netatalk and old old macintoches

Shelagh Manton
Hello,
I cranked up my mother's old old macintosh the other day (os 8.4) and
tried out the netatalk software to speak over the network with it. There
are some files on it we need and the printer cables are missing and the
floppy drive appears to have died. However, I can't get things working at
all and in fact it appears to have b*ggered the partially functional samba
thing we did have working on our network.

Are there any netatalk gurus out there? And maybe while we're at it a
samba guru or two might be useful too!

Shelagh

Re: netatalk and old old macintoches

David Strauss-2
On Sun, 2006-01-08 at 10:27 +1100, Shelagh Manton wrote:

> Hello,
> I cranked up my mother's old old macintosh the other day (os 8.4) and
> tried out the netatalk software to speak over the network with it. There
> are some files on it we need and the printer cables are missing and the
> floppy drive appears to have died. However, I can't get things working at
> all and in fact it appears to have b*ggered the partially functional samba
> thing we did have working on our network.
>
> Are there any netatalk gurus out there? And maybe while we're at it a
> samba guru or two might be useful too!
>
> Shelagh

I highly recommend using FTP instead.

--
David Strauss <[hidden email]>

On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 17:37:02 -0600, David Strauss wrote:

> On Sun, 2006-01-08 at 10:27 +1100, Shelagh Manton wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I cranked up my mother's old old macintosh the other day (os 8.4) and
>> tried out the netatalk software to speak over the network with it. There
>> are some files on it we need and the printer cables are missing and the
>> floppy drive appears to have died. However, I can't get things working at
>> all and in fact it appears to have b*ggered the partially functional samba
>> thing we did have working on our network.
>>
>> Are there any netatalk gurus out there? And maybe while we're at it a
>> samba guru or two might be useful too!
>>
>> Shelagh
>
> I highly recommend using FTP instead.

OK, so how do I go about this? I am truly ignorant of some things.
Can I do this without trying to install new software? This machine was
bought second hand off a school, so we don't have the disks, the floppy is
not accepting or formatting floppies, it doesn't seem to respond to the
network and to top it all off (I've never tried to use the internet with
it before so I didn't know this one) Netscape explorer is on another
macintosh in the school lab and it doesn't have its own copy. Poor thing
it probably suffers loneliness without its mates in the lab! Regressing
into itself as it becomes more and more isolated and shut off from the
rest of the wired world. Sorry, I'll wake up now!

Any way, is it hopeless ? Or can I do something at all.

SOM

Re: netatalk and old old macintoches

Mike Bird-6
On Sat, 2006-01-07 at 15:27, Shelagh Manton wrote:
> I cranked up my mother's old old macintosh the other day (os 8.4) and
> tried out the netatalk software to speak over the network with it. There
> are some files on it we need and the printer cables are missing and the
> floppy drive appears to have died. However, I can't get things working at
> all and in fact it appears to have b*ggered the partially functional samba
> thing we did have working on our network.
>
> Are there any netatalk gurus out there? And maybe while we're at it a
> samba guru or two might be useful too!

We've never been able to get Breezy's netatalk to work with some of
the 8.x and 9.x Mac OS's, although I don't recall whether 8.4 was
on the list.  In any event, we use Hoary's netatalk in a mostly
Breezy configuration to avoid netatalk problems.

We use a non-standard technique which works with our software but
would not be of much help to you.  However, if you Google "Debian
Apt Pinning" without the quotes you should find the answer, or you
can apt-get install a particular version if you read "man apt-get".

If you're not yet comfortable with this level of sysadmin task
your options are to revert to Hoary, switch to Debian Stable or
another distro, or wait for a fix sometime in an improbable
future.

(Bendacht for cech N-Oen legfas:  Flame-warriors please leave
this alone.  People can search the recent archives if they need
further information.)

