(no subject)

John Ryan-2
Hello,
I am new to Ubuntu.
I've just installed Ubuntu 5.10
I print over a network - the printer has a fixed IP address.
When I print, nothing appears on the printer.

It is a HP LaserJet 4000N printer.
I set it up using System | Adminsitration | printers
where I used  Printer | add printer
I checked Network printer, and added the correct ip address
I next added HP 4000 ( no entry for 4000N) and Apply
I left the printer as "postsrcipt", which was recommended.

When I print a document, it stays in the printer queue, but never
seems to reach the printer.

When I check the printer, by right clicking on it and selecting properties,
I get the message
"Printing: Unable to get printer status (server-error-operation-not-supported)!"

I am able to ping the printer.

The system works under windows, and under SUSE Linux

Any ideas?

John

Network printing to HP Laserjet 4000N Download Attachment

Re: (no subject)

H.A.J. Koster
I recommend that you use HPLIP to operate your printer -- it is
already running by default in Breezy. It requires your printer to be set
up as a CUPS (IPP) printer with a specially-formatted URI address.
My own HP 5858 DeskJet printer had address 10.0.0.160 on my LAN, so I gave
the command (as user) "hp-makeuri 10.0.0.160" which resulted in the URI
"hp:/net/deskjet_5800?ip=10.0.0.160". You should run this command with the
address of your own printer, and write down the precise result.
I then used the Gnome System/Administration/Printing menu to install the
printer with this URI, specifying also the HPLIP brand and the
recommended. You may also need to configure for paper/region size (A4?
Letter?), etc.

--
H.A.J. Koster
"Behavioral axioms are right, but agents make mistakes..."