release upgrade breaks internet and other things

release upgrade breaks internet and other things

Volker Wysk
Hi

I've done a do-release-upgrade on my 16.04 LTS system. This has broken
the internet connection, and more. I get immediate "unknown host"
errors when I ping to any host. When I lookup an adress in Firefox, I
get a "Page not found, The connection to the server ... failed."

Sorry, I don't know how to troubleshoot this connection problem.

Where should I look..?

Should i even look, or would it be easier to reinstall everything in a
new 18.04.1 system from scratch? (This would be quite a few things.)

Thanks
Volker

Re: release upgrade breaks internet and other things

Volker Wysk
Hi

Aren't the messages which appear during the do-release-upgrade logged
somewhere? I can't find them in /var/log.

Bye
Volker

Re: release upgrade breaks internet and other things

03 October 2018  at 19:25, Volker Wysk wrote:
release upgrade breaks internet and (at least in part)

>Hi

>I've done a do-release-upgrade on my 16.04 LTS system. This has broken
>the internet connection, and more.

Do/did you connect voa WiFi?

If so try to re-connect to your router (delete and remake that connection)

Zitat von Grizzly via ubuntu-users <[hidden email]>:

>> I've done a do-release-upgrade on my 16.04 LTS system. This has broken
>> the internet connection, and more.
>
> Do/did you connect voa WiFi?
>
> If so try to re-connect to your router (delete and remake that connection)

No, it's my desktop, which is connected by cable.

Bye
Volker

Re: release upgrade breaks internet and other things

Volker Wysk
One thing is funny: I CAN connect inside my WLAN (which consists of a
laptop and the desktop). I just can't connect to the outside. I've
reset the router, but this hasn't changed anything.

Bye
V.W.

Zitat von Volker Wysk <[hidden email]>:

> One thing is funny: I CAN connect inside my WLAN (which consists of
> a laptop and the desktop). I just can't connect to the outside. I've
> reset the router, but this hasn't changed anything.

I have to be more precise. The internet connection of my laptop is
okay. I can connect to the outside of the WLAN. But the connection of
my desktop is broken. I can't connect to any site outside the local
WLAN. I can, however, connect to the laptop (which is inside of the
WLAN), but only when I provide the IP address. The laptop's name won't
suffice.

Doesn't that sound like a nameserver problem..?

bye
Volker Wysk

Re: release upgrade breaks internet and other things

Ralf Mardorf-2
On Wed, 2018-10-03 at 20:02 +0200, Volker Wysk wrote:
> No, it's my desktop, which is connected by cable.

Are you connecting via "ip link set up / pppd" or via "dhcpcd"?

IOW if you should use a tool, such as network manager, are you
connecting via a modem by PPPoE or via a router by DHCP?

Perhaps the device name changed. What's the output of

  ls -ld /sys/class/net/*

?

Packages installed or removed during a release upgrade are most likely
irrelevant. Important are likely log files related to your Internet
connection, but first at least provide information, how you connect to
the Internet. Are you using a router?

Re: release upgrade breaks internet and other things

Tom H-4
On Wed, Oct 3, 2018 at 7:27 PM Volker Wysk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've done a do-release-upgrade on my 16.04 LTS system. This has broken
> the internet connection, and more. I get immediate "unknown host"
> errors when I ping to any host. When I lookup an adress in Firefox, I
> get a "Page not found, The connection to the server ... failed."
>
> Sorry, I don't know how to troubleshoot this connection problem.
>
> Where should I look..?
>
> Should i even look, or would it be easier to reinstall everything in a
> new 18.04.1 system from scratch? (This would be quite a few things.)

Previous upgrades with network problems turned out to be dns problems.
/etc/resolv.conf" was a symlink pointing at the wrong file, IIRC.

Is it a file or a symlink?

If a symlink, to which file is it pointing?

What are the name servers?

On Wed, 2018-10-03 at 20:32 +0200, Volker Wysk wrote:
> Doesn't that sound like a nameserver problem..?

What's the output of e.g.

  ping 8.8.8.8

?

Zitat von Tom H <[hidden email]>:

> On Wed, Oct 3, 2018 at 7:27 PM Volker Wysk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I've done a do-release-upgrade on my 16.04 LTS system. This has broken
>> the internet connection, and more. I get immediate "unknown host"
>> errors when I ping to any host. When I lookup an adress in Firefox, I
>> get a "Page not found, The connection to the server ... failed."
>>
>> Sorry, I don't know how to troubleshoot this connection problem.
>>
>> Where should I look..?
>>
>> Should i even look, or would it be easier to reinstall everything in a
>> new 18.04.1 system from scratch? (This would be quite a few things.)
>
> Previous upgrades with network problems turned out to be dns problems.
> /etc/resolv.conf" was a symlink pointing at the wrong file, IIRC.
>
> Is it a file or a symlink?
>
> If a symlink, to which file is it pointing?
>
> What are the name servers?

It's a symlink to /run/resolvconf/resolv.conf. Which is EMPTY. Looks
like we have the culprit here.

