power saving

Xen

power saving

Xen
So this is Kubuntu but still.

Installing "cpufrequtils" caused my power consumption to drop from 95W
to 85W and

Installing the nVidia drivers caused my power consumption to drop from
85W to 75W.

That's about 35 euro a year.

Re: power saving

Colin Law
On 11 December 2017 at 15:52, Xen <[hidden email]> wrote:
So this is Kubuntu but still.

Installing "cpufrequtils" caused my power consumption to drop from 95W to 85W and

Installing the nVidia drivers caused my power consumption to drop from 85W to 75W.

Interesting. Do those savings still exist when the screen is asleep and the processor is not working hard?

Colin

Xen

Re: power saving

Xen
Colin Law schreef op 11-12-2017 17:26:

> Interesting. Do those savings still exist when the screen is asleep

I am almost a 100% certain but as I did not check I would have to
uninstall the nvidia driver again which I rather would not.

> and the processor is not working hard?

Yes.

The CPU can idle at 800MHz but runs maximum 2600MHz.

The default profiler activated by the Linux kernel is apparently
"performance" which never lowers the frequency.

The "cpufrequtils" package does nothing other than set the profiler at
boot and provide utils to set and read it.

The "ondemand" profiler switches between 800 and 2600 in a few steps.
The "conservative" profiler does the same but slower.
The "powersave" profiler keeps it at 800.

I don't know why the default was (and is) performance.
But it disables what you could call Cool'n'Quiet.

Phoronix showed benchmarks between Nouveau and Nvidia, and showed Nvidia
having lower power consumption, so I tried.

This is a Phenom II cpu and Nvidia GTX 950.

I have no clue why this was not installed by default on Kubuntu, because
Debian 8 does have it (cpufrequtils).

The phoronix benchmarks showed a difference of about 8W I think so this
does coincide.

I'm sorry I cannot check the "poweroff" state but I am pretty certain it
is constant.

(( Nouveau cannot or does not by default set "performance states" and
keeps the GPU running at the "boot" frequency (which is very low) but
still consumes more power )).

This is Phoronix:

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=fedora_nouveau_power&num=2

The low point of the graph is DPMS "power off".

His test is on a laptop and notices a 5W difference in "power off"
between Nouveau and nVidia.

Mine is a 90W discrete GPU, so for me the difference is larger.

Xen

Re: power saving

Xen
Xen schreef op 11-12-2017 18:31:

> Mine is a 90W discrete GPU, so for me the difference is larger.

While I was at it I also measured the receiver :p.

I have an Onkyo receiver that doubles as HDMI pass-through which
consumes a constant 45W at "idle".

It has no other power features so basically consumes 400kWh per year if
always on.

That's also about 78 euro per year.

Well it has a "standby passthrough mode". Which lowers the consumption
to 37W even... even when the monitor and computer are turned off... :-/.

I mean like, yay.

That's expensive for being able to switch inputs.

That's 7 euro per month.

I guess a good solution either requires a timer+remote control or some
arduino-like device.

Re: power saving

Teresa e Junior
Em 11/12/2017 15:31, Xen escreveu:

> The default profiler activated by the Linux kernel is apparently
> "performance" which never lowers the frequency.
>
> The "cpufrequtils" package does nothing other than set the profiler at
> boot and provide utils to set and read it.

That's interesting. I'm on Xubuntu 17.10 with the default Ubuntu kernel,
and it is currently set to "powersave" without cpufrequtils installed,
although there is CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_PERFORMANCE=y on
/boot/config-$(uname -r).

So I don't really know what is controlling these settings on my laptop.

Xen

Re: power saving

Xen
Teresa e Junior schreef op 11-12-2017 20:57:

> Em 11/12/2017 15:31, Xen escreveu:
>>
>> The default profiler activated by the Linux kernel is apparently
>> "performance" which never lowers the frequency.
>>
>> The "cpufrequtils" package does nothing other than set the profiler at
>> boot and provide utils to set and read it.
>
> That's interesting. I'm on Xubuntu 17.10 with the default Ubuntu
> kernel, and it is currently set to "powersave" without cpufrequtils
> installed, although there is CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_PERFORMANCE=y
> on /boot/config-$(uname -r).
>
> So I don't really know what is controlling these settings on my laptop.

Is there a power settings dialog screen in Xubuntu?

KDE doesn't seem to have it.

But "powersave" is not exactly ideal.

I would say "conservative" is ideal if you want to save power,

but powersave handicaps your CPU... :-/ ?.

