modeset(0): Modeline "1680x1050"x0.0

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
28 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

modeset(0): Modeline "1680x1050"x0.0

Chris-4
Since update to 18.04.1LTS in Aug periodically what's shown here
https://pastebin.com/CNYfj6xB
gets output to syslog. I can see that it appears to be informational or
at least I assume that's what the (II) stands for. I can find nothing
that actually causes it. At first I thought it was possibly the XFE
file browser as it seemed to show up when bringing it up but that's
been proven not true. It's not hurting anything I'm just curious what's
the cause. Didn't happen with 16.04LTS.

--
Chris
31.11972; -97.90167 (Elev. 1092 ft)
14:52:24 up 3 days, 22:24, 1 user, load average: 0.65, 0.43, 0.39
Description: Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS, kernel 4.15.0-38-generic


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: modeset(0): Modeline "1680x1050"x0.0

Chris-4
On Fri, 2018-11-09 at 14:57 -0600, Chris wrote:

> Since update to 18.04.1LTS in Aug periodically what's shown here
> https://pastebin.com/CNYfj6xB
> gets output to syslog. I can see that it appears to be informational
> or
> at least I assume that's what the (II) stands for. I can find nothing
> that actually causes it. At first I thought it was possibly the XFE
> file browser as it seemed to show up when bringing it up but that's
> been proven not true. It's not hurting anything I'm just curious
> what's
> the cause. Didn't happen with 16.04LTS.

I posted this almost a week ago and have not seen any replies
whatsoever so I'm going to have to assume that either 1)no one has any
idea what I'm talking about or 2)it was just too dumb of a question. I
know it made it to the list because it's in the archive.

--
Chris
31.11972; -97.90167 (Elev. 1092 ft)
08:53:02 up 13:13, 1 user, load average: 0.83, 0.86, 0.63
Description: Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS, kernel 4.15.0-39-generic


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: modeset(0): Modeline "1680x1050"x0.0

Liam Proven
On Thu, 15 Nov 2018 at 15:57, Chris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I posted this almost a week ago and have not seen any replies
> whatsoever so I'm going to have to assume that either 1)no one has any
> idea what I'm talking about or 2)it was just too dumb of a question.

Apply Hanlon's Razor. :-)

> I
> know it made it to the list because it's in the archive.

OK, lacking any particular specialist knowledge, it looks like it's
periodically re-detecting your monitor.

So...

* Check your cable is securely connected! (Start with the simplest
possible stuff)

What graphics controller do you have?
What monitor?
What kind of connection?
Do you have any alternatives to hand?

And my regular favourite:

Have you tried updating your firmware?

--
Liam Proven - Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: [hidden email] - Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus: [hidden email]
Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven - Skype/LinkedIn: liamproven
UK: +44 7939-087884 - ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: modeset(0): Modeline "1680x1050"x0.0

Chris-4
On Thu, 2018-11-15 at 16:07 +0100, Liam Proven wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Nov 2018 at 15:57, Chris <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > I posted this almost a week ago and have not seen any replies
> > whatsoever so I'm going to have to assume that either 1)no one has
> > any
> > idea what I'm talking about or 2)it was just too dumb of a
> > question.
>
> Apply Hanlon's Razor. :-)
>
> > I
> > know it made it to the list because it's in the archive.
>
> OK, lacking any particular specialist knowledge, it looks like it's
> periodically re-detecting your monitor.
>
> So...
>
> * Check your cable is securely connected! (Start with the simplest
> possible stuff)
Done, blew out both connectors and reattached

>
> What graphics controller do you have?
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 4 Series Chipset
Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation 4 Series Chipset
Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)

> What monitor?
Manufacturer: ACR Model 16 Serial Number 2170562977
Made week 16 of 2008
EDID version: 1.3
Analog display, Input voltage level: 0.7/0.7 V
Sync: Separate
Maximum image size: 47 cm x 30 cm
Gamma: 2.20
DPMS levels: Standby Suspend
RGB color display

(Probably too much info)

> What kind of connection?
VGA

> Do you have any alternatives to hand?
Nope, only monitor I have
>
> And my regular favourite:
>
> Have you tried updating your firmware?

