replacement or supplement for Nautilus

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
15 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

replacement or supplement for Nautilus

Gary J. Kirkpatrick
For the first time in the 10 years I have been using Ubuntu I am not happy with the file manager.  I think Gnome removed a very useful feature.  I want to be able to select all the files in a directory to copy or move.  There does not appear to be a way to do so.


Any other suggestions?


thanks



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: replacement or supplement for Nautilus

Colin Law
On Fri, 14 Sep 2018 at 15:38, Gary J. Kirkpatrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
For the first time in the 10 years I have been using Ubuntu I am not happy with the file manager.  I think Gnome removed a very useful feature.  I want to be able to select all the files in a directory to copy or move.  There does not appear to be a way to do so.

Does Ctrl+A work for you?

Colin
 

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: replacement or supplement for Nautilus

Jim Byrnes-4
On 09/14/2018 10:09 AM, Colin Law wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Sep 2018 at 15:38, Gary J. Kirkpatrick <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> For the first time in the 10 years I have been using Ubuntu I am not happy
>> with the file manager.  I think Gnome removed a very useful feature.  I
>> want to be able to select all the files in a directory to copy or move.
>> There does not appear to be a way to do so.
>>
>
> Does Ctrl+A work for you?
>
> Colin

I abandoned Nautilus when they removed the second pane. Made it totally
useless for the way I used it. Take a look at Double Commander. It's
what I use now and it works well for me.

Regards,  Jim



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: replacement or supplement for Nautilus

Chris-2
In reply to this post by Gary J. Kirkpatrick
On Fri, 2018-09-14 at 16:36 +0200, Gary J. Kirkpatrick wrote:

> For the first time in the 10 years I have been using Ubuntu I am not
> happy with the file manager.  I think Gnome removed a very useful
> feature.  I want to be able to select all the files in a directory to
> copy or move.  There does not appear to be a way to do so.
>
> I looked around and found https://www.linuxuprising.com/2018/07/how-t
> o-replace-nautilus-with-nemo-file.html
>
> Any other suggestions?
>
>
> thanks
>
FWIW I use XFE - http://roland65.free.fr/xfe/ current version forbionic is

 apt-cache policy xfe
xfe:
  Installed: 1.42-1

Just do a sudo apt install xfe should install it for you.


I think it will do everything you want.

--
Chris
KeyID 0xE372A7DA98E6705C
31.11972; -97.90167 (Elev. 1092 ft)
10:58:39 up 17:19, 1 user, load average: 0.69, 0.44, 0.26
Description: Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS, kernel 4.15.0-34-generic
--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

signature.asc (201 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: replacement or supplement for Nautilus

Bret Busby-2
In reply to this post by Gary J. Kirkpatrick
On 14/09/2018, Gary J. Kirkpatrick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> For the first time in the 10 years I have been using Ubuntu I am not happy
> with the file manager.  I think Gnome removed a very useful feature.  I
> want to be able to select all the files in a directory to copy or move.
> There does not appear to be a way to do so.
>
> I looked around and found
> https://www.linuxuprising.com/2018/07/how-to-replace-nautilus-with-nemo-file.html
>
>
> Any other suggestions?
>
>
> thanks
>
>
> garyk
>

Depending on how happy you are, with gnome, overall, perhaps, you
might want to try UbuntuMATE - the equivalent file manager, caja,
includes Select All.

http://ubuntu-mate.org/

I (it is my preference) have the GUI configured to resemble the Win95 interface.


--
Bret Busby
Armadale
West Australia
..............

"So once you do know what the question actually is,
 you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
 Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
 "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
 A Trilogy In Four Parts",
 written by Douglas Adams,
 published by Pan Books, 1992

....................................................

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: replacement or supplement for Nautilus

Ken D'Ambrosio
On 2018-09-14 12:24, Bret Busby wrote:
> Depending on how happy you are, with gnome, overall, perhaps, you
> might want to try UbuntuMATE - the equivalent file manager, caja,

Good call, Bret!  I'll second Caja -- works like a champ.  I *THINK* you
should be able to just install it with
apt install caja
and kick the tires. It'll install a boatload of dependencies, but disk
is cheap, right? ;-)  Or you can flat-out run MATE (as I do), but that
does require either some finicky work on your part, or a re-install.

-Ken

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

(Addendum) Re: replacement or supplement for Nautilus

Ken D'Ambrosio
> Good call, Bret!  I'll second Caja -- works like a champ.  I *THINK*
> you should be able to just install it with
> apt install caja
> and kick the tires. It'll install a boatload of dependencies, but disk
> is cheap, right? ;-)  Or you can flat-out run MATE (as I do), but that
> does require either some finicky work on your part, or a re-install.