It only contains this (commented out) note:

# Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by resolvconf(8)
#     DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN

Bye
VW

On Wed, Oct 3, 2018 at 8:45 PM Volker Wysk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Zitat von Tom H <[hidden email]>:
>> On Wed, Oct 3, 2018 at 7:27 PM Volker Wysk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I've done a do-release-upgrade on my 16.04 LTS system. This has broken
>>> the internet connection, and more. I get immediate "unknown host"
>>> errors when I ping to any host. When I lookup an adress in Firefox, I
>>> get a "Page not found, The connection to the server ... failed."
>>>
>>> Sorry, I don't know how to troubleshoot this connection problem.
>>>
>>> Where should I look..?
>>>
>>> Should i even look, or would it be easier to reinstall everything in a
>>> new 18.04.1 system from scratch? (This would be quite a few things.)
>>
>> Previous upgrades with network problems turned out to be dns problems.
>> /etc/resolv.conf" was a symlink pointing at the wrong file, IIRC.
>>
>> Is it a file or a symlink?
>>
>> If a symlink, to which file is it pointing?
>>
>> What are the name servers?
>
> It's a symlink to /run/resolvconf/resolv.conf. Which is EMPTY. Looks
> like we have the culprit here.
>
> It only contains this (commented out) note:
>
> # Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by resolvconf(8)
> #     DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN

It should most likely point at "/run/systemd/resolve/resolv.conf".

Zitat von Ralf Mardorf <[hidden email]>:

> On Wed, 2018-10-03 at 20:02 +0200, Volker Wysk wrote:
>> No, it's my desktop, which is connected by cable.
>
> Are you connecting via "ip link set up / pppd" or via "dhcpcd"?
>
> IOW if you should use a tool, such as network manager, are you
> connecting via a modem by PPPoE or via a router by DHCP?

I'm using that what has been installed as a default, when I first set
up the system. This should be DHCP. I have a router (a Fritzbox).

> Perhaps the device name changed. What's the output of
>
>   ls -ld /sys/class/net/*

/sys/class/net/enp2s0 ->
../../devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:04.0/0000:02:00.0/net/enp2s0
/sys/class/net/lo -> ../../devices/virtual/net/lo
/sys/class/net/virbr0 -> ../../devices/virtual/net/virbr0
/sys/class/net/virbr0-nic -> ../../devices/virtual/net/virbr0-nic

> Packages installed or removed during a release upgrade are most likely
> irrelevant. Important are likely log files related to your Internet
> connection, but first at least provide information, how you connect to
> the Internet. Are you using a router?

Yes, it's a router.

Thx
Volker

Re: release upgrade breaks internet and other things

Volker Wysk

Zitat von Ralf Mardorf <[hidden email]>:

> On Wed, 2018-10-03 at 20:32 +0200, Volker Wysk wrote:
>> Doesn't that sound like a nameserver problem..?
>
> What's the output of e.g.
>
>   ping 8.8.8.8

This succeeds:

Bye

On Wed, 3 Oct 2018 20:49:55 +0200, Tom H wrote:
>It should most likely point at "/run/systemd/resolve/resolv.conf".

For container usage I prefer a file over a link.

[root@archlinux rocketmouse]# systemd-nspawn -qD /mnt/moonstudio lsb_release -a
LSB Version: core-9.20160110ubuntu0.2-amd64:core-9.20160110ubuntu0.2-noarch:security-9.20160110ubuntu0.2-amd64:security-9.20160110ubuntu0.2-noarch
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Release: 16.04
Codename: xenial
[root@archlinux rocketmouse]# ls -l /mnt/moonstudio/etc/resolv.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 94 Oct  1 19:04 /mnt/moonstudio/etc/resolv.conf
[root@archlinux rocketmouse]# cat /mnt/moonstudio/etc/resolv.conf
# Generated by resolvconf
domain localdomain
nameserver 192.168.1.1
nameserver fe80::1%enp3s0
[root@archlinux rocketmouse]#
[root@archlinux rocketmouse]#
[root@archlinux rocketmouse]#
[root@archlinux rocketmouse]# lsb_release -a
LSB Version: 1.4
Distributor ID: Arch
Release: rolling
Codename: n/a
[root@archlinux rocketmouse]# ls -l /etc/resolv.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 94 Oct  1 19:04 /etc/resolv.conf
[root@archlinux rocketmouse]# cat /etc/resolv.conf
# Generated by resolvconf
domain localdomain
nameserver 192.168.1.1
nameserver fe80::1%enp3s0

On Wed, 3 Oct 2018 at 19:27, Volker Wysk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I've done a do-release-upgrade on my 16.04 LTS system. This has broken
> the internet connection, and more. I get immediate "unknown host"
> errors when I ping to any host. When I lookup an adress in Firefox, I
> get a "Page not found, The connection to the server ... failed."
>
> Sorry, I don't know how to troubleshoot this connection problem.
>
> Where should I look..?

I had this, or something like it.

This is relevant and I think it's what I did to fix it:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/966870/dns-not-working-after-upgrade-17-04-to-17-10