firmware version shown via apt-search linux-firmware
apt search linux-firmware
Sorting... Done
Full Text Search... Done
linux-firmware/bionic-updates,bionic-updates,bionic-security,bionic-
security,now 1.173.1 all [installed,automatic]

Installed version
apt-cache policy linux-firmware
linux-firmware:
  Installed: 1.173.1
  Candidate: 1.173.1

--
Chris
31.11972; -97.90167 (Elev. 1092 ft)
09:33:06 up 13:53, 1 user, load average: 1.13, 0.62, 0.52
Description: Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS, kernel 4.15.0-39-generic


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: modeset(0): Modeline "1680x1050"x0.0

Liam Proven
On Thu, 15 Nov 2018 at 23:19, Chris <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thanks for getting back to me, but these are not really full answers,
I'm afraid.

> Done, blew out both connectors and reattached

OK. You said later it was a VGA cable. People throw those out by the
dozen now; most monitors come with them but they are a bad, *bad*
choice for an LCD, because the display is digital but the cable is
analogue.

Have you got a spare?

> > What graphics controller do you have?
> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 4 Series Chipset
> Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
> 00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation 4 Series Chipset
> Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)

That doesn't really tell me much except it's a built-in GPU on an Intel chip.

What chip? What motherboard? What computer? What ports does it have?

> Manufacturer: ACR Model 16 Serial Number 2170562977]

Yeah, that does not answer the question.

What make and model is it?

> (Probably too much info)

No, too little.

Look at the label on the front and back of the screen. Don't rely on
stuff the computer tells you.

> > What kind of connection?
> VGA

That's a problem.

Possibly the big one.

Does your PC have other ports?
Does the monitor?
What? List them, all, on both ends, separately.

> > Have you tried updating your firmware?
>
> firmware version shown via apt-search linux-firmware

That stuff is irrelevant.

Look up what motherboard you have. Go to the manufacturer's website.
Find what the latest version is.

Reboot your PC. Go into the firmware settings. See what version it is.

See if it is on an older version than you can download.

--
Liam Proven - Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: [hidden email] - Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus: [hidden email]
Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven - Skype/LinkedIn: liamproven
UK: +44 7939-087884 - ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: modeset(0): Modeline "1680x1050"x0.0

Chris-4
On Fri, 2018-11-16 at 13:20 +0100, Liam Proven wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Nov 2018 at 23:19, Chris <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> Thanks for getting back to me, but these are not really full answers,
> I'm afraid.
>
> > Done, blew out both connectors and reattached
>
> OK. You said later it was a VGA cable. People throw those out by the
> dozen now; most monitors come with them but they are a bad, *bad*
> choice for an LCD, because the display is digital but the cable is
> analogue.
>
> Have you got a spare?
Installed new VGA cable today, no change.

>
> > > What graphics controller do you have?
> >
> > 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 4 Series
> > Chipset
> > Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
> > 00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation 4 Series Chipset
> > Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
>
> That doesn't really tell me much except it's a built-in GPU on an
> Intel chip.
>
> What chip? What motherboard? What computer? What ports does it have?

Chipset
Intel Q45 Express Chipset w/ICH10DO

Can't find info on the MB at the Dell site

Dell Optiplex 780

Video:
VGA 1 Rear
DVI-I Optional via add-in card
DisplayPort 1 Rear

>
> > Manufacturer: ACR Model 16 Serial Number 2170562977]
>
> Yeah, that does not answer the question.
>
> What make and model is it?
>
> > (Probably too much info)
>
> No, too little.
>
> Look at the label on the front and back of the screen. Don't rely on
> stuff the computer tells you.

Acer P221W

>
> > > What kind of connection?
> >
> > VGA
>
> That's a problem.
>
> Possibly the big one.
>
> Does your PC have other ports?
Yes, DisplayPort
> Does the monitor?
Yes DVI

> What? List them, all, on both ends, separately.
>
> > > Have you tried updating your firmware?
> >
> > firmware version shown via apt-search linux-firmware
>
> That stuff is irrelevant.
>
> Look up what motherboard you have. Go to the manufacturer's website.
> Find what the latest version is.
>
> Reboot your PC. Go into the firmware settings. See what version it
> is.
I've updated that a few years ago to the latest A15 for the 780. I've
checked today and there is nothing newer.

