oddity with moving "Link" icons on desktop (Ubuntu 13.10 Unity)

oddity with moving "Link" icons on desktop (Ubuntu 13.10 Unity)

Karl Auer
Another odd thing.

I have two desktop icons, one a link to a URL, one an application
launcher. Both icons work - click on one and the URL is opened in
Firefox, click on the other and the application is launched correctly.

I am logged in as kauer.

/home/kauer is my home directory.

Both .desktop files are physically in /home/kauer/Desktop

kauer@karl:~$ ls -la /home/kauer/Desktop
[...]
-rwxr-xr-x  1 kauer kauer     97 Feb  9 17:36 slimp3.desktop
-rwxr-xr-x  1 kauer kauer    196 Feb  9 17:38 summer.desktop
[...]

Both .desktop files have permissions "-rwxr-xr-x".

I can move the application icon around on the desktop. That is, I can
click-and-hold, drag the icon to somewhere else on the desktop, let go
and the icon stays where I dropped it.

But when I try the same thing with the URL icon, it doesn't stay where I
drop it. It stays right where it was, and an error dialogue opens
saying:

   Error while copying "/".
   There was an error copying the file into /home/kauer/Desktop.

If I then click on the "Show more details" button, it adds:

   Error opening "/": Is a directory

Just for fun I tried using the Gnome Tweak Tool to set "Have file
manager handle the desktop" to OFF. The desktop icons disappeared
completely, so I switched it back to ON. :-)

Actual .desktop file contents below. A couple of lines are probably
wrapped in this email.

<yoda>
Mystified I am.
</yoda>

Regards, K.

slimp3.desktop (can't be moved):
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=slimp3
Type=Link
URL=http://summer.lochiel:9000
Icon=firefox

summer.desktop (can be moved):
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Exec=gnome-terminal --working-directory=%f -x screen ssh -X
summer.lochiel
Icon=gnome-terminal.xpm
Type=Application
Comment[en_AU]=SSH to summer
Name[en_AU]=summer

Karl Auer ([hidden email])
http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer
http://twitter.com/kauer389

GPG fingerprint: EC67 61E2 C2F6 EB55 884B E129 072B 0AF0 72AA 9882
Old fingerprint: B862 FB15 FE96 4961 BC62 1A40 6239 1208 9865 5F9A

Re: oddity with moving "Link" icons on desktop (Ubuntu 13.10 Unity)

Florian Diesch
Am Sun, 09 Feb 2014 18:02:15 +1100
schrieb Karl Auer <[hidden email]>:

> But when I try the same thing with the URL icon, it doesn't stay
> where I drop it. It stays right where it was, and an error dialogue
> opens saying:
>
>    Error while copying "/".
>    There was an error copying the file into /home/kauer/Desktop.

This seems to be a bug in Nautilus.

When you try to move a .desktop file with type Link on the desktop
Nautilus thinks you want to drop the URL on the desktop.

If your .desktop file contains a URL that leads to a file you don't get
an error if you try to move it but Nautilus downloads that file to the
desktop.

A .desktop file that contains a file:// URL to a file on your desktop
crashes Nautilus if you try to move it.

--
Masna
A graphical manager for Nautilus scripts

On Mon, 2014-02-10 at 04:35 +0100, Florian Diesch wrote:
> >    Error while copying "/".
> >    There was an error copying the file into /home/kauer/Desktop.
>
> This seems to be a bug in Nautilus.

Ah. OK :-( Do you know if this bug has been reported?

Also, do you happen to know where Nautilus stores the positional
information for desktop icons?

The desktop in 13.10 has a few funnies:

- this one

- sometimes the window spread does not render all the windows fully.
There is a gap in the spread; hovering the mouse over the gap shows up a
border, but no window content, although clicking inside the border
brings the window to the front as expected.

- sometimes windows "vanish". ALT-Tab can sometimes find them, but
sometimes not. Sometimes clicking on the sidebar launcher icon brings
them back. I'm still collecting the evidence on that one.

- seems like Canonical is continuing its plan to remove all user
customisability. The printer wizard is next to useless now. In 10.xx it
was really good. Wish I could remember its name, I'd install it again.

Regards, K.

Karl Auer ([hidden email])
http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer
http://twitter.com/kauer389

GPG fingerprint: EC67 61E2 C2F6 EB55 884B E129 072B 0AF0 72AA 9882
Old fingerprint: B862 FB15 FE96 4961 BC62 1A40 6239 1208 9865 5F9A

Re: oddity with moving "Link" icons on desktop (Ubuntu 13.10 Unity)

Oliver Grawert
hi
Am Sonntag, den 09.02.2014, 18:02 +1100 schrieb Karl Auer:

> slimp3.desktop (can't be moved):
> [Desktop Entry]
> Encoding=UTF-8
> Name=slimp3
> Type=Link
> URL=http://summer.lochiel:9000
> Icon=firefox

since this seems to be buggy, try making it Type=application and use
xdg-open:

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=slimp3
Type=Application
Exec=xdg-open http://summer.lochiel:9000
Icon=firefox

I suppose this could work around the issue ...

ciao
        oli

Re: oddity with moving "Link" icons on desktop (Ubuntu 13.10 Unity)

Tom H-4
On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 12:31 AM, Karl Auer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The desktop in 13.10 has a few funnies:
>
> - this one
>
> - sometimes the window spread does not render all the windows fully.
> There is a gap in the spread; hovering the mouse over the gap shows up a
> border, but no window content, although clicking inside the border
> brings the window to the front as expected.
>
> - sometimes windows "vanish". ALT-Tab can sometimes find them, but
> sometimes not. Sometimes clicking on the sidebar launcher icon brings
> them back. I'm still collecting the evidence on that one.

