resolv.conf questions

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
71 messages Options
1234
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: resolv.conf questions

Eliza


> Does anyone on the list have a problem with posts going into junk mail?
> I'm on hotmail and just found the OP on this topic in junk:)
> I've got entire lists going into junk but mostly random posts.

So, can you switch from hotmail to gmail/fastmail etc? the laters are
more modern IMO. When I show my personal email including hotmail/yahoo
to new friends, they all said: oops you are the old guy. :)

regards,
Eliza

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: resolv.conf questions

Liam Proven
On Wed, 7 Aug 2019 at 12:15, Eliza <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> So, can you switch from hotmail to gmail/fastmail etc? the laters are
> more modern IMO. When I show my personal email including hotmail/yahoo
> to new friends, they all said: oops you are the old guy. :)

My primary email address is from 1991. Hotmail is for newbies.

--
Liam Proven - Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: [hidden email] - Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus: [hidden email]
Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven - Skype/LinkedIn: liamproven
UK: +44 7939-087884 - ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: resolv.conf questions

Liam Proven
In reply to this post by Mike Marchywka
On Wed, 7 Aug 2019 at 11:31, Mike Marchywka <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Does anyone on the list have a problem with posts going into junk mail?
> I'm on hotmail and just found the OP on this topic in junk  :)
> I've got entire lists going into junk but mostly random posts.

No, but then I don't use Hotmail for anything important.

One reason is that it makes it hard to reply properly, underneath. :-P

--
Liam Proven - Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: [hidden email] - Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus: [hidden email]
Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven - Skype/LinkedIn: liamproven
UK: +44 7939-087884 - ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: resolv.conf questions

Eliza
In reply to this post by Liam Proven



> On Wed, 7 Aug 2019 at 12:15, Eliza <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> So, can you switch from hotmail to gmail/fastmail etc? the laters are
>> more modern IMO. When I show my personal email including hotmail/yahoo
>> to new friends, they all said: oops you are the old guy. :)
>
> My primary email address is from 1991. Hotmail is for newbies.
>

Your gmail from 1991? but I think gmail was started since 2004.4.1.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: resolv.conf questions

Liam Proven
On Wed, 7 Aug 2019 at 12:51, Eliza <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Your gmail from 1991? but I think gmail was started since 2004.4.1.

It was. Did you read my signature? Try doing that.


--
Liam Proven - Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: [hidden email] - Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus: [hidden email]
Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven - Skype/LinkedIn: liamproven
UK: +44 7939-087884 - ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: resolv.conf questions

Tom H-4
In reply to this post by Oliver Grawert
On Tue, Aug 6, 2019 at 10:24 PM Oliver Grawert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am Dienstag, den 06.08.2019, 21:37 +0200 schrieb Tom H:
>>
>>> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/resolvconf
>>>
>>> resolvconf was moved to universe on the path to 18.04 if you have
>>> not been transitioned, this sounds like a update-manager bug ...
>>
>> Shouldn't this have been in the release notes?
>>
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CosmicCuttlefish/ReleaseNotes
>>
> wrong release notes ;)
>
> "New since 16.04 LTS
> The default DNS resolver is systemd-resolved."
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BionicBeaver/ReleaseNotes

Oops. Thanks.

But what I meant was that the fact that resolvconf was being being
dropped/demoted isn't in the release notes.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: resolv.conf questions

Eliza
Sorry I was still confused.
When I put the line into /etc/resolv.conf:

nameserver 8.8.8.8

after a while it was replaced by the default one:

nameserver 127.0.0.53

How can I enforce to use 8.8.8.8 as nameserver?

Thanks & regards.
Eliza


在 2019/8/7 19:42, Tom H 写道:
> Oops. Thanks.
>
> But what I meant was that the fact that resolvconf was being being
> dropped/demoted isn't in the release notes.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: resolv.conf questions

Gilles Gravier-2
Eliza,

On 07/08/2019 13:54, Eliza wrote:

> Sorry I was still confused.
> When I put the line into /etc/resolv.conf:
>
> nameserver 8.8.8.8
>
> after a while it was replaced by the default one:
>
> nameserver 127.0.0.53
>
> How can I enforce to use 8.8.8.8 as nameserver?
>

I  have the same issue. Here is how I resolved it (beware that if you do
that, logging into captive portals won't work anymore, whereas with
127.0.0.53 it will).

Go to /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d and edit the file head

Add the line(s) nameserver 8.8.8.8 at the end.

While you're at it, add nameserver 8.8.4.4

And any other nameserver line you want (for example cloudflare's 1.1.1.1
DNS servers).

If you don't find that directory / file, you might be missing the
package resolvconf (sudo apt-get install resolvconf)

Then you can edit the above file.


Once this is done, reboot and voila.


Tell us if it works for you!

Gilles


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: resolv.conf questions

Tom H-4
In reply to this post by Eliza
On Wed, Aug 7, 2019 at 1:58 PM Eliza <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> Sorry I was still confused.
>
> When I put the line into /etc/resolv.conf:
>
> nameserver 8.8.8.8
>
> after a while it was replaced by the default one:
>
> nameserver 127.0.0.53
>
> How can I enforce to use 8.8.8.8 as nameserver?