I've spent most all day on the Dell site and on Google. I have these
manuals

optiplex-780_service manual2_en-us.pdf
optiplex_780_tech_guidebook_en.pdf
optiplex-780-tech-guide.pdf

I've also got the Dell Diagnostics DVD

--
Chris
31.11972; -97.90167 (Elev. 1092 ft)
17:30:48 up 2:12, 1 user, load average: 0.55, 0.48, 0.51
Description: Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS, kernel 4.15.0-39-generic


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: modeset(0): Modeline "1680x1050"x0.0

Liam Proven
On Sat, 17 Nov 2018 at 02:43, Chris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Have you got a spare?
> Installed new VGA cable today, no change.

That's a pity but was worth a try.
>
> Dell Optiplex 780

OK. I Found specs via Google here:

https://www.cnet.com/products/dell-optiplex-780-core-2-duo-e8400-3-ghz-monitor-none-series/specs/

> Acer P221W

OK. Again, specs:

https://www.cnet.com/products/acer-p221w-lcd-monitor/specs/

So they both should have DVI ports.

Using a DVI-DVI cable will give you a better, sharper picture and I
suspect it may well resolve this re-detection problem.

I don't know where in the world you are, but a DVI-DVI cable should
cost about GBP 3 or USD 4, which is a pretty modest investment. There
is also a good chance one came in the monitor's box, or that you can
find one in a junk bin if you have a local computer store.

> 31.11972; -97.90167 (Elev. 1092 ft)

Aha! I didn't see this before.

North of Austin, TX?

Getting a cable should be pretty easy, then.

BTW, the latest BIOS seems to be A15 from September 2013, so that is
unlikely to help anything much...

--
Liam Proven - Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: [hidden email] - Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus: [hidden email]
Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven - Skype/LinkedIn: liamproven
UK: +44 7939-087884 - ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: modeset(0): Modeline "1680x1050"x0.0

Chris-4
On Mon, 2018-11-19 at 16:04 +0100, Liam Proven wrote:

> On Sat, 17 Nov 2018 at 02:43, Chris <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > > Have you got a spare?
> >
> > Installed new VGA cable today, no change.
>
> That's a pity but was worth a try.
> >
> > Dell Optiplex 780
>
> OK. I Found specs via Google here:
>
>
https://www.cnet.com/products/dell-optiplex-780-core-2-duo-e8400-3-ghz-monitor-none-series/specs/
>
> > Acer P221W
>
> OK. Again, specs:
>
> https://www.cnet.com/products/acer-p221w-lcd-monitor/specs/
>
> So they both should have DVI ports.

Only the monitor, the Dell has VGA and DisplayPort

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vVXSmLbKQXrSZ2po9 photo of back panel

https://photos.app.goo.gl/JNiYbQkzdwpf6XRW7 From manual showing ports


>
> Using a DVI-DVI cable will give you a better, sharper picture and I
> suspect it may well resolve this re-detection problem.

I'll go ahead and order a DisplayPort -> DVI cable from Amazon and see
what happens. Should have it by Wed.

>
> I don't know where in the world you are, but a DVI-DVI cable should
> cost about GBP 3 or USD 4, which is a pretty modest investment. There
> is also a good chance one came in the monitor's box, or that you can
> find one in a junk bin if you have a local computer store.

Being a 'Military Town' most all stores of any type around here are
rip-offs. My best bet as I said above is Amazon.

>
> > 31.11972; -97.90167 (Elev. 1092 ft)
>
> Aha! I didn't see this before.
>
> North of Austin, TX?

Correct, live it Copperas Cove, Tx right next to a major Army base, Ft.
Hood.

>
> Getting a cable should be pretty easy, then.

>
--
Chris
31.11972; -97.90167 (Elev. 1092 ft)
15:04:55 up 2 days, 23:47, 1 user, load average: 1.15, 1.08, 0.70
Description: Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS, kernel 4.15.0-39-generic


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: modeset(0): Modeline "1680x1050"x0.0

Liam Proven
On Mon, 19 Nov 2018 at 22:40, Chris <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > So they both should have DVI ports.
>
> Only the monitor, the Dell has VGA and DisplayPort
>
> https://photos.app.goo.gl/vVXSmLbKQXrSZ2po9 photo of back panel

That's a bit too close to tell.