I've never seen either of these problems on either 13.10 when I was
using it or on 14.04. Can you reproduce this? Or does "sometimes" mean
that it happens then everything's OK then it happens, irregularly and
randomly?

I have a problem, from time to time, with Qemu windows suddenly being
recognized as firefox, gnome-terminal, or chrome windows. I have no
idea how it's triggered so I haven't filed a bug report...

> - seems like Canonical is continuing its plan to remove all user
> customisability. The printer wizard is next to useless now. In 10.xx it
> was really good. Wish I could remember its name, I'd install it again.

This may be an unfair accusation because the printer wizard most
likely is inherited from upstream Gnome and the latter adopted a fewer
settings, fewer options way-of-life some time ago.

On Mon, 2014-02-10 at 10:19 +0100, Oliver Grawert wrote:
> since this seems to be buggy, try making it Type=application and use
> xdg-open:

Works in so far as the resulting desktop icon does run firefox and open
the link. Works in so far as the resulting desktop icon can be moved
around the desktop and stays where it is dropped.

Does NOT work in that I can't get the darn thing to have the icon of my
choice! As far as I can tell, the "Icon" line is simply ignored. Doesn't
matter if I specify a full path of just the basename.

Sigh.

Still - a good suggestion that does solve the stated problem! Thanks.

On Mon, 2014-02-10 at 05:44 -0500, Tom H wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 12:31 AM, Karl Auer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > - sometimes the window spread does not render all the windows fully.
> > There is a gap in the spread; hovering the mouse over the gap shows up a
> > border, but no window content, although clicking inside the border
> > brings the window to the front as expected.
> >
> > - sometimes windows "vanish". ALT-Tab can sometimes find them, but
> > sometimes not. Sometimes clicking on the sidebar launcher icon brings
> > them back. I'm still collecting the evidence on that one.
>
> I've never seen either of these problems on either 13.10 when I was
> using it or on 14.04. Can you reproduce this? Or does "sometimes" mean
> that it happens then everything's OK then it happens, irregularly and
> randomly?

Neither is consistently reproducible. The first is just a bug - it may
be related to my use of the compiz extensions Expo, Desktop Cube and
Rotate Cube. Happens every third or fourth time I use "spread all
windows"

The second is more nebulous, though now I have seen it a few times I am
more alert for it and should be able to "catch it" when it happens. One
theory I have is that when mousing about with the compiz cube I am
sometimes catching the title bar of a window instead of the background,
and am somehow selecting "minimise". Not much of a theory but it's all I
have at present :)

Regards, K.

Karl Auer ([hidden email])
http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer
http://twitter.com/kauer389

GPG fingerprint: EC67 61E2 C2F6 EB55 884B E129 072B 0AF0 72AA 9882
Old fingerprint: B862 FB15 FE96 4961 BC62 1A40 6239 1208 9865 5F9A

Re: oddity with moving "Link" icons on desktop (Ubuntu 13.10 Unity)

Florian Diesch
Am Mon, 10 Feb 2014 16:31:11 +1100
schrieb Karl Auer <[hidden email]>:

> Ah. OK :-( Do you know if this bug has been reported?

I could not find any so I did
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+bug/1278437

--
Privacy Indicator
Unity appindicator to switch privacy settings

On Mon, 2014-02-10 at 23:33 +1100, Karl Auer wrote:

> On Mon, 2014-02-10 at 05:44 -0500, Tom H wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 12:31 AM, Karl Auer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > - sometimes the window spread does not render all the windows fully.
> > > There is a gap in the spread; hovering the mouse over the gap shows up a
> > > border, but no window content, although clicking inside the border
> > > brings the window to the front as expected.
> > >
> > > - sometimes windows "vanish". ALT-Tab can sometimes find them, but
> > > sometimes not. Sometimes clicking on the sidebar launcher icon brings
> > > them back. I'm still collecting the evidence on that one.
> >
> > I've never seen either of these problems on either 13.10 when I was
> > using it or on 14.04. Can you reproduce this? Or does "sometimes" mean
> > that it happens then everything's OK then it happens, irregularly and
> > randomly?
>
> Neither is consistently reproducible. The first is just a bug - it may
> be related to my use of the compiz extensions Expo, Desktop Cube and
> Rotate Cube. Happens every third or fourth time I use "spread all
> windows"
>
> The second is more nebulous, though now I have seen it a few times I am
> more alert for it and should be able to "catch it" when it happens. One
> theory I have is that when mousing about with the compiz cube I am
> sometimes catching the title bar of a window instead of the background,
> and am somehow selecting "minimise". Not much of a theory but it's all I
> have at present :)

The second part probably never happened; at least it has not happened
again now that I am looking for it. All minimised windows can be found,
either with ALT-TAB, locating their "ghost" in the "spread all windows"
display (see below) or by clicking their launcher icon.

However, I can reproduce the first part at will. Clicking on the
background when "spread all windows" is active causes all windows on the
current active desktop to be minimised. Windows on other desktops are
not minimised. This was surprising behaviour to me, but now that I know
about it I quite like it, and it is clearly supposed to work like that.

After minimising the visible windows, if I activate "spread all windows"
again only *some* of the windows are visible in the "spread all windows"
display. Those that are not visible DO occupy screen real estate, and
when the mouse moves over one, its borders is shown, but no window
content. Clicking on or inside the border brings the window back to the
foreground with the focus. Doing "spread all windows again" will now
show any windows that were visible the last time, plus the window just
restored. So recovering from the situation means restoring the windows
one at a time ;-) Laborious, but at least they are recoverable. They can
also be recovered by clicking on their launcher icon, of course.

In short, after minimising all visible windows, minimised windows show
up as "ghosts" - content-less borders. There's a certain insane logic to
that :-)