mouse / keyboard input oddity

R Kimber-2
Since upgrading to Ubuntu Mate 17.04 I've experienced a slightly irritating
problem. After a short period of inactivity (not sure how long but <30
mins), when I return to the PC a mouse click or a single key press will not
achieve anything. Keyboard input is accepted on the second key press, and
mouse clicks are accepted only after I have pressed a key on the keyboard.
Ctrl-F (say) seems to work immediately, however.

Has anyone else experienced this? And is there a simple solution?

There is a similar situation when I try to log in. I have it set so that I
can log in without a password.  This worked fine with 16.10, but with 17.04
I just get a blank Ubuntu screen (i.e. just a logo) and nothing happens
until I press a couple of keys.

It's not a mega problem, but it irritates :)

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber

Re: mouse / keyboard input oddity

Liam Proven
On 19 May 2017 at 16:15, R Kimber <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Since upgrading to Ubuntu Mate 17.04 I've experienced a slightly irritating
> problem. After a short period of inactivity (not sure how long but <30
> mins), when I return to the PC a mouse click or a single key press will not
> achieve anything. Keyboard input is accepted on the second key press, and
> mouse clicks are accepted only after I have pressed a key on the keyboard.
> Ctrl-F (say) seems to work immediately, however.
>
> Has anyone else experienced this? And is there a simple solution?
>
> There is a similar situation when I try to log in. I have it set so that I
> can log in without a password.  This worked fine with 16.10, but with 17.04
> I just get a blank Ubuntu screen (i.e. just a logo) and nothing happens
> until I press a couple of keys.
>
> It's not a mega problem, but it irritates :)

What kind of keyboard and mouse?

Re: mouse / keyboard input oddity

R Kimber-2
On Fri, 19 May 2017 16:25:18 +0200
Liam Proven wrote:

> What kind of keyboard and mouse?

Sorry for the slow reply - my ISP has only just sent me your message !

Keyboard is Microsoft Natural MultiMedia 1.0A (the Keyboard Preferences
recognise it as a Microsoft Internet Keyboard) and mouse is a no name
optical usb mouse made in China. Never had any problems before, so it's
likely a software/setup issue.

- Richard

On 22 May 2017 at 14:24, R Kimber <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Sorry for the slow reply - my ISP has only just sent me your message !
>
> Keyboard is Microsoft Natural MultiMedia 1.0A (the Keyboard Preferences
> recognise it as a Microsoft Internet Keyboard) and mouse is a no name
> optical usb mouse made in China. Never had any problems before, so it's
> likely a software/setup issue.

OK, some of the info, but not all.

What ports are they connected to? Wired or wireless? Any other
wireless devices? Any other available ports? Have you tried swapping
to different ports?