Quantcast

'\r ' code

Hannie Dumoleyn
After merging ubuntu-help xenial and zesty, I got about 8 warnings like
this:

ubuntu-help-xenial_nl_ubuntu-help-nl.po:1513: warning: internationalized
messages should not contain '\r'-codes

I assume that \r means carriage returns, but I cannot find them in
Lokalize or gedit. I have uploaded the file anyway, hoping these \r
codes are no problem for the end result.

Hannie

Re: '\r ' code

Alberto Salvia Novella
Hannie Dumoleyn:
> I have uploaded the file anyway, hoping these \r codes are no problem
> for the end result.

It can break the applications, as it did in this case:
(https://bugs.launchpad.net/widelands/+bug/1219914)

Re: '\r ' code

Gunnar Hjalmarsson
On 2017-03-15 09:26, Hannie Dumoleyn wrote:
> After merging ubuntu-help xenial and zesty, I got about 8 warnings
> like this:
>
> ubuntu-help-xenial_nl_ubuntu-help-nl.po:1513: warning:
> internationalized messages should not contain '\r'-codes
>
> I assume that \r means carriage returns, but I cannot find them in
> Lokalize or gedit. I have uploaded the file anyway, hoping these \r
> codes are no problem for the end result.

Hannie,

Did it complain about '\r' in any of the msgid strings? I just checked
the POT file, and couldn't find any `\r'.

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj

Re: '\r ' code

Hannie Dumoleyn
Op 15-03-17 om 21:13 schreef Gunnar Hjalmarsson:

> On 2017-03-15 09:26, Hannie Dumoleyn wrote:
>> After merging ubuntu-help xenial and zesty, I got about 8 warnings
>> like this:
>>
>> ubuntu-help-xenial_nl_ubuntu-help-nl.po:1513: warning:
>> internationalized messages should not contain '\r'-codes
>>
>> I assume that \r means carriage returns, but I cannot find them in
>> Lokalize or gedit. I have uploaded the file anyway, hoping these \r
>> codes are no problem for the end result.
>
> Hannie,
>
> Did it complain about '\r' in any of the msgid strings? I just checked
> the POT file, and couldn't find any `\r'.
Hi Gunnar,
This is what I got:
============================
~/merge$ msgmerge ubuntu-help-xenial_nl_ubuntu-help-nl.po
ubuntu-help-zesty_nl_ubuntu-help-nl.po >
ubuntu-help-zestymerged_nl_ubuntu-help-nl.po

ubuntu-help-xenial_nl_ubuntu-help-nl.po:1513: waarschuwing:
geïnternationaliseerde berichten horen geen '\r'-stuurcodes te bevatten
ubuntu-help-xenial_nl_ubuntu-help-nl.po:7141: waarschuwing:
geïnternationaliseerde berichten horen geen '\r'-stuurcodes te bevatten
ubuntu-help-xenial_nl_ubuntu-help-nl.po:9236: waarschuwing:
geïnternationaliseerde berichten horen geen '\r'-stuurcodes te bevatten
ubuntu-help-xenial_nl_ubuntu-help-nl.po:15204: waarschuwing:
geïnternationaliseerde berichten horen geen '\r'-stuurcodes te bevatten
ubuntu-help-xenial_nl_ubuntu-help-nl.po:16669: waarschuwing:
geïnternationaliseerde berichten horen geen '\r'-stuurcodes te bevatten
ubuntu-help-xenial_nl_ubuntu-help-nl.po:17043: waarschuwing:
geïnternationaliseerde berichten horen geen '\r'-stuurcodes te bevatten
ubuntu-help-xenial_nl_ubuntu-help-nl.po:17615: waarschuwing:
geïnternationaliseerde berichten horen geen '\r'-stuurcodes te bevatten
ubuntu-help-xenial_nl_ubuntu-help-nl.po:1513: waarschuwing:
geïnternationaliseerde berichten horen geen '\r'-stuurcodes te bevatten
=========================
It looks like ubuntu-help-xenial is the culprit, not zesty (merged).
That is why you do not find the \r code in the zesty pot file.
Regards,
Hannie

Re: '\r ' code

Gunnar Hjalmarsson
On 2017-03-16 08:59, Hannie Dumoleyn wrote:

> Op 15-03-17 om 21:13 schreef Gunnar Hjalmarsson:
>> Did it complain about '\r' in any of the msgid strings? I just checked
>> the POT file, and couldn't find any `\r'.
> Hi Gunnar,
> This is what I got:
> ============================
> ~/merge$ msgmerge ubuntu-help-xenial_nl_ubuntu-help-nl.po
> ubuntu-help-zesty_nl_ubuntu-help-nl.po >
> ubuntu-help-zestymerged_nl_ubuntu-help-nl.po
>
> ubuntu-help-xenial_nl_ubuntu-help-nl.po:1513: waarschuwing:
> geïnternationaliseerde berichten horen geen '\r'-stuurcodes te bevatten
> ubuntu-help-xenial_nl_ubuntu-help-nl.po:7141: waarschuwing:
> geïnternationaliseerde berichten horen geen '\r'-stuurcodes te bevatten
> ubuntu-help-xenial_nl_ubuntu-help-nl.po:9236: waarschuwing:
> geïnternationaliseerde berichten horen geen '\r'-stuurcodes te bevatten
> ubuntu-help-xenial_nl_ubuntu-help-nl.po:15204: waarschuwing:
> geïnternationaliseerde berichten horen geen '\r'-stuurcodes te bevatten
> ubuntu-help-xenial_nl_ubuntu-help-nl.po:16669: waarschuwing:
> geïnternationaliseerde berichten horen geen '\r'-stuurcodes te bevatten
> ubuntu-help-xenial_nl_ubuntu-help-nl.po:17043: waarschuwing:
> geïnternationaliseerde berichten horen geen '\r'-stuurcodes te bevatten
> ubuntu-help-xenial_nl_ubuntu-help-nl.po:17615: waarschuwing:
> geïnternationaliseerde berichten horen geen '\r'-stuurcodes te bevatten
> ubuntu-help-xenial_nl_ubuntu-help-nl.po:1513: waarschuwing:
> geïnternationaliseerde berichten horen geen '\r'-stuurcodes te bevatten
> It looks like ubuntu-help-xenial is the culprit, not zesty (merged).
> That is why you do not find the \r code in the zesty pot file.

It's not in the Xenial POT file either, but I downloaded the Dutch PO
file for Xenial and found occurrences of `\r\n` in a few msgstr strings,
i.e. Dutch translations.

Looks like Windows style line breaks to me; possibly added by some
translation tool. You may want to check if those translated strings made
it to the Dutch version of the published Xenial Ubuntu desktop guide.