odd ssh behaviour

Ben Edwards (lists)-2
Hi, I just installed the latest version of server LTS.  I actually installed it on one PC and put the disk in another.  I had to change the network name but apart from that it all seemed fine.  I got DHCP working and managed to ssh to another machine and do a apt-get dist-upgrade.

Even though I have sshd running I cant ssh into the box from elsewhere, I tried ssh from a couple of boxes that are working fine., I get

ssh: connect to host 192.168.1.110 port 22: Connection refused

It is using a network cable that I can use fine on another box so it is not the switch/cable.

Any ideas?

Ben

--
Ben Edwards, Video Editor and Cameraman
web:www.nkytwig.com mobile:07773 02 44 82 skype:funkytwig twitter:@funkytwig

Re: odd ssh behaviour

Ken D'Ambrosio
On 2017-06-28 18:31, Ben Edwards wrote:
> ssh: connect to host 192.168.1.110 port 22: Connection refused

Doesn't sound like it's running. ;-)  I'd verify:
sudo lsof -P -i -n | grep ":22"

That should return something like:
sshd      1638     root    3u  IPv4  50812      0t0  TCP *:22 (LISTEN)

If it doesn't, either SSHD isn't *really* running, or it's dying.  Or,
though wicked unlikely, it's using a different port.  If it *is*
running, it's probably an iptables issue:

sudo service iptables stop

and then try again.  Lastly, you say you moved machines.  It's just
barely possible you have a duplicate IP issue if the DHCP client on the
new system is confused.  Unlikely, but something to entertain verifying.

-Ken

> It is using a network cable that I can use fine on another box so it
> is not the switch/cable.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Ben
>
> --
> _Ben Edwards, Video Editor and Cameraman_
> _web_:WWW.NKYTWIG.COM [1]_ mobile:_07773 02 44 82 _skype_:FUNKYTWIG_
> twitter:_@FUNKYTWIG
> iContact Community Video [2] | Bristol Community Channel [3]
>

> Links:
> ------
> [1] http://funkytwig.com/
> [2] http://www.icontactvideo.org/
> [3] http://bristol.mirocommunity.org/

Re: odd ssh behaviour

Colin Law
On 28 June 2017 at 23:31, Ben Edwards <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi, I just installed the latest version of server LTS.  I actually installed
> it on one PC and put the disk in another.  I had to change the network name
> but apart from that it all seemed fine.  I got DHCP working and managed to
> ssh to another machine and do a apt-get dist-upgrade.

systemctl status ssh
should confirm that it is running, and show you any errors that may
have occurred.

Colin

Re: odd ssh behaviour

Jonesy
On Wed, 28 Jun 2017 23:31:29 +0100, Ben Edwards wrote:

> Hi, I just installed the latest version of server LTS.  I actually
> installed it on one PC and put the disk in another.  I had to change the
> network name but apart from that it all seemed fine.  I got DHCP working
> and managed to ssh to another machine and do a apt-get dist-upgrade.
>
> Even though I have sshd running I cant ssh into the box from elsewhere, I
> tried ssh from a couple of boxes that are working fine., I get
>
> ssh: connect to host 192.168.1.110 port 22: Connection refused
>
> It is using a network cable that I can use fine on another box so it is not
> the switch/cable.
>
> Any ideas?

$ ssh -v -v -v .......

Jonesy

Re: odd ssh behaviour

Ken D'Ambrosio
On 2017-06-29 10:26, Jonesy wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Jun 2017 23:31:29 +0100, Ben Edwards wrote:
>>
>> ssh: connect to host 192.168.1.110 port 22: Connection refused

>> Any ideas?
>
> $ ssh -v -v -v .......

That's a really good point -- for almost any other error.  "Connection
refused" means that he couldn't even connect to port 22, so there's
really nothing about the handshake that verbosity is going to help with.
  But, again, it's a *really* good point, because if a connection can be
established, cranking up the verbosity spits out an obscene amount of
info.  Likewise, server-size, I often fire up "/usr/sbin/sshd -d" to see
what's happening there.

$.02,

-Ken

Re: odd ssh behaviour