I saw something that hinted that the DVI port might be an optional
thing on a riser card. Perhaps you don't have that -- or it's lying
forgotten in a box somewhere?

> https://photos.app.goo.gl/JNiYbQkzdwpf6XRW7 From manual showing ports

That's a slightly odd combination -- a parallel port (old tech) and a
DisplayPort (new tech) but no DVI (intermediate in age between the
previous ones).

> I'll go ahead and order a DisplayPort -> DVI cable from Amazon and see
> what happens. Should have it by Wed.

Good plan.

> Being a 'Military Town' most all stores of any type around here are
> rip-offs. My best bet as I said above is Amazon.

OK. I wouldn't know, I am a Brit in the Czech Republic. The only US
city I know at all is NYC and I've only been there twice.

--
Liam Proven - Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: [hidden email] - Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus: [hidden email]
Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven - Skype/LinkedIn: liamproven
UK: +44 7939-087884 - ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: modeset(0): Modeline "1680x1050"x0.0

Chris-4
On Tue, 2018-11-20 at 11:58 +0100, Liam Proven wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Nov 2018 at 22:40, Chris <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > > So they both should have DVI ports.
> >
> > Only the monitor, the Dell has VGA and DisplayPort
> >
> > https://photos.app.goo.gl/vVXSmLbKQXrSZ2po9 photo of back panel
>
> That's a bit too close to tell.
>
> I saw something that hinted that the DVI port might be an optional
> thing on a riser card. Perhaps you don't have that -- or it's lying
> forgotten in a box somewhere?

From the Tech Guidebook for the 780 -

DVI-I Optional via add-in card

>
> > https://photos.app.goo.gl/JNiYbQkzdwpf6XRW7 From manual showing
> > ports
>
> That's a slightly odd combination -- a parallel port (old tech) and a
> DisplayPort (new tech) but no DVI (intermediate in age between the
> previous ones).
>
--
Chris
31.11972; -97.90167 (Elev. 1092 ft)
09:22:13 up 3 days, 18:04, 1 user, load average: 1.31, 0.83, 0.69
Description: Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS, kernel 4.15.0-39-generic


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: modeset(0): Modeline "1680x1050"x0.0

Colin Law
In reply to this post by Chris-4
On Fri, 9 Nov 2018 at 20:59, Chris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Since update to 18.04.1LTS in Aug periodically what's shown here
> https://pastebin.com/CNYfj6xB
> gets output to syslog.

Did you tell us how often it is happening?  I don't know whether you
suspend the PC but if you do then I think it will happen on resume.
Run
tail -f /var/log/syslog | grep -i modeline
and leave the terminal open.  See if it happens when you do something
in particular.

I am seeing a number of these each day, looking at the log, I am
running the command to see when it happens here.

Colin




 I can see that it appears to be informational or

> at least I assume that's what the (II) stands for. I can find nothing
> that actually causes it. At first I thought it was possibly the XFE
> file browser as it seemed to show up when bringing it up but that's
> been proven not true. It's not hurting anything I'm just curious what's
> the cause. Didn't happen with 16.04LTS.
>
> --
> Chris
> 31.11972; -97.90167 (Elev. 1092 ft)
> 14:52:24 up 3 days, 22:24, 1 user, load average: 0.65, 0.43, 0.39
> Description:    Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS, kernel 4.15.0-38-generic
>
>
> --
> ubuntu-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: modeset(0): Modeline "1680x1050"x0.0

Chris-4
On Tue, 2018-11-20 at 15:41 +0000, Colin Law wrote:

> On Fri, 9 Nov 2018 at 20:59, Chris <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Since update to 18.04.1LTS in Aug periodically what's shown here
> > https://pastebin.com/CNYfj6xB
> > gets output to syslog.
>
> Did you tell us how often it is happening?  I don't know whether you
> suspend the PC but if you do then I think it will happen on resume.
> Run
> tail -f /var/log/syslog | grep -i modeline
> and leave the terminal open.  See if it happens when you do something
> in particular.

