no gnopernicus on ubuntu cd

MICHAEL WEAVER
Last night I got some people from my local LUG to try and install
Gnopernicus on my laptop for me.
However the ordered version of Hoary ddoesn't seem to include Gnopernicus on
the CD which was a problem because I didn't have an internet connection at
the time as my laptop didn't come with a wireless card.
Is the reason for it not being on the CD something to do with the type of
package group it falls into?
Also does Speakup work with Ubuntu?
I would use Emacspeak for access to the command line stuff under Linux but
it is a pain to learn Emacs as I haven't managed to get my head around stuff
like accessing the web.
I am wondering if the problem is that I not only have to learn Emacs but
also have to fully know the keystrokes for Emacspeak as well as I only got
as far as getting "end of buffer" when trying to navigate in web pages.
Also I am thinking of investing in hardware for a wireless internet
connection as I should be able to get access where my local LUG meets and
maybe switch between this place and home. What wireless cards would anyone
suggest?
Someone who got their laptop connected yesterday suggested a Dlink card and
router.

Re: no gnopernicus on ubuntu cd

Luke Yelavich-3
On Tue, Nov 08, 2005 at 05:29:03PM EST, MICHAEL WEAVER wrote:
> Last night I got some people from my local LUG to try and install
> Gnopernicus on my laptop for me.
> However the ordered version of Hoary ddoesn't seem to include Gnopernicus
> on the CD which was a problem because I didn't have an internet connection
> at the time as my laptop didn't come with a wireless card.

Unfortunately, accessibility tools are not shipped on the main CD, but
are in the main repository.

> Is the reason for it not being on the CD something to do with the type of
> package group it falls into?

As I said above, it is in the main repository, but doesn't get shipped
on the CD. I think partly lack of space, and lack of importance is why
it isn't shipped.

> Also does Speakup work with Ubuntu?

It does, but you will have to build your own kernel to patch it in. Mail
me off list, and I can probably help you sort it out, as I am now
running Breezy.

> I would use Emacspeak for access to the command line stuff under Linux but
> it is a pain to learn Emacs as I haven't managed to get my head around
> stuff like accessing the web.

When I first got into Linux, I thought emacspeak would be the ansdwer as
well, but I also found it too cryptic.

> Also I am thinking of investing in hardware for a wireless internet
> connection as I should be able to get access where my local LUG meets and
> maybe switch between this place and home. What wireless cards would anyone
> suggest?
> Someone who got their laptop connected yesterday suggested a Dlink card and
> router.

I will let somebody else answer this question, as I am not up on the
latest hardware support.

Note that more hardware would be supported in breezy than there would be
in Hoary, and unless you have a strong reason to stay with Hoary, I
would advise you to upgrade.

If you do upgrade, I can hook you up with a speakup-enabled kernel.

Hope this helps.
--
Luke Yelavich
GPG key: 0xD06320CE

Re: no gnopernicus on ubuntu cd

Sarangan Thuraisingham / துரைசிங்கம் சாரங்கன்

MICHAEL WEAVER wrote:

> Last night I got some people from my local LUG to try and install
> Gnopernicus on my laptop for me.
> However the ordered version of Hoary ddoesn't seem to include
> Gnopernicus on the CD which was a problem because I didn't have an
> internet connection at the time as my laptop didn't come with a wireless
> card.
> Is the reason for it not being on the CD something to do with the type
> of package group it falls into?
> Also does Speakup work with Ubuntu?
> I would use Emacspeak for access to the command line stuff under Linux
> but it is a pain to learn Emacs as I haven't managed to get my head
> around stuff like accessing the web.
> I am wondering if the problem is that I not only have to learn Emacs but
> also have to fully know the keystrokes for Emacspeak as well as I only
> got as far as getting "end of buffer" when trying to navigate in web pages.
> Also I am thinking of investing in hardware for a wireless internet
> connection as I should be able to get access where my local LUG meets
> and maybe switch between this place and home. What wireless cards would
> anyone suggest?
> Someone who got their laptop connected yesterday suggested a Dlink card
> and router.

TWO SOLUTIONS:
--------------
(1) I got a Belkin F5D6020 ver 2.0 and it works out of the box with both
Hoary and Breezy(I think!). It has a atmel chipset and uses atmel_cs
package. So may be you can google for other wireless cards that use the
atmel chipset. For that matter, googling can find you other supported
wireless cards.

(2) My friend couldn't get his Wireless card to work with ndiswrapper.
The card worked sometimes but it randomly froze the system. He had a
Windows XP with wireless connection to our ADSL router. So we turned on
internet connection sharing on the windows box. The options that we
chose were,
   a. "This computer connects to the internet directly and other
computers connect through this computer"
   b. Internet connection -> wireless connection
   c. Connection to local network -> "ethernet adapter".
After applying changes, windows box's ethernet link's IP is set to
192.168.0.1(as the gateway). Then we connected the linux laptop to the
windows box using the ethernet interface. And brought up the ethernet
connection in the linux laptop "ifup eth0". This might work for you as well.

In theory everything should work, but it didn't for us :(. The linux
laptop could access the local network, but not the internet. Luckily, we
have an old Pentium II setup as a webcache. So we setup this as the
proxy in the laptop's network settings and now the internet
works(atleast he can access website, dont know if apt works....). We
don't know why this is the case. If anyone has any ideas, pls share it.
Sarangan Thuraisingham
ECS, University of Southampton, UK

    Tux is the Best
   Next is the Rest