Re: power saving

Teresa e Junior
Em 11/12/2017 18:11, Xen escreveu:

> Teresa e Junior schreef op 11-12-2017 20:57:
>> Em 11/12/2017 15:31, Xen escreveu:
>>>
>>> The default profiler activated by the Linux kernel is apparently
>>> "performance" which never lowers the frequency.
>>>
>>> The "cpufrequtils" package does nothing other than set the profiler
>>> at boot and provide utils to set and read it.
>>
>> That's interesting. I'm on Xubuntu 17.10 with the default Ubuntu
>> kernel, and it is currently set to "powersave" without cpufrequtils
>> installed, although there is CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_PERFORMANCE=y
>> on /boot/config-$(uname -r).
>>
>> So I don't really know what is controlling these settings on my laptop.
>
> Is there a power settings dialog screen in Xubuntu?
>
> KDE doesn't seem to have it.
>
> But "powersave" is not exactly ideal.
>
> I would say "conservative" is ideal if you want to save power,
>
> but powersave handicaps your CPU... :-/ ?.

Yes, there is the xfce4-power-manager, but it has no options for dealing
with the CPU, only things like screen brightness, actions on low
battery, etc.

Re: power saving

Teresa e Junior
Em 11/12/2017 21:57, Teresa e Junior escreveu:

> Em 11/12/2017 18:11, Xen escreveu:
>> Teresa e Junior schreef op 11-12-2017 20:57:

>>> That's interesting. I'm on Xubuntu 17.10 with the default Ubuntu
>>> kernel, and it is currently set to "powersave" without cpufrequtils
>>> installed, although there is CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_PERFORMANCE=y
>>> on /boot/config-$(uname -r).
>>>
>>> So I don't really know what is controlling these settings on my laptop.
>>
>> Is there a power settings dialog screen in Xubuntu?
>>
>> KDE doesn't seem to have it.
>>
>> But "powersave" is not exactly ideal.
>>
>> I would say "conservative" is ideal if you want to save power,
>>
>> but powersave handicaps your CPU... :-/ ?.
>>

> Yes, there is the xfce4-power-manager, but it has no options for dealing
> with the CPU, only things like screen brightness, actions on low
> battery, etc.

Actually, according to APT it does, but I see no such option in its
settings:
    * battery monitoring
    * cpu frequency settings
    * monitor DPMS settings
    * suspend/Hibernate
    * LCD brightness control
    * Lid, sleep and power switches control

I'll have to investigate...

Re: power saving

Teresa e Junior
Em 11/12/2017 21:59, Teresa e Junior escreveu:

> Em 11/12/2017 21:57, Teresa e Junior escreveu:

>>> Is there a power settings dialog screen in Xubuntu?
>>>
>>> KDE doesn't seem to have it.
>>>
>>> But "powersave" is not exactly ideal.
>>>
>>> I would say "conservative" is ideal if you want to save power,
>>>
>>> but powersave handicaps your CPU... :-/ ?.
>>>

>> Yes, there is the xfce4-power-manager, but it has no options for
>> dealing with the CPU, only things like screen brightness, actions on
>> low battery, etc.
>
> Actually, according to APT it does, but I see no such option in its
> settings:
>     * battery monitoring
>     * cpu frequency settings
>     * monitor DPMS settings
>     * suspend/Hibernate
>     * LCD brightness control
>     * Lid, sleep and power switches control
>  > I'll have to investigate...

It doesn't handle CPU freq anymore:
https://git.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-power-manager/commit/?id=c76cf0295748a9d2260b3d3375e1633c6984b61c

But I have just noticed
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy*/scaling_available_governors have
"performance powersave" only, but
/sys/devices/system/cpu/intel_pstate/status returns "active" and
/sys/devices/system/cpu/intel_pstate/turbo_pct "27", so I guess these
are being handled by pstate and everything's alright :P

I had just forgotten that intel_pstate supersedes acpi_cpufreq.

Xen

Re: power saving

Xen
Xen schreef op 11-12-2017 18:31:

> Mine is a 90W discrete GPU, so for me the difference is larger.

There is something else that happened with the nVidia driver.

My system now successfully goes into standby.

:-|.

I have not had standby in Linux for a few years.

It works instantly and comes back instantly, no display corruption etc.

An earlier attempt on a nVidia (ASUS) M2N-E/SLI using almost the same
chipset as this one (nForce 560 SLI vs 570 Ultra) failed on Linux Mint
with a 4.4 kernel and a different graphics card though I must have tried
this card as well....

And I also must have tried Kubuntu on it...

So I can only say I am a bit flabbergasted.

I am also certain this didn't work before (and I believe it doesn't even
work in Windows).