D'oh.  I should've mentioned that MATE exists precisely for reasons like
your disenchantment: it was a fork of GNOME 2.X, because the GNOME folks
were changing things a bunch for the 3.X release, and users weren't wild
about all the features that were going away.  It's used fairly widely --
the Mint folks have it as one of their primary UIs, and Ubuntu folded it
in for its own release a few years ago, as well.  It probably sees a bit
less development than the newer/splashier UIs, but basically, if you
were satisfied that GNOME 2.X was "pretty darn good enough", as I am,
you'll like it.

$.02, YMMV, etc., etc.

-K

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: replacement or supplement for Nautilus

Liam Proven
In reply to this post by Gary J. Kirkpatrick
On Fri, 14 Sep 2018 at 16:38, Gary J. Kirkpatrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> For the first time in the 10 years I have been using Ubuntu I am not happy with the file manager.  I think Gnome removed a very useful feature.  I want to be able to select all the files in a directory to copy or move.  There does not appear to be a way to do so.

I hat to install 18.04-1 in a VM to check, but yes it does.

You press Ctrl-A, same as basically every file manager on every OS on
the planet, or you can right-click on a blank bit of background in a
folder and pick "select all" from the context menu.

If you are looking for a replacement file manager, I recommend Nemo.

It's a fork of the old version of GNOME 3 Nautilus (now called
"Files") before the GNOME 3 team started ripping out all the features.
It still has lots of nice stuff like multiple panes, a tree view in
the left pane, a disk space meter and more. I use it in Unity on
16.04.

It works fine with Unity and GNOME 3 and doesn't have that many
dependencies because it's built on Gtk3 the same as they are.

If you want, you can use Nemo to manage your desktop, but be warned,
this will break if you upgrade to a new version of Ubuntu. For that
reason I no longer do so.

Caja from MATE is based on an older, GNOME 2 codebase. It's also fine
but will pull in more stuff you don't really need, and I don't think
it can manage your desktop.

There are tons of 3rd party ones which won't integrate with GNOME at
all but are perfectly good if that's what you want, but Nemo
integrates more closely and with less overhead than anything else.

However, even the castrated "Files" app in GNOME 3.30 can still do
"Select all". I do not know where you were looking for it -- one of
the things the devs have ripped out is the menu bar and toolbar -- but
it is still there and it still works.

--
Liam Proven - Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: [hidden email] - Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus: [hidden email]
Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven - Skype/LinkedIn: liamproven
UK: +44 7939-087884 - ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: replacement or supplement for Nautilus

Gary J. Kirkpatrick
In reply to this post by Colin Law


On Fri, Sep 14, 2018 at 5:12 PM Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Fri, 14 Sep 2018 at 15:38, Gary J. Kirkpatrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
For the first time in the 10 years I have been using Ubuntu I am not happy with the file manager.  I think Gnome removed a very useful feature.  I want to be able to select all the files in a directory to copy or move.  There does not appear to be a way to do so.

Does Ctrl+A work for you?

Colin
 
--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users


yes, that works.  I looked at the list of keyboard shortcuts.  It is not there.


garyk 
--

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: replacement or supplement for Nautilus

Chris Green
On Fri, Sep 14, 2018 at 08:52:48PM +0200, Gary J. Kirkpatrick wrote:

>    On Fri, Sep 14, 2018 at 5:12 PM Colin Law <[1][hidden email]> wrote:
>
>    On Fri, 14 Sep 2018 at 15:38, Gary J. Kirkpatrick
>    <[2][hidden email]> wrote:
>
>    For the first time in the 10 years I have been using Ubuntu I am not
>    happy with the file manager.  I think Gnome removed a very useful
>    feature.  I want to be able to select all the files in a directory to
>    copy or move.  There does not appear to be a way to do so.
>
It's called the command line! :-)

They can't change that too radically (I hope).


--
Chris Green

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: replacement or supplement for Nautilus

Paul Smith-2
On Fri, Sep 14, 2018 at 08:52:48PM +0200, Gary J. Kirkpatrick wrote:
> For the first time in the 10 years I have been using Ubuntu I am not
> happy with the file manager.  I think Gnome removed a very useful
> feature.  I want to be able to select all the files in a directory to
> copy or move.  There does not appear to be a way to do so.

This makes me wonder what method you USED to use, that doesn't work
anymore.  Every way that I've ever known to select all or select a
group of files still works for me (I assume when you say they removed a
feature, you mean in Ubuntu 18.04--you don't actually specify which
version you're using that is missing the feature you're looking for).

C-a for all (as pointed out): this is a common shortcut, like C-c, C-x,
C-v, so maybe they don't bother to include it in all the different
shortcut lists.

Or, you can select a subset in list mode by clicking one, then shift-
click to select all the items between the first and the current, or
else ctrl-click to multi-select single files.

Or, in icon mode, you can select a rectangular group by click-drag to
draw a box around the files you want.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: replacement or supplement for Nautilus

Gary J. Kirkpatrick


On Fri, Sep 14, 2018 at 9:56 PM Paul Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Fri, Sep 14, 2018 at 08:52:48PM +0200, Gary J. Kirkpatrick wrote:
> For the first time in the 10 years I have been using Ubuntu I am not
> happy with the file manager.  I think Gnome removed a very useful
> feature.  I want to be able to select all the files in a directory to
> copy or move.  There does not appear to be a way to do so.

