python

charlie
hey all. i'm trying to figure out how to program in python and i wanted to find out if the kate text editor supports python 3. i've been reading a manual on python programming and it states some info about running IDLE and when i run the terminal command for it, it goes nowhere.

am i able to just open kate, do some coding, save it as a python file with the .py extension and then run it?

i start school next month and i want to be ahead of the game as much as possible.

thanks!

charlie

IRC username: hangar18
server: chat.freenode.net

Re: python

Robert Charbonneau

Any text editor will be fine to work with Python; and yes, you can simply save the file as <program>.py and run it on the command line.  Also, if it's something you'll be working with in school, it's possible that you could get a free license for PyCharm from JetBrains (Python IDE), worth investigating.

Re: python

charlie
hey robert. thanks for the info. that helps me out a lot to know that. and i'll check into that pycharm IDE, too.

On Aug 13, 2018, at 13:00, Robert Charbonneau <[hidden email]> wrote:

Any text editor will be fine to work with Python; and yes, you can simply save the file as <program>.py and run it on the command line.  Also, if it's something you'll be working with in school, it's possible that you could get a free license for PyCharm from JetBrains (Python IDE), worth investigating.

Re: python

Charles T. Bell
Charlie,

You don't really need an IDE with python, unless you want to single step
through the program.
I put my python programs in a subdirectory under "python" subdirectory
and open both a terminal (half-screen) and kate (half-screen) side by
side.  That way I can make changes in kate and save them, then run the
program in the terminal.  With a little care you can quickly debug your
program that way.
However, if you want to single-step through the program you need an IDE.
Good luck!

Tom

On 08/13/2018 04:10 PM, Charlie wrote:

> hey robert. thanks for the info. that helps me out a lot to know that.
> and i'll check into that pycharm IDE, too.
>
> On Aug 13, 2018, at 13:00, Robert Charbonneau <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>> Any text editor will be fine to work with Python; and yes, you can
>> simply save the file as <program>.py and run it on the command line.
>> Also, if it's something you'll be working with in school, it's
>> possible that you could get a free license for PyCharm from JetBrains
>> (Python IDE), worth investigating.
>>

>> On 2018-08-13 03:29 PM, Charlie wrote:
>>> hey all. i'm trying to figure out how to program in python and i wanted to find out if the kate text editor supports python 3. i've been reading a manual on python programming and it states some info about running IDLE and when i run the terminal command for it, it goes nowhere.
>>>
>>> am i able to just open kate, do some coding, save it as a python file with the .py extension and then run it?
>>>
>>> i start school next month and i want to be ahead of the game as much as possible.
>>>
>>> thanks!
>>>
>>> charlie
>>>
>>> IRC username: hangar18
>>> server: chat.freenode.net <http://chat.freenode.net>
>>>

>> --

“As his first step, he is always setting some war in motion, so that
people will be in need of a leader,” Plato explains. In fact, “it’s
necessary for a tyrant always to be stirring up war.”

cbell44.vcf (158 bytes) Download Attachment

On 2018-08-13 03:29 PM, Charlie wrote:
hey all. i'm trying to figure out how to program in python and i wanted to find out if the kate text editor supports python 3. i've been reading a manual on python programming and it states some info about running IDLE and when i run the terminal command for it, it goes nowhere.

am i able to just open kate, do some coding, save it as a python file with the .py extension and then run it?

i start school next month and i want to be ahead of the game as much as possible.

thanks!

charlie

IRC username: hangar18
server: chat.freenode.net <http://chat.freenode.net>

Charlie Luna
Ubuntu California Loco Team member
website: www.ubuntu-california.org
IRC username: hangar18, server: chat.freenode.net

"Get Ubuntu Linux and join the world of Free and Open Source Software"

Re: python

Girard Henri

There are very easy programmers tools : SPE, geany... (in ubuntu they are installed with apt)

Good editors and compilors