old disk access

Re: old disk access

Rashkae-2
On 2019-05-15 10:28 p.m., Robert Heller wrote:

> They should be "master".  There is *usually* something on the drive label
> itself with the info you need.

No, they should be "Single."  For many later models, the jumper
configuration for Master or Single is the same, (and those would be
labeled "Master/Single". but it's not safe to assume.  If the drive
documentation has a distinct configuration for Single, use that.

Even for drives that are not documented on the label, it should still be
easy to find that on Google by model.

Re: Cellphone email (was: Re: old disk access

Mike Marchywka
On Thu, May 16, 2019 at 04:01:25PM +0200, Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users wrote:
> On Thu, 2019-05-16 at 15:52 +0200, Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users wrote:
> > On Thu, 16 May 2019 13:50:41 +0100, Peter Flynn wrote:
> > > Note to developers:I would pay real money for an Android MUA which
> > > worked like an MUA is supposed to

This topic recently came up on the Tex User's Group forum
as I was asking about latex like email formats. They have a
structure similarly machine readable to xml but if well written
the source code is also human readable. Earlier I was frustrated
with hotmail and gmail on a sub-Gb machine still not able to
imagine how email needs a Gb to work lol. Even on a 4Gb laptop
I never got outlook connector to work well with Outlook.

Anyway, the appeal of structured email to me was hierarchial
viewing that would put the most in a small screen and be easily
selectable. I'm not sure anything like that exists. I still
prefer only plain text and anything beyond that is "too much"
but I would tolerate some simple structure that makes
blocks viewable.

AFAICT latex is not designed for interactive viewing like this
but you could redefine blocks somewhat. I would for example
get a list of papers and want to see either all titles
or pick one block to expand to see and abstract. Scrolling
through a literature search may not sound like a big deal but
it can be and I think the idea could expand.

I never did a literature search on technology to facilitate
literature searches :) But if there is interest the latex
people may have some input.

I got my IMAP downloader to apparently work although it
took almost an hour for 25k or so messages from a hotmail
junk folder but it did seem to work. It was supposed to
save the attachments and the ones I looked at seemd
uncorrupted- the jpegs and pdfs displayed ok.

I did not want this to become a research project in itself
but now curious if I can make structured emails as examples.

> > After testing the Ubuntu-Budgie live DVD my impression is that
> > operating systems for desktop computers will drop one feature after the
> > other. It already seems to be impossible to chose that a window is
> > always on top.
> >
> > Since I'm a musician I need to use iOS instead of Android devices,
> > but I'm not aware of a usable MUA that runs on iOS.
> >
> > Btw. Auria Pro, a DAW has got a menu and a tool bar and inside the app
> > it's possible to have several windows opened that could be moved. IOW
> > apps that are designed to get work done, work around the limitations of
> > the portable device's operating system.
> >
> > Seemingly the majority of users, using their portable devices in the
> > middle of the street, have priorities other than getting work done.
>
> "operating system" is not the term that fits ;). However, the
> environments do one step after the other into the wrong direction.

mike marchywka
306 charles cox
canton GA 30115
USA, Earth
[hidden email]
404-788-1216
ORCID: 0000-0001-9237-455X

Re: Cellphone email (was: Re: old disk access

Peter Flynn
Hi Mike,

There's a moral in this somewhere...if you need more than "bottom-rung"
email don't use browser-based email. Many like its so-called "convenience"
but the interfaces lack many of the controls provided by standalone MUAs
(email clients like Thunderbird, Claws, mutt, etc).

I'm not sure I easily understand the need for "structured" email properly.
That is, I don't seem to be able to see what problem it solves.

LaTeX is "just" a typesetter, but you are correct that it is intended for
typesetting a whole document, not document fragments, although there are
implementations which do that.

But you seem to be talking more about interactivity, and that's not goiong
to be LaTeX. The example you give can be achieved with raw Javascript, but
the frameworks are hopelessly version-unstable for an embedded solution.
Something like Saxon-CE or Saxon-JS would do it, but a big load if it's
invoked afresh on each email.

My own take would be to do that part on a web site, so you just put a link
in your email at each appropriate point. Modern wide screens can easily
have a browser window and a mailer window open side-by-side. I don't think
there is any traction in trying to get this functionality embedded in an MUA.

Peter

On Thu, May 16, 2019 at 10:41:31PM +0100, Peter Flynn wrote:

> Hi Mike,
>
> There's a moral in this somewhere...if you need more than "bottom-rung"
> email don't use browser-based email. Many like its so-called "convenience"
> but the interfaces lack many of the controls provided by standalone MUAs
> (email clients like Thunderbird, Claws, mutt, etc).
>
> I'm not sure I easily understand the need for "structured" email properly.
> That is, I don't seem to be able to see what problem it solves.
>
> LaTeX is "just" a typesetter, but you are correct that it is intended for
> typesetting a whole document, not document fragments, although there are
> implementations which do that.
>
> But you seem to be talking more about interactivity, and that's not goiong
> to be LaTeX. The example you give can be achieved with raw Javascript, but
> the frameworks are hopelessly version-unstable for an embedded solution.
> Something like Saxon-CE or Saxon-JS would do it, but a big load if it's
> invoked afresh on each email.

I like the latex source code format as simple things are human readable
but the point is to get logical structure to the document not layout
structure. The browser has many drawbacks but the big problem is
that the source code for the message is oriented towards document
layout rather than organization. There is no inherent barrier to making
a "\widget{}" with visibility control. An alternative may be XML
except that is so cumbersome it misses the human readability
criteria vs good latex.

