"sponsorhip for retrying dep8 tests"

Andreas Hasenack-5
Hi,

many of you probably have been in a similar situation: you take your time to fix a bug in package foo, upload it, and then the migration is blocked because the dep8 tests of package bar failed. You go and check, and it's an error in something completely unrelated to what you changed in your upload, or a test infrastructure problem. You investigate the history of that test, see a few cases of the same exact error, and trigger a retry. Then it works, and you move on.

Except that when your upload was sponsored, you can't click retry. You have to sort of get sponsorship for the retry too.

Is there a non-technical reason for sponsorees not being able to click the retry link for their sponsored uploads?

Re: "sponsorhip for retrying dep8 tests"

Martin Pitt-4
Hello Andreas,

Andreas Hasenack [2017-12-07  9:56 -0200]:
> Is there a non-technical reason for sponsorees not being able to click the
> retry link for their sponsored uploads?

The main intent for restricting the retry function is that running tests is
fairly expensive in terms of infrastructure resources. We want to avoid that
arbitrary people can DoS the infra by wild retry clicking (or even automating
that), and (to a lesser degree) also encourage people to actually fix flaky
tests.

If you can upload a package, then this will auto-trigger tests, thus uploaders
are allowed to directly retry. This isn't the case for sponsorees.

However, if there is a good way of associating an upload with a sponsoree in
the Launchpad API (which isn't quite obvious), I think this would be an
acceptable addition. The policy can still be tightened in the future if it gets
abused, and the retry queue does record who requested the runs :-)

Martin

Re: "sponsorhip for retrying dep8 tests"

Brian Murray-5
On Thu, Dec 07, 2017 at 02:21:21PM +0100, Martin Pitt wrote:

> Hello Andreas,
>
> Andreas Hasenack [2017-12-07  9:56 -0200]:
> > Is there a non-technical reason for sponsorees not being able to click the
> > retry link for their sponsored uploads?
>
> The main intent for restricting the retry function is that running tests is
> fairly expensive in terms of infrastructure resources. We want to avoid that
> arbitrary people can DoS the infra by wild retry clicking (or even automating
> that), and (to a lesser degree) also encourage people to actually fix flaky
> tests.
>
> If you can upload a package, then this will auto-trigger tests, thus uploaders
> are allowed to directly retry. This isn't the case for sponsorees.
>
> However, if there is a good way of associating an upload with a sponsoree in
> the Launchpad API (which isn't quite obvious), I think this would be an
> acceptable addition. The policy can still be tightened in the future if it gets
> abused, and the retry queue does record who requested the runs :-)

I believe a source package publishing history's package_creator is the
one who made the change and if it is different than the package_signer
then you know package_creator is the sponsoree.

--
Brian Murray