moving system hard drive to new box

David-99
Forgive me if this question has been answered elsewhere.

I need a faster processor, but I've spent lots of effort setting up my
current Ubuntu as I like it.

Is it possible to install my existing hard drive into a new box and make
it boot nicely?

David.

Re: moving system hard drive to new box

Haris Peco
probably, if ubuntu recognize your new disk controller
(and other hardware, but this is probably ok)
you have to set that your disk is boot disk and it is all
however, you have to try
On Thursday 15 December 2005 11:47 pm, David wrote:

> Forgive me if this question has been answered elsewhere.
>
> I need a faster processor, but I've spent lots of effort setting up my
> current Ubuntu as I like it.
>
> Is it possible to install my existing hard drive into a new box and make
> it boot nicely?
>
> David.

Re: moving system hard drive to new box

Darryl Clarke
On 12/15/05, David <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Forgive me if this question has been answered elsewhere.
>
> I need a faster processor, but I've spent lots of effort setting up my
> current Ubuntu as I like it.
>
> Is it possible to install my existing hard drive into a new box and make
> it boot nicely?

Yes.  Typically this works without any issues (assuming all your new
hardware is actually supported)

My only recommendation is to make sure your drive is in the same
position on the controller as it is in your current box.  example; if
it's /dev/hda (primary master) keep it that way.

That avoids any crazy configuration problems with the bootloader itself.

--
~ Darryl  ~ [hidden email]
http://smartssa.com / http://darrylclarke.com