mutt

eric dan
hi,
i set up mutt getmail and msmtp to retrieve pop mail from my univeristies server. everthing works out fine except that it appears as if the mailis coming from [hidden email] instead of from [hidden email]. vladuz976 is my username on my box and box is my hostname on my computer, westell is the router i use.
where can i change that to my server's username and domain?
thanks.

~/.mutt/muttrc:
set realname='Eric Dan'

set sendmail="/usr/bin/msmtp"

set edit_headers=yes
set folder=~/mail
set mbox=+mbox
set spoolfile=+inbox
set record=+sent
set postponed=+drafts
set mbox_type=Maildir

mailboxes +inbox +enlightenment +arch

macro index G"!getmail\n" "Invoke getmail"
macro pager G"!getmail\n" "Invoke getmail"
macro pager \cb |w3m\n

~/.msmtprc:
account default
host mail.ucla.edu
port 25
protocol smtp
auth on
from [hidden email]
user ericdan
password mypassword
tls on
tls_starttls on

~/.getmail/getmailrc:
[retriever]
type = SimplePOP3SSLRetriever
server = mail.ucla.edu
username = ericdan
password = mypassword

[destination]
type = MDA_external
path = /usr/bin/procmail
message_log= /home/vladuz976/.getmail.log
unixfrom = True

Re: mutt

Peter Eis
eric dan wrote:

> hi,
> i set up mutt getmail and msmtp to retrieve pop mail from my
> univeristies server. everthing works out fine except that it appears
> as if the mailis coming from [hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]> instead of from
> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>. vladuz976 is my username
> on my box and box is my hostname on my computer, westell is the router
> i use.
> where can i change that to my server's username and domain?
> thanks.
>
> ~/.mutt/muttrc:
> set realname='Eric Dan'

set from  = "[hidden email]"
set use_from
set envelope_from

HTH,
Peter

Re: mutt

eric dan
yeah, that did it thanks a lot.
is there another option to leave mail on the server but not get the same mail all the time again when i retrieve it?
right now i have 5 copies of all messages in my inbox and everytime i use getmail i get another one.

eric

On 11/5/05, Peter Eis <[hidden email]> wrote:
eric dan wrote:

> hi,
> i set up mutt getmail and msmtp to retrieve pop mail from my
> univeristies server. everthing works out fine except that it appears
> as if the mailis coming from [hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]> instead of from
> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>. vladuz976 is my username
> on my box and box is my hostname on my computer, westell is the router
> i use.
> where can i change that to my server's username and domain?
> thanks.
>
> ~/.mutt/muttrc:
> set realname='Eric Dan'

set from  = "[hidden email]"
set use_from
set envelope_from

HTH,
Peter

Re: mutt

Bas van Gils-3
On Sat, Nov 05, 2005 at 10:53:07AM -0800, eric dan wrote:
>    is there another option to leave mail on the server but not get the
>    same mail all the time again when i retrieve it?
>    right now i have 5 copies of all messages in my inbox and everytime i
>    use getmail i get another one.

Hi,

I'm not 100% up to speed with getmail but I thought I'd post anyway to see if
I could help. I use fetchmail rather than getmail (and wrote a short howto to
setup fetchmail with procmail [1]). In man fetchmail I read:

       -a | --all
              (Keyword:  fetchall)  Retrieve  both old (seen) and new messages
              from the mailserver.  The default is to fetch only messages  the
              server has not marked seen.  Under POP3, this option also forces
              the use of RETR rather  than  TOP.   Note  that  POP2  retrieval
              behaves  as  though  --all  is  always on (see RETRIEVAL FAILURE
              MODES below) and this option does not work with ETRN or ODMR.

       -k | --keep
              (Keyword:  keep)  Keep  retrieved   messages   on   the   remote
              mailserver.   Normally,  messages are deleted from the folder on
              the mailserver after they have been retrieved.   Specifying  the
              keep  option  causes retrieved messages to remain in your folder
              on the mailserver.  This option does not work with ETRN or ODMR.

This tells me that if you use fetchmail *with* the -k and *without* the -a
option you get exactly what you want. Perhaps getmail has similar options, you
could check the man pages I suppose...

Hope this helps,

  Bas

[1] http://osiris.cs.kun.nl/~basvg/misc/howto.html

--
<[hidden email]> - GPG Key ID: 2768A493  -  http://www.cs.ru.nl/~basvg
Radboud University Nijmegen Institute for Computing and Information Sciences