ppa problem

Jim Price-4
I've ended up in a bit of a bind. I updated from 14.04 to 16.04, which
seemed to go well but then I noticed that VLC was no longer installed.
On trying to re-install it, it could not find its dependency on vlc-nox.
vlc-nox is not in the 16.04 repo. I tried all the googleable
suggestions, but it would seem that as the version I had was installed
from a ppa and although the ppa is disabled (it got that way during the
upgrade) even re-enabling it didn't allow me to reinstall vlc and then
ppa-purge it. The ppa was the videolan stable repo. Is there any way of
telling the apt database that the package details (specifically the
dependencies I guess) are not correct any more for vlc and it should
reload them from the universe repo?

I did think of trying the snap of vlc, but that didn't work with a
similar error message. There are now two vlc packages visible in
synaptic too, which may be the result of something else I've tried.

--
JimP

Re: ppa problem

Colin Law
On 25 June 2018 at 20:33, Jim Price <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've ended up in a bit of a bind. I updated from 14.04 to 16.04, which
> seemed to go well but then I noticed that VLC was no longer installed. On
> trying to re-install it, it could not find its dependency on vlc-nox.
> vlc-nox is not in the 16.04 repo. I tried all the googleable suggestions,
> but it would seem that as the version I had was installed from a ppa and
> although the ppa is disabled (it got that way during the upgrade) even
> re-enabling it didn't allow me to reinstall vlc and then ppa-purge it. The
> ppa was the videolan stable repo. Is there any way of telling the apt
> database that the package details (specifically the dependencies I guess)
> are not correct any more for vlc and it should reload them from the universe
> repo?
>
> I did think of trying the snap of vlc, but that didn't work with a similar
> error message. There are now two vlc packages visible in synaptic too, which
> may be the result of something else I've tried.

I would start off by uninstalling it.

Colin

> --
> JimP

Re: ppa problem

William Anderson
On Mon, Jun 25, 2018 at 8:33 PM Jim Price <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've ended up in a bit of a bind. I updated from 14.04 to 16.04, which
> seemed to go well but then I noticed that VLC was no longer installed.
> On trying to re-install it, it could not find its dependency on vlc-nox.
> vlc-nox is not in the 16.04 repo. I tried all the googleable
> suggestions, but it would seem that as the version I had was installed
> from a ppa and although the ppa is disabled (it got that way during the
> upgrade) even re-enabling it didn't allow me to reinstall vlc and then
> ppa-purge it. The ppa was the videolan stable repo. Is there any way of
> telling the apt database that the package details (specifically the
> dependencies I guess) are not correct any more for vlc and it should
> reload them from the universe repo?

There's a few different things you could try, but you could try these
steps (carefully, or NOT AT ALL if you're not 100% sure what you're
doing):

# this is from askubuntu: https://askubuntu.com/a/148968
# look at what PPAs you have installed, and look for
# one with VLC in the name
for APT in $(find /etc/apt/ -name \*.list); do \
 grep -o "^deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/[a-z0-9\-]\+/[a-z0-9\-]\+" ${APT} \
 | while read ENTRY ; do USER=`echo ${ENTRY} | cut -d/ -f4`; \
 PPA=$(echo $ENTRY | cut -d/ -f5); echo ppa:${USER}/${PPA}; \
 done; done | grep -i vlc

# If you get an output from the above like "ppa:vlc/vlc", then
# let's remove that PPA repo
apt-add-repository -r ppa:vlc/vlc
# change ppa:vlc/vlc for whatever PPA you got from that search
# press RETURN or ENTER to remove the PPA

# purge all VLC packages (this will purge EVERY package
# with a name starting with the letters vlc)
apt-get purge $(dpkg -l vlc\* | grep ^ii | awk '{print $2}')

# then let's make doubly sure universe is there
apt-add-repository -r universe
apt-get -qq update
apt-add-repository universe
apt-get -qq update

# then let's install your package
apt-get install vlc-nox
# (or whatever you're trying to install)

If any of that doesn't make sense, DON'T RUN IT, but hopefully it'll
put you in the right direction.

-n

Re: ppa problem

On Mon, 25 Jun 2018 at 21:33, Jim Price <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've ended up in a bit of a bind. I updated from 14.04 to 16.04, which
> seemed to go well but then I noticed that VLC was no longer installed.

I think you need to force-uninstall it.

Here are some pointers:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/525088/how-to-delete-broken-packages-in-ubuntu

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1597294

Re: ppa problem

Jim Price-4
Unfortunately uninstalling it just gave errors, maybe because the PPA
wasn't available in the same Ubuntu version as it was prior to the
upgrade. Anyway, after somewhat more playing around I figured out that
after the upgrade I had removed the PPA without taking a note of it, so
that could also be why the removal wouldn't work properly. The problem
then was how to find which PPA I had used so I could put it back in and
remove things. It turns out that it is a bit non-trivial without knowing
which PPA, but this gives you a list of where things were installed from:
apt-cache policy vlc
 From the output of that I managed to find the right PPA, added it and
reloaded, then did a re-install of vlc followed by a ppa-purge. It still
needed a reboot for things to settle down but it does now let me install
vlc. Yay!

Lesson learned - don't just delete PPAs which have been disabled by a
dist-upgrade.

Thanks to everyone else for suggestions, I'm just replying to the first
reply not ignoring you all.

JimP

On 25/06/18 20:37, Colin Law wrote:

> On 25 June 2018 at 20:33, Jim Price <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I've ended up in a bit of a bind. I updated from 14.04 to 16.04, which
>> seemed to go well but then I noticed that VLC was no longer installed. On
>> trying to re-install it, it could not find its dependency on vlc-nox.
>> vlc-nox is not in the 16.04 repo. I tried all the googleable suggestions,
>> but it would seem that as the version I had was installed from a ppa and
>> although the ppa is disabled (it got that way during the upgrade) even
>> re-enabling it didn't allow me to reinstall vlc and then ppa-purge it. The
>> ppa was the videolan stable repo. Is there any way of telling the apt
>> database that the package details (specifically the dependencies I guess)
>> are not correct any more for vlc and it should reload them from the universe
>> repo?
>>
>> I did think of trying the snap of vlc, but that didn't work with a similar
>> error message. There are now two vlc packages visible in synaptic too, which
>> may be the result of something else I've tried.
>
> I would start off by uninstalling it.
>
> Colin
>

>> --
>> JimP
>>

>> --
>> [hidden email]

Re: ppa problem

Colin Law
On 25 June 2018 at 22:07, Jim Price <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Lesson learned - don't just delete PPAs which have been disabled by a
> dist-upgrade.

That's true, but in fact the better lesson is to purge ppas before
upgrading and then put them back again.

Colin