mpd not starting

Phil
Thank you for reading this.

It's been awhile since I've used Kubuntu because my desktop computer
failed. This is how I had started mpd on my Raspberry pi:

sudo service mpd start

and now this is the response:

Job for mpd.socket failed.
See "systemctl status mpd.socket" and "journalctl -xe" for details.

Those two only tell me that mpd failed to start.

Any suggestions?

Phil

Re: mpd not starting

Karl Auer
On Sat, 2017-07-15 at 17:00 +1000, Phil wrote:
> It's been awhile since I've used Kubuntu because my desktop computer
> failed. This is how I had started mpd on my Raspberry pi:
>
> sudo service mpd start
> and now this is the response:
> Job for mpd.socket failed.
> See "systemctl status mpd.socket" and "journalctl -xe" for details.

Is this on a Pi or on Kubuntu (or Kubuntu on a Pi?!?)

> Those two only tell me that mpd failed to start.
> Any suggestions?

TBH don't know what journalctl does, but I keep seeing it mentioned so
probably should go find out :-)

Check in /var/log/syslog for messages, though I suspect you will still
see only that it "failed to start".

When something used to work and now doesn't you can be sure that
something has changed. The usual suspects are usually worth checking:
Any updates to the package? Still got enough disk space and enough RAM?
Still being started by the same user, and one with enough permissions?
Are you starting it with enough permissions (not being able to create
PID files is a classic symptom of bad permissions - see if there's a
PID file in /var/run and see who owns it). Using sudo is no guarantee
of the right permissions - a lot of programs switch users after
starting. If mpd has a special user, check that that user has the
necessary permissions.

Since it's a socket, network stuff may come into play too. My gut
feeling (since sockets are extremely simple beasts) would be that mpd
is already running! Or at least the socket is. Check whether anything
is listening on whatever port it uses - google says 6600, so "netstat
-an | grep 6600". I'd have thought that problem would be logged though.
Is the program tied to particular interfaces? If so, are they still
there, with the same names?

Finally (and I hate suggesting this) you could try rebooting just to
make sure that everything is started again and in the right order. If
that doesn't work, you could also try uninstalling and re-installing
the package.

BTW I do not use and know nothing about mpd, so take anything I say on
the matter with a grain of salt.

Regards, K.

Karl Auer ([hidden email])
http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer
http://twitter.com/kauer389

GPG fingerprint: A52E F6B9 708B 51C4 85E6 1634 0571 ADF9 3C1C 6A3A
Old fingerprint: E00D 64ED 9C6A 8605 21E0 0ED0 EE64 2BEE CBCB C38B

Re: mpd not starting

Colin Law
On 15 July 2017 at 08:00, Phil <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you for reading this.
>
> It's been awhile since I've used Kubuntu because my desktop computer failed.
> This is how I had started mpd on my Raspberry pi:
>
> sudo service mpd start
>
> and now this is the response:
>
> Job for mpd.socket failed.
> See "systemctl status mpd.socket" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
>
> Those two only tell me that mpd failed to start.

Run them with sudo and you should get more details

Colin

Re: mpd not starting

Phil
On 15/07/17 17:32, Karl Auer wrote:

> On Sat, 2017-07-15 at 17:00 +1000, Phil wrote:
>> It's been awhile since I've used Kubuntu because my desktop computer
>> failed. This is how I had started mpd on my Raspberry pi:
>>
>> sudo service mpd start
>> and now this is the response:
>> Job for mpd.socket failed.
>> See "systemctl status mpd.socket" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
>
> Is this on a Pi or on Kubuntu (or Kubuntu on a Pi?!?)

Thanks for your quick response Karl,

mpd and mpc work perfectly on the Raspberry pi but not under Kubuntu on
my new secondhand laptop. So something is different under Kubuntu. I
haven't discovered anything via the Internet but I'll keep looking.

Thanks for the suggestion Colin, I'll check.

Phil

Re: mpd not starting

Ralf Mardorf-2
What release are you using? Run

  $ lsb_release -rc

and post the command and it's output.

See

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MPD

Maybe also helpful

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Music_Player_Daemon

If you run a command that fails, then don't just post what you think is
relevant, please post the command itself and the complete output.

Re: mpd not starting

Karl Auer
On Sat, 2017-07-15 at 17:52 +1000, Phil wrote:
> On 15/07/17 17:32, Karl Auer wrote:
> > Is this on a Pi or on Kubuntu (or Kubuntu on a Pi?!?)
> Thanks for your quick response Karl,

Same time zone +- three hours :-)

> mpd and mpc work perfectly on the Raspberry pi but not under Kubuntu
> on my new secondhand laptop. So something is different under Kubuntu.
> I haven't discovered anything via the Internet but I'll keep looking.

It could conceivably be the sound system. Do you get sound on the
laptop?

Also, check everything vewy vewy carefuwwy to make sure it is actually
the same on both systems - configs, users, user permissions etc.

Also, just to clarify - was mpd ever working properly on your Kubuntu
system? You said it was new, so I'm guessing not.

Regards, K.

Karl Auer ([hidden email])
http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer
http://twitter.com/kauer389

GPG fingerprint: A52E F6B9 708B 51C4 85E6 1634 0571 ADF9 3C1C 6A3A
Old fingerprint: E00D 64ED 9C6A 8605 21E0 0ED0 EE64 2BEE CBCB C38B

Re: mpd not starting - solved

Phil
On 15/07/17 18:19, Karl Auer wrote:
> Also, just to clarify - was mpd ever working properly on your Kubuntu
> system? You said it was new, so I'm guessing not.

Thanks again Karl,

I wasn't aware of mpd or mpc until my desktop computer died and I then
started to use my Raspberry pi as a desktop substitute. Mpd and mpc had
worked so effortlessly on the pi so I though I'd try it on my new
secondhand laptop operating under Kubuntu.

I now have a workaround that allows me to listen to my favorite Internet
radio stations using Amrok (I was going to try VLC but Amrok was
installed by default), so problem solved.

Phil

Re: mpd not starting - solved

Karl Auer
On Sat, 2017-07-15 at 20:01 +1000, Phil wrote:
> I wasn't aware of mpd or mpc until my desktop computer died and I
> then started to use my Raspberry pi as a desktop substitute.

Nice stopgap, but I find the Pi a leetle slow for most use. However, I
have a Pi3 running the company wiki (MoinMoin) and it works an absolute
treat. Plus I have an old Canon MFC attached to it, so I can scan over
the network. And it runs my internal DNS zones. They are *great* little
machines, and the fact that Raspbian is available makes them feel very
like Ubuntu when working on them.

> I now have a workaround that allows me to listen to my favorite
> Internet radio stations using Amrok (I was going to try VLC but Amrok
> was installed by default), so problem solved.

Well - not really solved, just bypassed. Sometime when you feel strong,
try uninstalling and re-installing them...

Rhythmbox does Internet Radio too.