 10:19 PM, Sebastien Bacher <[hidden email]> wrote:
Le 25/10/2012 15:35, Zhengpeng Hou a écrit :
Your thoughts?
Hey,

Thanks for bringing up the topic, I had took a note to look at that after UDS. Is there anything we need to do there out of changing the seed to install im-config by default?
The migration might affect two areas:
1 seeds for Desktop to be modified accordingly.
2 language-selector need to be updated  accordingly.
Regarding with the migration, no obvious side effect will be brought in.
Zhengpeng

Sebastien Bacher

Re: migrate from im-switch to im-config

Gunnar Hjalmarsson
On 2012-10-25 15:35, Zhengpeng Hou wrote:
> I think its time to migrate from im-switch to im-config now.

I for one agree.

im-switch (unlike im-config) provides per display language
configuration, which you are able to set from language-selector.
Considering that there is a plan to replace language-selector with the
g-c-c region capplet, so far we have sticked with im-switch even if it's
deprecated.

> 3 existing bug[1] has been proved that migrate to im-config will solve a
> lot of issues.
> 1 https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ibus/+bug/875435

If a complete solution to that bug is provided by im-config, it's a
strong reason to migrate ASAP IMO. I suppose that language-selector or
its successor won't need to be involved really, since im-config does not
depend on the current display language. (Well, the IM method selector in
language-selector would need to be dropped, of course.)

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj

Re: migrate from im-switch to im-config

Ma Xiaojun
On 10/25/12 6:49 PM, Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:
> im-switch (unlike im-config) provides per display language
> configuration, which you are able to set from language-selector.
> Considering that there is a plan to replace language-selector with the
> g-c-c region capplet, so far we have sticked with im-switch even if it's
> deprecated.

I personally feel that per language IM configuration is useless.
Mac OS X doesn't have this "feature".
Even we stick with current language-selector dialog, we can decouple
language selection and IM configuration easily I guess.

On 2012-10-28 06:08, Ma Xiaojun wrote:
> Even we stick with current language-selector dialog, we can decouple
> language selection and IM configuration easily I guess.

I think you are right. But it would be changed behavior and a change to
the GUI, so it would not be appropriate for SRUs. (Saying that because
of the latest comments at https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/875435.)