This makes me wonder what method you USED to use, that doesn't work
anymore.  Every way that I've ever known to select all or select a
group of files still works for me (I assume when you say they removed a
feature, you mean in Ubuntu 18.04--you don't actually specify which
version you're using that is missing the feature you're looking for).

C-a for all (as pointed out): this is a common shortcut, like C-c, C-x,
C-v, so maybe they don't bother to include it in all the different
shortcut lists.

Or, you can select a subset in list mode by clicking one, then shift-
click to select all the items between the first and the current, or
else ctrl-click to multi-select single files.

Or, in icon mode, you can select a rectangular group by click-drag to
draw a box around the files you want.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users


Ubuntu 18.04  Most often I used File, Select all.  Control A is just fine, just unaware of the option.  As I mentioned above it is not in the current list of shortcuts.

Another useful feature that is now gone is the ability to rotate an image in Image Viewer.  Did they really have to pare things down that much?

thanks for all the responses!

garyk

--

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: (Addendum) Re: replacement or supplement for Nautilus

Gary J. Kirkpatrick
In reply to this post by Ken D'Ambrosio


On Fri, Sep 14, 2018 at 7:20 PM Ken D'Ambrosio <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Good call, Bret!  I'll second Caja -- works like a champ.  I *THINK*
> you should be able to just install it with
> apt install caja
> and kick the tires. It'll install a boatload of dependencies, but disk
> is cheap, right? ;-)  Or you can flat-out run MATE (as I do), but that
> does require either some finicky work on your part, or a re-install.

D'oh.  I should've mentioned that MATE exists precisely for reasons like
your disenchantment: it was a fork of GNOME 2.X, because the GNOME folks
were changing things a bunch for the 3.X release, and users weren't wild
about all the features that were going away.  It's used fairly widely --
the Mint folks have it as one of their primary UIs, and Ubuntu folded it
in for its own release a few years ago, as well.  It probably sees a bit
less development than the newer/splashier UIs, but basically, if you
were satisfied that GNOME 2.X was "pretty darn good enough", as I am,
you'll like it.

$.02, YMMV, etc., etc.

-K

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

Gnone 2 was just fine, in fact, I preferred Unity however.  

garyk 






--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: replacement or supplement for Nautilus

Gary J. Kirkpatrick
In reply to this post by Liam Proven


On Fri, Sep 14, 2018 at 8:31 PM Liam Proven <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Fri, 14 Sep 2018 at 16:38, Gary J. Kirkpatrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> For the first time in the 10 years I have been using Ubuntu I am not happy with the file manager.  I think Gnome removed a very useful feature.  I want to be able to select all the files in a directory to copy or move.  There does not appear to be a way to do so.

I hat to install 18.04-1 in a VM to check, but yes it does.

You press Ctrl-A, same as basically every file manager on every OS on
the planet, or you can right-click on a blank bit of background in a
folder and pick "select all" from the context menu.

If you are looking for a replacement file manager, I recommend Nemo.

It's a fork of the old version of GNOME 3 Nautilus (now called
"Files") before the GNOME 3 team started ripping out all the features.
It still has lots of nice stuff like multiple panes, a tree view in
the left pane, a disk space meter and more. I use it in Unity on
16.04.

It works fine with Unity and GNOME 3 and doesn't have that many
dependencies because it's built on Gtk3 the same as they are.

If you want, you can use Nemo to manage your desktop, but be warned,
this will break if you upgrade to a new version of Ubuntu. For that
reason I no longer do so.

Caja from MATE is based on an older, GNOME 2 codebase. It's also fine
but will pull in more stuff you don't really need, and I don't think
it can manage your desktop.

There are tons of 3rd party ones which won't integrate with GNOME at
all but are perfectly good if that's what you want, but Nemo
integrates more closely and with less overhead than anything else.

However, even the castrated "Files" app in GNOME 3.30 can still do
"Select all". I do not know where you were looking for it -- one of
the things the devs have ripped out is the menu bar and toolbar -- but
it is still there and it still works.

--
Liam Proven - Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: [hidden email] - Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus: [hidden email]
Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven - Skype/LinkedIn: liamproven
UK: +44 7939-087884 - ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

Right click in a blank space!  I can not believe I did not think of that. I tried right clicking on the banner, which gets you another menu, right click on an icon yet another. 

thanks


garyk




--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: replacement or supplement for Nautilus

Felipe Portales
In reply to this post by Chris Green

El viernes, 14 de septiembre de 2018 16:14:48 -03, Chris Green escribió:

> It's called the command line! :-)

>

> They can't change that too radically (I hope).

>

>

> --

> Chris Green

 

Midnight Commander! or Ranger

 

--

Felipe Portales

[hidden email]


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users