It's hard to reproduce Colin. No, PC doesn't suspend. I run tail -f on
my syslog each morning when I get up and let it run like that until I
call it a night. The PC stays on 24/7 however. For instance just now I
quit and restarted Evo

Nov 20 10:54:31 localhost /usr/lib/gdm3/gdm-x-session[2192]: (II)
modeset(0): EDID vendor "ACR", prod id 22
Nov 20 10:54:31 localhost /usr/lib/gdm3/gdm-x-session[2192]: (II)
modeset(0): Using hsync ranges from config file
Nov 20 10:54:31 localhost /usr/lib/gdm3/gdm-x-session[2192]: (II)
modeset(0): Using vrefresh ranges from config file
Nov 20 10:54:31 localhost /usr/lib/gdm3/gdm-x-session[2192]: (II)
modeset(0): Printing DDC gathered Modelines:

I just shut down Firefox, it happened, restarted Firefox, did not
happen. Shut Firefox down again, it did not happen. Started Firefox
again, it happened. Started XFE, did not happen, closed XFE it
happened. So, as you can see it appears to be very, very random as to
when it happens. I run logcheck every hour and I can safely say that
immediately after my upgrade to 18.04LTS on Aug 16th this appeared in
my syslog.

> I am seeing a number of these each day, looking at the log, I am
> running the command to see when it happens here.

Glad you said you're seeing the same thing on your end. I was beginning
to think that I was the only person in the whole world that saw this.

--
Chris
31.11972; -97.90167 (Elev. 1092 ft)
10:54:51 up 3 days, 19:37, 1 user, load average: 1.06, 0.44, 0.29
Description: Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS, kernel 4.15.0-39-generic


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: modeset(0): Modeline "1680x1050"x0.0

Chris-4
In reply to this post by Colin Law
On Tue, 2018-11-20 at 15:41 +0000, Colin Law wrote:

> On Fri, 9 Nov 2018 at 20:59, Chris <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Since update to 18.04.1LTS in Aug periodically what's shown here
> > https://pastebin.com/CNYfj6xB
> > gets output to syslog.
>
> Did you tell us how often it is happening?  I don't know whether you
> suspend the PC but if you do then I think it will happen on resume.
> Run
> tail -f /var/log/syslog | grep -i modeline
> and leave the terminal open.  See if it happens when you do something
> in particular.
>
> I am seeing a number of these each day, looking at the log, I am
> running the command to see when it happens here.
>
> Colin
>
I forgot to mention that I've filed these bug reports about this:

https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gdm/issues/418
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=107841
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg-server/+bug/1788739

--
Chris
31.11972; -97.90167 (Elev. 1092 ft)
14:03:02 up 3 days, 22:45, 1 user, load average: 1.34, 1.09, 0.77
Description: Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS, kernel 4.15.0-39-generic


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: modeset(0): Modeline "1680x1050"x0.0

Chris-4
In reply to this post by Colin Law
On Tue, 2018-11-20 at 15:41 +0000, Colin Law wrote:

> On Fri, 9 Nov 2018 at 20:59, Chris <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Since update to 18.04.1LTS in Aug periodically what's shown here
> > https://pastebin.com/CNYfj6xB
> > gets output to syslog.
>
> Did you tell us how often it is happening?  I don't know whether you
> suspend the PC but if you do then I think it will happen on resume.
> Run
> tail -f /var/log/syslog | grep -i modeline
> and leave the terminal open.  See if it happens when you do something
> in particular.
>
> I am seeing a number of these each day, looking at the log, I am
> running the command to see when it happens here.
>
> Colin
>
Since my posts never make it back to me for some unknown reason I'll
have to again reply to this. While I was gone this morning and the PC
was idle, no applications were being started/stopped, the modeset info
was written to syslog:

Nov 21 10:32:20 localhost /usr/lib/gdm3/gdm-x-session[2285]: (II)
modeset(0): EDID vendor "ACR", prod id 22
.....
Nov 21 10:32:23 localhost /usr/lib/gdm3/gdm-x-session[2285]: (II)
modeset(0): Modeline "1280x720"x60.0

It was actually written 4 times in 3sec.

--
Chris
31.11972; -97.90167 (Elev. 1092 ft)
10:54:40 up 19:44, 1 user, load average: 0.97, 0.69, 0.42
Description: Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS, kernel 4.15.0-39-generic


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: modeset(0): Modeline "1680x1050"x0.0

Liam Proven
On Wed, 21 Nov 2018 at 18:01, Chris <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Since my posts never make it back to me for some unknown reason

Normal behavious for Gmail.

