questions about Dapper kernel versions

carlopmart
Hi all,

  I am very confused about kernel versions on dapper server release:

  - Which are the differences between kernel image highend-servers and
lowend-servers: cpus, memory?? what? where I can found docs about this?

  - Xen will be included on final dapper server release?

Thanks.

--
CL Martinez
carlopmart {at} gmail {d0t} com

Re: questions about Dapper kernel versions

Ben Collins-3
On Sat, 2005-12-17 at 13:11 +0100, carlopmart wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>   I am very confused about kernel versions on dapper server release:
>
>   - Which are the differences between kernel image highend-servers and
> lowend-servers: cpus, memory?? what? where I can found docs about this?

-server is for your average system that you want to use as a server. The
difference is that the HZ is set to 100 (better performance, throughput,
etc), and preempt is totally disabled. If you have a 4-way system with
4gigs of ram that is doing apache, mysql, postfix, and it needs maximum
throughput on the gigabit ethernet, and maximum performance on the raid
array, then this is what you want.

-server-bigiron is for equipment most people have never even seen, much
less have. If you don't know the difference, chances are you don't even
want to look at this kernel. This is the 1%'er kernel. Meaning 1% of the
people out there needing a server kernel might know a system that could
use this.

If your server doesn't have buzz words like NUMA, and you can count the
cpu's on just your fingers, don't use this kernel. If you bought your
server online by typing a "1" in a "Quantity" box, don't use this
kernel. If your server did not require OSHA to inspect the install
location for proper structural support, don't use this kernel. If your
BIOS POST takes less than 10 minutes, and is less than 5 screens, don't
use this kernel. If turning on the power doesn't require the manual and
dimming of the lights for the entire building, don't use this kernel. If
buying the server didn't also involve a visit by the president of the
company that sold it to you, don't use this kernel. If....well, you get
the idea.

>   - Xen will be included on final dapper server release?

Nope, it's too late to start integrating this now. Maybe dapper+1.

--
   Ben Collins <[hidden email]>
   Developer

Re: questions about Dapper kernel versions

Dennis Kaarsemaker
On za, 2005-12-17 at 10:23 -0500, Ben Collins wrote:

> If your server doesn't have buzz words like NUMA, and you can count the
> cpu's on just your fingers, don't use this kernel. If you bought your
> server online by typing a "1" in a "Quantity" box, don't use this
> kernel. If your server did not require OSHA to inspect the install
> location for proper structural support, don't use this kernel. If your
> BIOS POST takes less than 10 minutes, and is less than 5 screens, don't
> use this kernel. If turning on the power doesn't require the manual and
> dimming of the lights for the entire building, don't use this kernel. If
> buying the server didn't also involve a visit by the president of the
> company that sold it to you, don't use this kernel. If....well, you get
> the idea.
LOL :)
--
Dennis K.