more "-dbg" debugging packages

Christian Neumair
I'd appreciate if Ubuntu included more debugging packages. The core
GNOME desktop does have quite a notable amount of debugging packages.

libpoppler-dbg and libdbus-dbg are relevant for me, but I'm sure that
there are many more libraries where debugging packages are very useful
but not distributed as of writing, requiring the user who is willing to
provide backtraces to compile the packages him/herself.

This mail is meant to ask you for a list of other packages where you
need extra debugging packages, but also to encourage packagers to
distribute "-dbg" packages for those packages where nontrivial
hardly-tracable crashers are known to occur frequently, and to start a
general discussion on "-dbg" package policy.

--
Christian Neumair <[hidden email]>

Re: more "-dbg" debugging packages

MadMan2k
Christian Neumair wrote:

> I'd appreciate if Ubuntu included more debugging packages. The core
> GNOME desktop does have quite a notable amount of debugging packages.
>
> libpoppler-dbg and libdbus-dbg are relevant for me, but I'm sure that
> there are many more libraries where debugging packages are very useful
> but not distributed as of writing, requiring the user who is willing to
> provide backtraces to compile the packages him/herself.
>
> This mail is meant to ask you for a list of other packages where you
> need extra debugging packages, but also to encourage packagers to
> distribute "-dbg" packages for those packages where nontrivial
> hardly-tracable crashers are known to occur frequently, and to start a
> general discussion on "-dbg" package policy.
there already was a similar discussion:
http://archives.free.net.ph/message/20060113.155353.8e0add78.en.html

M2k

Re: more "-dbg" debugging packages

Sebastien Bacher
Le dimanche 22 janvier 2006 à 19:18 +0100, Christian Neumair a écrit :

> I'd appreciate if Ubuntu included more debugging packages. The core
> GNOME desktop does have quite a notable amount of debugging packages.
>
> libpoppler-dbg and libdbus-dbg are relevant for me, but I'm sure that
> there are many more libraries where debugging packages are very useful
> but not distributed as of writing, requiring the user who is willing to
> provide backtraces to compile the packages him/herself.
>
> This mail is meant to ask you for a list of other packages where you
> need extra debugging packages, but also to encourage packagers to
> distribute "-dbg" packages for those packages where nontrivial
> hardly-tracable crashers are known to occur frequently, and to start a
> general discussion on "-dbg" package policy.

Hi Christian,

Debug packages for the whole archive would be really appreciated by many
people and would make distribution and upstream job easier (I've built
debug versions for most of GNOME on my people page for hoary by example
to have something to point to people to get debug backtraces when they
have a crasher). That topic has been already discussed several time and
spec-ed, you can read about it on the Ubuntu wiki:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/AutomatedProblemReports ("Debug symbol
extraction")

The specification has been approved but is considered low priority at
the moment. Maybe with some people contributing that could be done for
dapper though. Martin you probably know the topic better, any opinion on
that?

Cheers,

Sebastien Bacher

Re: more "-dbg" debugging packages

Martin Pitt-4
Hi Christian!

Christian Neumair [2006-01-22 19:18 +0100]:
> I'd appreciate if Ubuntu included more debugging packages. The core
> GNOME desktop does have quite a notable amount of debugging packages.

NB that we want to implement a more general and less clutterful
solution eventually: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/AutomatedProblemReports

However, this isn't going to make it for Dapper.

Martin

--
Martin Pitt              http://www.piware.de
Ubuntu Developer   http://www.ubuntulinux.org