> I'll
> have to again reply to this. While I was gone this morning and the PC
> was idle, no applications were being started/stopped, the modeset info
> was written to syslog:

I can see it would be annoying but are there any harmful side-effects?

--
Liam Proven - Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: [hidden email] - Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus: [hidden email]
Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven - Skype/LinkedIn: liamproven
UK: +44 7939-087884 - ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: modeset(0): Modeline "1680x1050"x0.0

Chris-4
On Wed, 2018-11-21 at 19:12 +0100, Liam Proven wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Nov 2018 at 18:01, Chris <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> >
> > I'll
> > have to again reply to this. While I was gone this morning and the
> > PC
> > was idle, no applications were being started/stopped, the modeset
> > info
> > was written to syslog:
>
> I can see it would be annoying but are there any harmful side-
> effects?
>
None at all actually. Just as you said, it's annoying. I got my new
cable just now and I'll put it on later this afternoon. I'll be
surprised if going from DisplayPort to DVI will have any effect.
But, I'll let you know either way.

--
Chris
31.11972; -97.90167 (Elev. 1092 ft)
12:21:06 up 21:10, 1 user, load average: 0.68, 0.26, 0.24
Description: Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS, kernel 4.15.0-39-generic


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: modeset(0): Modeline "1680x1050"x0.0

Chris-4
In reply to this post by Liam Proven
On Wed, 2018-11-21 at 19:12 +0100, Liam Proven wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Nov 2018 at 18:01, Chris <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Since my posts never make it back to me for some unknown reason
>
> Normal behavious for Gmail.
>
> > I'll
> > have to again reply to this. While I was gone this morning and the
> > PC
> > was idle, no applications were being started/stopped, the modeset
> > info
> > was written to syslog:
>
> I can see it would be annoying but are there any harmful side-
> effects?

The DisplayPort (PC) -> DVI (Monitor) made absolutely no difference

Nov 21 16:25:50 localhost /usr/lib/gdm3/gdm-x-session[2251]: (II)
modeset(0): EDID vendor "ACR", prod id 22
...
Nov 21 16:25:57 localhost /usr/lib/gdm3/gdm-x-session[2251]: (II)
modeset(0): Modeline "1280x720"x60.0

Guess I'm stuck with it unless someone else with this has an answer.
Personally I just don't like something in my syslog that I can't figure
out why it's there.

--
Chris
31.11972; -97.90167 (Elev. 1092 ft)
16:26:53 up 7 min, 1 user, load average: 13.10, 7.87, 3.67
Description: Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS, kernel 4.15.0-39-generic


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: modeset(0): Modeline "1680x1050"x0.0

Liam Proven
>
> The DisplayPort (PC) -> DVI (Monitor) made absolutely no difference

Oh dear. I'm sorry to hear that. Can you at least see a sharper image?
I can tell the difference between an LCD over VGA and over a digital
connection, and my eyes are poor.

> Guess I'm stuck with it unless someone else with this has an answer.
> Personally I just don't like something in my syslog that I can't figure
> out why it's there.

I sympathise but I fear you are...

Silly question. You *did* remove the VGA cable, right?

Another one springs to mind: does the monitor have the ability to
autosense which port it's connected by? If so, you might want to turn
that off. Perhaps the current port drops out for a fraction of a
second while it scans the other ones, and that makes Linux re-detect
it...


--
Liam Proven - Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: [hidden email] - Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus: [hidden email]
Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven - Skype/LinkedIn: liamproven
UK: +44 7939-087884 - ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: modeset(0): Modeline "1680x1050"x0.0

Chris-4
On Fri, 2018-11-23 at 14:46 +0100, Liam Proven wrote:
> >
> > The DisplayPort (PC) -> DVI (Monitor) made absolutely no difference
>
> Oh dear. I'm sorry to hear that. Can you at least see a sharper
> image?
> I can tell the difference between an LCD over VGA and over a digital
> connection, and my eyes are poor.
To be honest no I can't tell the difference however my eyes aren't the
greatest either. Possibly if I tried a different Gnome theme I'd be
able to.