In any case if there is interest in better email, the latex users
may be intersted and as you suggest it may not be obvious. Compiling
a latex document is slow and not the first thing you think of for
user interaction. However, the basics seem good.

As an example, I just took one message and made it look more logical.
This is a literature update with latex like groups and presumably the viewer could
turn off the boilerplate and abstract blocks for example,
cat mail_clip_file.txt  | gawk -f pubmed.awk  |  more
\header{ ***************** MESSAGE 134
My NCBI <[hidden email]>+Tue, 14 May 2019 06:08:32 -0400 (EDT)++text/html; charset="UTF-8"+text/html+What's new for 'interfe
ron' in PubMed+
From: My NCBI <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Subject: What's new for 'interferon' in PubMed
->text/htmltext/html; charset="UTF-8"inlinebinary}
\boilerplate{   This message contains My NCBI what's new results from the National Center for Biotechnology Information
   ([1]NCBI) at the U.S. National Library of Medicine ([2]NLM).
   Do not reply directly to this message.
   Sender's message: Search: interferon
   Sent on Tuesday, 2019 May 14
   Search: interferon
   [3]View complete results in PubMed (results may change over time).
   [4]Edit saved search settings, or [5]unsubscribe from these e-mail updates.
   PubMed Results}
\citation{   1. Viral Immunol. 2019 May 13. doi: 10.1089/vim.2019.0012. [Epub ahead of print]}
\title{[6]Association of Autoantibody to Rods and Rings with Hepatitis C Outcome and Viral Load.}
\authors{   [7]Dhaouadi T^1, [8]Abdellatif J^1, [9]Jallouli M^1, [10]Mejdoubi M^1, [11]Sfar I^1, [12]Mouelhi L^2,
   [13]Aouini S^1, [14]Ben Abdallah T^1,^3, [15]Gorgi Y^1.
   Author information:
   1. 1 Research Laboratory in Immunology of Renal Transplantation and Immunopathology (LR03SP01), Charles Nicolle
   Hospital, Tunis El Manar University, Tunis, Tunisia.
   2. 2 Department of Gastro-Entero-Hepatology, Charles Nicolle Hospital, Tunis, Tunisia.
   3. 3 Department of Nephrology and Internal Medicine, Charles Nicolle Hospital, Tunis, Tunisia.}
\abstract{   Despite the current availability of more potent drugs, hepatitis C virus (HCV) infection is still treated with

and a view could turn it into something like this, I did not bother to remove the
"\\title" and concat lines but you get the idea,

 cat mail_clip_file.txt  | gawk -f pubmed.awk  |  grep "\\title"
\title{[6]Association of Autoantibody to Rods and Rings with Hepatitis C Outcome and Viral Load.}
\title{[16]Cytokine-mediated cellular immune activation in electroconvulsive therapy: A CSF study in patients with
\title{[22]Alginate-coated chitosan microparticles encapsulating an oral plasmid-cured live Salmonella enterica serovar
\title{[26]Clinical outcomes in chronic hepatitis C long-term responders to pre-direct antiviral agents: a single cente

This is flat rather than hierarchial still playing with that.
I'm using my mail downloader for testing the idea, I'll find some where to discuss it if there seems to
be any merit and I get time to play with it more.

Are there any good imap downloaders? I did not immediately find one, all have complaints AFAICT,  so I wrote this
thing and now it seems
to be a nice test program..

> My own take would be to do that part on a web site, so you just put a link
> in your email at each appropriate point. Modern wide screens can easily have
> a browser window and a mailer window open side-by-side. I don't think there
> is any traction in trying to get this functionality embedded in an MUA.
>
> Peter
>

> On 16 May 2019 19:42:18 Mike Marchywka <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > This topic recently came up on the Tex User's Group forum
> > as I was asking about latex like email formats. They have a
> > structure similarly machine readable to xml but if well written
> > the source code is also human readable. Earlier I was frustrated
> > with hotmail and gmail on a sub-Gb machine still not able to
> > imagine how email needs a Gb to work lol. Even on a 4Gb laptop
> > I never got outlook connector to work well with Outlook.
> >
> > Anyway, the appeal of structured email to me was hierarchial
> > viewing that would put the most in a small screen and be easily
> > selectable. I'm not sure anything like that exists. I still
> > prefer only plain text and anything beyond that is "too much"
> > but I would tolerate some simple structure that makes
> > blocks viewable.
> >
> > AFAICT latex is not designed for interactive viewing like this
> > but you could redefine blocks somewhat. I would for example
> > get a list of papers and want to see either all titles
> > or pick one block to expand to see and abstract. Scrolling
> > through a literature search may not sound like a big deal but
> > it can be and I think the idea could expand.
> >
> > I never did a literature search on technology to facilitate
> > literature searches :) But if there is interest the latex
> > people may have some input.
> >

> > I got my IMAP downloader to apparently work although it
> > took almost an hour for 25k or so messages from a hotmail
> > junk folder but it did seem to work. It was supposed to
> > save the attachments and the ones I looked at seemd
> > uncorrupted- the jpegs and pdfs displayed ok.
> >
> > I did not want this to become a research project in itself
> > but now curious if I can make structured emails as examples.

> > > "operating system" is not the term that fits ;). However, the
> > > environments do one step after the other into the wrong direction.
> > >

> > > --
> >
> > --
> >
> > mike marchywka
> > 306 charles cox