nic-3c59x

Marvin J. Kosmal
HI

I am running  Breezy  2.6.12-9-k7-smp

My NIC card is 3c59x Vortex

The kernel will not load it...

Modules that try to load. are

3c59x not used

mii.  which is used by 3c59x...  <which is not used>

I can't do an insmod 3c59x..Complains.. No such device..

The problem is.. for some reason the card has no MAC address..

Earlier kernels just complained and I could change the MAC address and
then bring the card up..

This kernel will not let me do that...

How do I get around this??

Thanks

Vram

Re: nic-3c59x

TreeBoy-2
On Monday 07 Nov 2005 10:33, Vram wrote:

> HI
>
> I am running  Breezy  2.6.12-9-k7-smp
>

> My NIC card is 3c59x Vortex
>
> The kernel will not load it...
>
> Modules that try to load. are
>
> 3c59x not used
>
> mii.  which is used by 3c59x...  <which is not used>
>
> I can't do an insmod 3c59x..Complains.. No such device..
>
> The problem is.. for some reason the card has no MAC address..
>
> Earlier kernels just complained and I could change the MAC address and
> then bring the card up..
>

> This kernel will not let me do that...
>
> How do I get around this??
>

> Thanks
>
> Vram

I have the same NIC in my Thinkpad T20 and I have to remember to turn off ACPI
with some distros. It seems to be incompatible with all but APM on more
recent kernels.

Re: nic-3c59x

Marvin J. Kosmal
On Mon, 2005-11-07 at 18:08 +0000, TreeBoy wrote:

> On Monday 07 Nov 2005 10:33, Vram wrote:
> > HI
> >
> > I am running  Breezy  2.6.12-9-k7-smp
> >

> > My NIC card is 3c59x Vortex
> >
> > The kernel will not load it...
> >
> > Modules that try to load. are
> >
> > 3c59x not used
> >
> > mii.  which is used by 3c59x...  <which is not used>
> >
> > I can't do an insmod 3c59x..Complains.. No such device..
> >
> > The problem is.. for some reason the card has no MAC address..
> >
> > Earlier kernels just complained and I could change the MAC address and
> > then bring the card up..
> >

> > This kernel will not let me do that...
> >
> > How do I get around this??
> >

> > Thanks
> >
> > Vram
>
> I have the same NIC in my Thinkpad T20 and I have to remember to turn off ACPI
> with some distros. It seems to be incompatible with all but APM on more
> recent kernels.
>
> Cheers,

Thanks for the hit..

This is on my desk top machine..