reliable paste from windows clipboard into ssh session

reliable paste from windows clipboard into ssh session

ping
I guess this is not a common issue...

so I constantly work on ssh sessions, but I'm feeling boring to copy files back and forth between local and remote machine.

I tried to just copy the text file CONTENT into a remote cat or vi/vim , so the file can be directly saved in the remote device.

I thought this is cool/quick...and often it is...

but it looks for a huge file (30k lines , say), there might be some mis-order/mess in some lines -- it looks not a reliable way.

I don't know how the "shift-insert" works in the ssh client , but shouldn't this be reliable ? or does this require any special skill/tools to garrantee that?

I'm with cygwin terminal and openssh in it, the remote end is a linux server or bsd machine.

thanks.

regards

Re: reliable paste from windows clipboard into ssh session

Falk Stockmann
On 03/23/2014 03:18 AM, ping song wrote:
> but it looks for a huge file (30k lines , say), there might be some
> mis-order/mess in some lines -- it looks not a reliable way.

This might be due to Windows line break vs Unix line break. Are you able
to save the Windows file with Unix line break before copy/pasting?

http://www.cs.toronto.edu/~krueger/csc209h/tut/line-endings.html

Re: reliable paste from windows clipboard into ssh session

ping
hi Falk:
thanks for commenting.
from what I observed/tested, it's not that issue.
actually most of the texts got pasted successfully , with correct line breaks.
for a 100~200 lines kind of small buffers, it's always ok.
but when I want to paste more lines, chances are bigger that I end up with some lines are messed up , but still most lines are successfully/correctly pasted in...

what I tested is , via a cygwin ssh client, paste from a windows notepad, into a vim/vi instances running in a remote linux/unix machine...

maybe it just happened to me.

if this work fine, I really think it's a quick "file transfer" technique.

On 23 March 2014 02:18, ping song <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm with cygwin terminal and openssh in it, the remote end is a linux server
> or bsd machine.

I am not sure that it would help at all, but I usually use PuTTY for
this and it works fine for me.

--
Liam Proven * Profile: http://lproven.livejournal.com/profile
Email: [hidden email] * GMail/G+/Twitter/Flickr/Facebook: lproven