re Fw: Improving tech support

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

re Fw: Improving tech support

surruk51
I run Windows in a virtual box shell and find it much more convenient
than dual boot, and Yahoo and MSN both work fine in it.

aMSN is an MSN clone for Ubunu that support cam but not voice.

I have not fully tried it, but meebo is a web based agent that connects
to a number of IMs including Yahoo and MSN and appears to support both
voice and cam, so this may be a solution for you too.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: re Fw: Improving tech support

Haneef Bashir
On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 9:53 AM, Chris Jeffries <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I run Windows in a virtual box shell and find it much more convenient
> than dual boot, and Yahoo and MSN both work fine in it.
>
> aMSN is an MSN clone for Ubunu that support cam but not voice.
>
> I have not fully tried it, but meebo is a web based agent that connects
> to a number of IMs including Yahoo and MSN and appears to support both
> voice and cam, so this may be a solution for you too.
>
thanks for the suggestion. im guessing then that you didnt run into
any problems with voice cat running the messenger through virtualbox?
i have tried it with no success. if you have done this and havent had
any problems, then at least now i know that the problem might be with
my hardware configuration or something. video is not a problem for me.
i use qyachi for yahoo and emesene for msn. i have used meebo, im not
so sure about the voice support but they force the other user to use
their services for voice and video.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: re Fw: Improving tech support

Joep L. Blom
Haneef Bashir wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 9:53 AM, Chris Jeffries <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I run Windows in a virtual box shell and find it much more convenient
>> than dual boot, and Yahoo and MSN both work fine in it.
>>
>> aMSN is an MSN clone for Ubunu that support cam but not voice.
>>
>> I have not fully tried it, but meebo is a web based agent that connects
>> to a number of IMs including Yahoo and MSN and appears to support both
>> voice and cam, so this may be a solution for you too.
>>
> thanks for the suggestion. im guessing then that you didnt run into
> any problems with voice cat running the messenger through virtualbox?
> i have tried it with no success. if you have done this and havent had
> any problems, then at least now i know that the problem might be with
> my hardware configuration or something. video is not a problem for me.
> i use qyachi for yahoo and emesene for msn. i have used meebo, im not
> so sure about the voice support but they force the other user to use
> their services for voice and video.
>
Haneef,
Try VMware PLayer. I work since recently with VMware Player , next to
Virtual Box and find it better especially with sound and
MS-applications. To my surprise they go well side-by-side, i.e. they
don't interfere.
My 2 cents
Joep


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: re Fw: Improving tech support

Haneef Bashir
> Haneef,
> Try VMware PLayer. I work since recently with VMware Player , next to
> Virtual Box and find it better especially with sound and
> MS-applications. To my surprise they go well side-by-side, i.e. they
> don't interfere.
> My 2 cents
> Joep
If i recall VMware isnt free. im i correct in that? if so how much is it?

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: re Fw: Improving tech support

Amedee Van Gasse (ub)
On Wed, January 6, 2010 18:49, Haneef Bashir wrote:
>> Haneef,
>> Try VMware PLayer. I work since recently with VMware Player , next to
>> Virtual Box and find it better especially with sound and
>> MS-applications. To my surprise they go well side-by-side, i.e. they
>> don't interfere.
>> My 2 cents
>> Joep
> If i recall VMware isnt free. im i correct in that? if so how much is it?

VMware _Player_ is free (gratis), but it is not Free (libre).


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: re Fw: Improving tech support

Haneef Bashir
On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 10:28 AM, Amedee Van Gasse (ub)
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, January 6, 2010 18:49, Haneef Bashir wrote:
>>> Haneef,
>>> Try VMware PLayer. I work since recently with VMware Player , next to
>>> Virtual Box and find it better especially with sound and
>>> MS-applications. To my surprise they go well side-by-side, i.e. they
>>> don't interfere.
>>> My 2 cents
>>> Joep
>> If i recall VMware isnt free. im i correct in that? if so how much is it?
>
> VMware _Player_ is free (gratis), but it is not Free (libre).
i downloaded and tried vmware. all i can say is that the end result
was a lot better than virtualbox.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: re Fw: Improving tech support

Joep L. Blom
Haneef Bashir wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 10:28 AM, Amedee Van Gasse (ub)
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Wed, January 6, 2010 18:49, Haneef Bashir wrote:

> i downloaded and tried vmware. all i can say is that the end result
> was a lot better than virtualbox.
>

Haneef,
Glad you are helped with this. I use both but I also feel that vmware is
-still(?) - better for the tasks I do than virtualbox although I
sympathise more with virtualbox, due to it's commitment.
Joep



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users