>
> > Guess I'm stuck with it unless someone else with this has an
> > answer.
> > Personally I just don't like something in my syslog that I can't
> > figure
> > out why it's there.
>
> I sympathise but I fear you are...
>
> Silly question. You *did* remove the VGA cable, right?
Yep :)
>
> Another one springs to mind: does the monitor have the ability to
> autosense which port it's connected by? If so, you might want to turn
> that off. Perhaps the current port drops out for a fraction of a
> second while it scans the other ones, and that makes Linux re-detect
> it...
That I'm not sure of however the question comes to mind that why did
this only start when I upgraded from 16.04.5LTS to 18.04.1LTS? In fact
it started as soon as I booted into the new version.

Do you see anything in the ~/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.0.log -
https://pastebin.com/xdP4GY6G that could be the cause?

--
Chris
31.11972; -97.90167 (Elev. 1092 ft)
08:25:28 up 1 day, 16:05, 1 user, load average: 0.94, 0.92, 0.75
Description: Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS, kernel 4.15.0-39-generic


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: modeset(0): Modeline "1680x1050"x0.0

Liam Proven
On Fri, 23 Nov 2018 at 16:32, Chris <[hidden email]> wrote:

> To be honest no I can't tell the difference however my eyes aren't the
> greatest either. Possibly if I tried a different Gnome theme I'd be
> able to.

Hmmm.

Generally, the image should fit _exactly_ onto the screen with no need
for any size or positioning adjustment. Any moiré patterning should
have disappeared. The image should blink into view instantly with no
delay for adjustment or sensing of picture size.

> > Silly question. You *did* remove the VGA cable, right?
> Yep :)

I've done it myself!

> That I'm not sure of however the question comes to mind that why did
> this only start when I upgraded from 16.04.5LTS to 18.04.1LTS? In fact
> it started as soon as I booted into the new version.

Well, I had this with about 13.04 or so.

Actually, hang on, I asked on the list...
*new Gmail tab*
*searches*
*gotcha*

I'll post it below my sig.

As you'll see, with a new version, screen detection failed.

I traced it: with a BNC to VGA cable, 12.04 just trusted me what the
screen was and let me set the resolution.
12.10 didn't. It tried to detect it, couldn't because the BNC cable
does not pass EDID infomation, and left me stuck in 640*480.

I had to replace the cable.

But it was working fine for several versions before that.

So, an analogous problem to yours.

> Do you see anything in the ~/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.0.log -
> https://pastebin.com/xdP4GY6G that could be the cause?

Is that the same one as before? It seems to be sensing via a VGA port.

--
Liam Proven - Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: [hidden email] - Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus: [hidden email]
Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven - Skype/LinkedIn: liamproven
UK: +44 7939-087884 - ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053


-----


---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Liam Proven <[hidden email]>
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 at 22:39
Subject: Quantal - unable to set screen resolution
To: Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions
<[hidden email]>


I installed 12.10 on my machine tonight - happily, in a separate
partition, replacing my old 11.10 install and leaving 12.04 in place.

I say happily because it's not working very well.

Firstly, the nVidia drivers wouldn't work. Trying to change or remove
them without a window manager was... /challenging/ but fortunately I
could open a terminal with Ctrl-Alt-t, even though I had no menu bar
or launcher.

Some digging around on the command line suggested that
gnome-control-center might be the "system settings" control panel.
(Why not call it "control centre" if that's its name?)

Anyway, I ran that, went to Software Sources, tried all the 4 nVidia
drivers on offer - current, current-updates, 304 and 310 - none
worked. I went back to Nouveau but now that only gave me 640*480 and
no ability to change.

Using my Mac, I found this very useful page:
http://techhamlet.com/2012/11/install-nvidia-drivers-in-ubuntu-12-10/

This enabled me to remove and reinstall them in a working manner.

Now I have my main screen running at 1600*1200 again.

The snag is, my second screen, the right-hand one, is stuck at 640*480.

I can find no way to change this - nVidia-settings seems to think this
is all it can do.

I think I know why; the right-hand screen is connected with BNC plugs,
the left hand one with a VGA-VGA cable. This means no EDID data is
getting back to the graphics card.

However, that doesn't help me. It worked fine in 12.04 and 11.10!

Anyone got any ideas how to fix this?

I don't have a spare VGA-VGA cable, but I will see if I can get one
and swap over... that might help. BNC gives better image quality,
though.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
12