--Mike Bird

On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 16:51:26 -0800, Mike Bird wrote:

> On Sat, 2006-01-07 at 15:27, Shelagh Manton wrote:
>> I cranked up my mother's old old macintosh the other day (os 8.4) and
>> tried out the netatalk software to speak over the network with it. There
>> are some files on it we need and the printer cables are missing and the
>> floppy drive appears to have died. However, I can't get things working at
>> all and in fact it appears to have b*ggered the partially functional samba
>> thing we did have working on our network.
>>
>> Are there any netatalk gurus out there? And maybe while we're at it a
>> samba guru or two might be useful too!
>
> We've never been able to get Breezy's netatalk to work with some of
> the 8.x and 9.x Mac OS's, although I don't recall whether 8.4 was
> on the list.  In any event, we use Hoary's netatalk in a mostly
> Breezy configuration to avoid netatalk problems.
>
> We use a non-standard technique which works with our software but
> would not be of much help to you.  However, if you Google "Debian
> Apt Pinning" without the quotes you should find the answer, or you
> can apt-get install a particular version if you read "man apt-get".
>
> If you're not yet comfortable with this level of sysadmin task
> your options are to revert to Hoary, switch to Debian Stable or
> another distro, or wait for a fix sometime in an improbable
> future.
>
> (Bendacht for cech N-Oen legfas:  Flame-warriors please leave
> this alone.  People can search the recent archives if they need
> further information.)
>
> --Mike Bird
Oh dear,

Looks like the low tech version of starting up the mac and retyping the
file on my machine is the quickest solution.

Shelagh
much

Re: netatalk and old old macintoches

Eric Dunbar
Do you have some app on the Mac that you could use as an FTP client?

What model Mac? What apps are available (Internet Explorer, Cyberdog
(old web browser), Netscape, NCSA telnet)?

What version of Mac OS? (8.4 doesn't exist ;-) Select Apple-About this
Mac and it'll tell you what version.

Also, you could (possibly) turn on "web sharing" on the Mac and start
an http server where you could place your desired files.

Eric.

On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 19:58:30 -0500, Eric Dunbar wrote:

> Do you have some app on the Mac that you could use as an FTP client?
>
> What model Mac? What apps are available (Internet Explorer, Cyberdog
> (old web browser), Netscape, NCSA telnet)?
>
> What version of Mac OS? (8.4 doesn't exist ;-) Select Apple-About this
> Mac and it'll tell you what version.
>
> Also, you could (possibly) turn on "web sharing" on the Mac and start
> an http server where you could place your desired files.
>
> Eric.
>
> On 1/7/06, Shelagh Manton <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> > We've never been able to get Breezy's netatalk to work with some of
>> > the 8.x and 9.x Mac OS's, although I don't recall whether 8.4 was
>> > on the list.  In any event, we use Hoary's netatalk in a mostly
>> > Breezy configuration to avoid netatalk problems.
>> >
>> > We use a non-standard technique which works with our software but
>> > would not be of much help to you.  However, if you Google "Debian
>> > Apt Pinning" without the quotes you should find the answer, or you
>> > can apt-get install a particular version if you read "man apt-get".
>> >
>> > If you're not yet comfortable with this level of sysadmin task
>> > your options are to revert to Hoary, switch to Debian Stable or
>> > another distro, or wait for a fix sometime in an improbable
>> > future.
>> >
>> > (Bendacht for cech N-Oen legfas:  Flame-warriors please leave
>> > this alone.  People can search the recent archives if they need
>> > further information.)
>> >
>> > --Mike Bird
>> Oh dear,
>>
>> Looks like the low tech version of starting up the mac and retyping the
>> file on my machine is the quickest solution.
>>
>> Shelagh
>> much
>>

>> --
I am willing to try this out, but it is probably not relevant to this list
as most of the chatter would be about Macintosh stuff. Woulod you be
willing to walk me through this off-list? I would really like to keep the
old girl up and running, but as it stands she's useless with no way of
getting the files created on there out of the machine and on hard copy?

My email is oneida & tpg & com & au
(you know what to put where)