moving icons on desktop in Unity 13.10

c. marlow
Hi,

I am having an issue with moving desktop icons...

When I want to move a screenshot or folder I click once then hold down
and move well when I do that it opens the folder or image everytime.
Then sometimes it shows the hand or cloud looking icon and I can move
it...

Thanks for the help

Re: moving icons on desktop in Unity 13.10

Colin Law
On 10 April 2014 01:42, c. marlow <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am having an issue with moving desktop icons...
>
> When I want to move a screenshot or folder I click once then hold down
> and move well when I do that it opens the folder or image everytime.
> Then sometimes it shows the hand or cloud looking icon and I can move
> it...

Do you mean you click and let go and then click and drag?

Colin

Re: moving icons on desktop in Unity 13.10

Pete Smout-2
On 10/04/14 08:26, Colin Law wrote:

> On 10 April 2014 01:42, c. marlow <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am having an issue with moving desktop icons...
>>
>> When I want to move a screenshot or folder I click once then hold down
>> and move well when I do that it opens the folder or image everytime.
>> Then sometimes it shows the hand or cloud looking icon and I can move
>> it...
>
> Do you mean you click and let go and then click and drag?
>
> Colin

Hi,
There is a setting (in the same place as 'single click to open' of hover
over to open files try disabling that completely

 From memory it is in the nautilus preferences on the behaviour tab

Sorry I cannot be more helpful on windows at work ATM, not in front of
my 13.10 box!

Regards

Pete S

On Thu, 2014-04-10 at 08:26 +0100, Colin Law wrote:

> On 10 April 2014 01:42, c. marlow <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am having an issue with moving desktop icons...
> >
> > When I want to move a screenshot or folder I click once then hold down
> > and move well when I do that it opens the folder or image everytime.
> > Then sometimes it shows the hand or cloud looking icon and I can move
> > it...
>
> Do you mean you click and let go and then click and drag?
>
> Colin

Ah I dont let go I just keep holding on and pull it. I have noticed that
since I turned down the double click to the lowest time ( to slow) in
unity its not opening them when I drag them now.

I do think Unity has a memory leak in 13.10 just turned the screen on
( dozed off didnt put the pc to sleep just turned monitor off)  and its
using almost a gig and NOTHING is open. But log out and back in the
usage drops to like 400 MB right now its about 949 MB.
--
c. marlow <[hidden email]>

Re: moving icons on desktop in Unity 13.10

c. marlow
On Thu, 2014-04-10 at 08:26 +0100, Colin Law wrote:

> On 10 April 2014 01:42, c. marlow <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am having an issue with moving desktop icons...
> >
> > When I want to move a screenshot or folder I click once then hold down
> > and move well when I do that it opens the folder or image everytime.
> > Then sometimes it shows the hand or cloud looking icon and I can move
> > it...
>
> Do you mean you click and let go and then click and drag?
>
> Colin

Interesting... When moving icons on the desktop for some reason the
unity bar on the left goes dark like your trying to drag the icon over
to mark it on the bar. but now that its hidden its not doing that right
now. But you kind of have to move it then stop if not if you stop then
click again then pull on it to move it where you want it, it keeps
opening the folder. I swear I am not going crazy lol.
--
c. marlow <[hidden email]>

Re: moving icons on desktop in Unity 13.10

Florian Diesch
Am Thu, 10 Apr 2014 21:22:47 -0500
schrieb "c. marlow" <[hidden email]>:

> Interesting... When moving icons on the desktop for some reason the
> unity bar on the left goes dark like your trying to drag the icon over
> to mark it on the bar. but now that its hidden its not doing that
> right now. But you kind of have to move it then stop if not if you
> stop then click again then pull on it to move it where you want it,
> it keeps opening the folder. I swear I am not going crazy lol.

Maybe it's related to this bug:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+bug/1278437

--
GtkFalse - a GUI version of /bin/false.