network-manager

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

network-manager

Stan-18
I'm strugling with various issues with thenetwork-manager package, and
several possible wireless networks. In particular I'm not in love with it's
attemp to try run a local cahceing nameserver.

I can't seem to find a man page on this package. Can some kind soul point
me to some documentation on it?

I'd entertain options alos. All I really need is  something that will try
various possible wireless/wired networks, and bring them up (at least)
semi-automaticly.

--
U.S. Encouraged by Vietnam Vote - Officials Cite 83% Turnout Despite Vietcong Terror
- New York Times 9/3/1967

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: network-manager

zach-7
I'm in agreement.  I'm removing it because of it's bind9 requirement.
every since I installed it dns has been flakey, and since I am
unfamliar with how bind works, I am not able to configure or
troubleshoot it.  network-manager would be great if it were simpler.

On 11/12/05, stan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm strugling with various issues with thenetwork-manager package, and
> several possible wireless networks. In particular I'm not in love with it's
> attemp to try run a local cahceing nameserver.
>
> I can't seem to find a man page on this package. Can some kind soul point
> me to some documentation on it?
>
> I'd entertain options alos. All I really need is  something that will try
> various possible wireless/wired networks, and bring them up (at least)
> semi-automaticly.
>
> --
> U.S. Encouraged by Vietnam Vote - Officials Cite 83% Turnout Despite Vietcong Terror
> - New York Times 9/3/1967
>
> --
> ubuntu-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
>


--
If you reply to a message I posted to a mailing list,
and you want me to see your reply, be sure to put my
address in the 'To:', or I might not see the message.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: network-manager

Stephen Ryan
On 11/15/05, Zach <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm in agreement.  I'm removing it because of it's bind9 requirement.
every since I installed it dns has been flakey, and since I am
unfamliar with how bind works, I am not able to configure or
troubleshoot it.  network-manager would be great if it were simpler.

I think dns is flaky because there are two copies of bind running; I killed the second one  and dns suddenly became much more reliable (well, until I dropped the laptop on the floor and the whole thing stopped working permanently, it was more reliable, anyway!)

One copy is started at boot, by the bind package, as a regular name server, and the other is started by nm, as a caching / forwarding name server.  I discovered this because I run an internal nameserver in my house, and the hostname for my server wasn't being recognized, which meant that it was bypassing the local nameserver supplied by DHCP.

Run

$ ps axf

and look for two copies of named, with different parameters.  One should look something like "named .... -c /usr/lib/NetworkManager/named.conf", the other should not have a "-c ...." parameter.  (I'm doing this from memory, and this is surely wrong; after I get my laptop repaired I can provide more details.)

I adjusted the symlinks in /etc/rc?.d/ to never start named so that I wouldn't have the problem again.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: network-manager

zach-7
Yes that sounds similar to my problem as well.  Couldn't resolve any
hosts on the lan.

Unfortunately, i've already uninstalled network-manager and bind, so I
can't try your suggestion, but maybe I'll try it again later.

However, I don't like that network-manager takes over my
/etc/resolv.conf.  I get dns assigned by dhcp, and anything besides
that is an unecessary layer of complexity.  I'm not sure why
network-manager requires a local dns server, but I hope that get that
resolved before it goes into Ubuntu.

The other thing I didn't like is that it wanted to use the gnome
keyring manager to track my wep key, which prompted for a passphrase
once per login (or per boot, can't remember).  Prior to installing
network-manager my wep key was configured globally in
/etc/network/interfaces, and I don't know why it couldn't/wouldn't
work with that.

On 11/15/05, Stephen Ryan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11/15/05, Zach <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I'm in agreement.  I'm removing it because of it's bind9 requirement.
> > every since I installed it dns has been flakey, and since I am
> > unfamliar with how bind works, I am not able to configure or
> > troubleshoot it.  network-manager would be great if it were simpler.
>
>  I think dns is flaky because there are two copies of bind running; I killed
> the second one  and dns suddenly became much more reliable (well, until I
> dropped the laptop on the floor and the whole thing stopped working
> permanently, it was more reliable, anyway!)
>
>
> One copy is started at boot, by the bind package, as a regular name server,
> and the other is started by nm, as a caching / forwarding name server.  I
> discovered this because I run an internal nameserver in my house, and the
> hostname for my server wasn't being recognized, which meant that it was
> bypassing the local nameserver supplied by DHCP.
>
>  Run
>
>  $ ps axf
>
>  and look for two copies of named, with different parameters.  One should
> look something like "named .... -c
> /usr/lib/NetworkManager/named.conf", the other should not
> have a "-c ...." parameter.  (I'm doing this from memory, and this is surely
> wrong; after I get my laptop repaired I can provide more details.)
>
>  I adjusted the symlinks in /etc/rc?.d/ to never start named so that I
> wouldn't have the problem again.
>
>


--
If you reply to a message I posted to a mailing list,
and you want me to see your reply, be sure to put my
address in the 'To:', or I might not see the message.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: network-manager

Ed Fletcher
In reply to this post by zach-7
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Zach wrote:
> I'm in agreement.  I'm removing it because of it's bind9 requirement.
> every since I installed it dns has been flakey, and since I am
> unfamliar with how bind works, I am not able to configure or
> troubleshoot it.  network-manager would be great if it were simpler.
>

I installed network manager as soon as I had Breezy on my laptop.  But
I've found the network administration tool under System >
Administration to be working far better than it did in Hoary.  It
lists available ssid's, let's me pick them and even stores
configurations correctly.  I'm in a coffee shop right now using it.

I've uninstalled network manager because I just don't need it.

To whomever did all the work on the wireless part of Breezy:

"You did a great job!"

Thanks,
Ed
- --
Ed Fletcher
[hidden email]

When one door of happiness closes, another opens;
but often we look so long at the closed door that
we do not see the one which has opened for us.
- - Helen Keller
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.1 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Thunderbird - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

iD8DBQFDepVDlTbGAQhc1A8RAgNgAJ4lCQ1g4x5lIss+/m6pIbcLxhq1PQCePAIV
JeWjfXZsVDHxCGC8H8l1sxk=
=b0ju
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: network-manager

coldrick
FWIW, I installed it last week (Breezy) on a laptop and all seems to go fine, in the office with a proxy, at home without, or at home via vpn into the office with a proxy. DHCP for all cases, haven't had any probs with dns.

Regards,
David

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users