no access to wifi after updating dualboot on HP250 G5 NB

no access to wifi after updating dualboot on HP250 G5 NB

robert rottermann
Hi there,

I have install 16.04 LTS some month ago on a HP 250 G5 notebook.

Everything worked fine, but the dualboot was clumsy, as the user had to go into
the bios each time booting the laptop to define what OS to boot.

So i used bootrepair to set up the grub such, that the user gets a grub screen
to select the OS to boot from.

It was quiet some shuffling till I had all obstacles regarding UEFI restriction.
But not the dualboot works as expected.

However, the LAN, bot wired and wifi behaves strangely.

1. WIFI: I can not find any WIFI interface. Although opening the connections
dialog shows the 3 networks that were used before the dualboot upgrade was executed

2. the wired connection is always switch off after boot and has to be switched
from the system settings

I tried to find out what wifi chip the pc is using with

lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Device 5904 (rev 02)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Device 5916 (rev 02)
00:04.0 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Skylake Processor
Thermal Subsystem (rev 02)
00:08.0 System peripheral: Intel Corporation Sky Lake Gaussian Mixture Model
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP USB 3.0 xHCI
Controller (rev 21)
00:14.2 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP Thermal
subsystem (rev 21)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP CSME HECI
(rev 21)
00:17.0 SATA controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP SATA Controller
[AHCI mode] (rev 21)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP PCI Express Root Port
(rev f1)
00:1c.5 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP PCI Express Root Port
(rev f1)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Device 9d58 (rev 21)
00:1f.2 Memory controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP PMC (rev 21)
00:1f.3 Audio device: Intel Corporation Device 9d71 (rev 21)
00:1f.4 SMBus: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP SMBus (rev 21)
01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411
PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 15)
02:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Device 24fb (rev 10)

but none of devices listed seems to be a wifi controller.

can you please give me a hint

thanks

robert

Re: no access to wifi after updating dualboot on HP250 G5 NB

Ian Bruntlett
Hi Robert,

On 16 April 2018 at 08:04, robert <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have install 16.04 LTS some month ago on a HP 250 G5 notebook.
<snip!>
can you please give me a hint

This is a long shot, but here are two things to check:-
1. Is there a hardware switch on the side of the laptop to switch off Wi-Fi? Your user guide _should_ tell you about this.
2. Does the BIOS/UEFI setup have an option to enable/disable WiFi?

One solution to this (a bit of a kludge, really) is to buy a USB WiFi gadget and plug it in to your laptop.

HTH,

Ian

On 16.04.2018 09:55, Ian Bruntlett wrote:
Hi Robert,

On 16 April 2018 at 08:04, robert <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have install 16.04 LTS some month ago on a HP 250 G5 notebook.
<snip!>
can you please give me a hint

This is a long shot, but here are two things to check:-
1. Is there a hardware switch on the side of the laptop to switch off Wi-Fi? Your user guide _should_ tell you about this.
i check but found nothing.
Since it workes using windows, I do not assume that this can be the cause
2. Does the BIOS/UEFI setup have an option to enable/disable WiFi?
yes it does, and I switched it of and on again, just to be sure
nothing changed.
thanks anyhow
robert

One solution to this (a bit of a kludge, really) is to buy a USB WiFi gadget and plug it in to your laptop.

HTH,

Ian

Re: no access to wifi after updating dualboot on HP250 G5 NB

Liam Proven
On 16 April 2018 at 11:49, robert rottermann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> yes it does, and I switched it of and on again, just to be sure
> nothing changed.
> thanks anyhow

Is the system firmware current?

Are you using SecureBoot mode or not?

Email: [hidden email] • Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus: [hidden email]
Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven • Skype/LinkedIn: liamproven
UK: +44 7939-087884 • ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053

Re: no access to wifi after updating dualboot on HP250 G5 NB

Ian Bruntlett
Hi Robert,

On 16 April 2018 at 08:04, robert <[hidden email]> wrote:
I tried to find out what wifi chip the pc is using with

lspci
<snip!>

There is a system information package, "hardinfo" (called "System Information" in the GUI). That might help. IIRC, I recently came across a system that used USB instead of PCI for its WiFi access.

To install it, use this command line:-
sudo apt install hardinfo

And then...
Run the command "hardinfo"
Select "Generate report", enter a filename for the report to be saved to.
Look at the generated report in a web-browser. You might find something useful there.

HTH,

Ian

On 16.04.2018 11:54, Liam Proven wrote:
> On 16 April 2018 at 11:49, robert rottermann <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> yes it does, and I switched it of and on again, just to be sure
>> nothing changed.
>> thanks anyhow
> Is the system firmware current?
as far as I can tell, yes. the device is only 4 month old.
I will check whether I will find any updates
> Are you using SecureBoot mode or not?
no, not using secure boot.

as mentioned,  wifi worked with ubuntu 16.04 till I updated the boot loader

robert

Re: no access to wifi after updating dualboot on HP250 G5 NB

Nils Kassube-2
robert wrote:
> 1. WIFI: I can not find any WIFI interface. Although opening the
> connections dialog shows the 3 networks that were used before the
> dualboot upgrade was executed

> 02:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Device 24fb (rev 10)

I think this line shows your wireless controller. Probably there is no
output for the command

modinfo iwlwifi|grep -i 24fb

which means that your kernel isn't recent enough to know the device. You
can install the latest HWE kernel with the command

sudo apt-get install linux-image-generic-hwe-16.04-edge

Nils

solved Re: no access to wifi after updating dualboot on HP250 G5 NB

robert rottermann
thanks, this was the solution.

robert

On 16.04.2018 13:57, Nils Kassube wrote:

> robert wrote:
>> 1. WIFI: I can not find any WIFI interface. Although opening the
>> connections dialog shows the 3 networks that were used before the
>> dualboot upgrade was executed
>> 02:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Device 24fb (rev 10)
> I think this line shows your wireless controller. Probably there is no
> output for the command
>
> modinfo iwlwifi|grep -i 24fb
>
> which means that your kernel isn't recent enough to know the device. You
> can install the latest HWE kernel with the command
>
> sudo apt-get install linux-image-generic-hwe-16.04-edge
>

> Nils

Re: solved Re: no access to wifi after updating dualboot on HP250 G5 NB

Nils Kassube-2
robert rottermann wrote:
> thanks, this was the solution.

You're welcome. Did it also solve your issue with the wired connection?

On 16.04.2018 16:29, Nils Kassube wrote:
> robert rottermann wrote:
>> thanks, this was the solution.
> You're welcome. Did it also solve your issue with the wired connection?
no, wired is still in "not added" mode after rebooting.
It would be nice, if this could be fixed also.
But as the laptop is normally connected using wifi, the issue is not that grave.

robert