Please bottom post.

Editing "/etc/resolv.conf" isn't going to persist if it's a symlink to
a file under "/run".

What's the output of

ls -l /etc/resolv.conf
ls -l /etc/netplan/*.yaml
cat /etc/netplan/*.yaml

To change the namerserver(s),

For a dynamic ip, use

network:
    version: 2
    renderer: networkd|NetworkManager #### choose one
    ethernets:
        eth0:
            dhcp4: true
            nameservers:
                nameservers: [192.168.0.1, 192.168.0.53] #### use yours

For a static ip, use

network:
    version: 2
    renderer: networkd|NetworkManager #### choose one
    ethernets:
        eth0:
            addresses: [192.168.0.111/24] #### use yours
            gateway4: 192.168.0.1 #### use yours
            nameservers:
                nameservers: [192.168.0.1, 192.168.0.53] #### use yours

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: resolv.conf questions

Tom H-4
In reply to this post by Gilles Gravier-2
On Wed, Aug 7, 2019 at 2:23 PM Gilles Gravier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 07/08/2019 13:54, Eliza wrote:
>>
>> Sorry I was still confused.
>> When I put the line into /etc/resolv.conf:
>>
>> nameserver 8.8.8.8
>>
>> after a while it was replaced by the default one:
>>
>> nameserver 127.0.0.53
>>
>> How can I enforce to use 8.8.8.8 as nameserver?
>
> I have the same issue. Here is how I resolved it (beware that if
> you do that, logging into captive portals won't work anymore,
> whereas with 127.0.0.53 it will).
>
> Go to /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d and edit the file head
>
> Add the line(s) nameserver 8.8.8.8 at the end.
>
> While you're at it, add nameserver 8.8.4.4
>
> And any other nameserver line you want (for example cloudflare's
> 1.1.1.1 DNS servers).
>
> If you don't find that directory / file, you might be missing the
> package resolvconf (sudo apt-get install resolvconf)
>
> Then you can edit the above file.
>
> Once this is done, reboot and voila.

?!

1) Editing "/etc/resolv.conf" if it's a symlink to a fule under "/run"
won't persist across reboots.

2) You can't have more than two nameservers in "/etc/resolv.conf".

3) Given that resolvconf is now in the "universe" component, it's
better to use systemd-networkd, which is the "main" component and is
anyway the Ubuntu default.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: resolv.conf questions

Robert Heller
In reply to this post by Eliza
At Wed, 7 Aug 2019 19:54:59 +0800 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> Sorry I was still confused.
> When I put the line into /etc/resolv.conf:
>
> nameserver 8.8.8.8
>
> after a while it was replaced by the default one:
>
> nameserver 127.0.0.53
>
> How can I enforce to use 8.8.8.8 as nameserver?
Either you need to read the man pages for systemd-resolved and update its
configuration (possibly non-trivial) OR do this:

sudo systemctl stop systemd-resolved
sudo systemctl disable systemd-resolved

*Then* edit /etc/resolv.conf

(I know some people will tell you not to do that.)

>
> Thanks & regards.
> Eliza
>
>
> 在 2019/8/7 19:42, Tom H 写道:
> > Oops. Thanks.
> >
> > But what I meant was that the fact that resolvconf was being being
> > dropped/demoted isn't in the release notes.
>
--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933
Deepwoods Software        -- Custom Software Services
http://www.deepsoft.com/  -- Linux Administration Services
[hidden email]       -- Webhosting Services
                                                                                                                     


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: resolv.conf questions

Robert Heller
In reply to this post by Gilles Gravier-2
At Wed, 7 Aug 2019 14:19:17 +0200 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> Eliza,
>
> On 07/08/2019 13:54, Eliza wrote:
> > Sorry I was still confused.
> > When I put the line into /etc/resolv.conf:
> >
> > nameserver 8.8.8.8
> >
> > after a while it was replaced by the default one:
> >
> > nameserver 127.0.0.53
> >
> > How can I enforce to use 8.8.8.8 as nameserver?
> >
>
> I  have the same issue. Here is how I resolved it (beware that if you do
> that, logging into captive portals won't work anymore, whereas with
> 127.0.0.53 it will).
>
> Go to /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d and edit the file head
>
> Add the line(s) nameserver 8.8.8.8 at the end.
>
> While you're at it, add nameserver 8.8.4.4
>
> And any other nameserver line you want (for example cloudflare's 1.1.1.1
> DNS servers).
>
> If you don't find that directory / file, you might be missing the
> package resolvconf (sudo apt-get install resolvconf)
>
> Then you can edit the above file.
>
>
> Once this is done, reboot and voila.
OR just restart systemd-resolved (no real need to reboot -- that is a silly
mess-windows habit):

sudo systemctl restart systemd-resolved


>
>
> Tell us if it works for you!
>
> Gilles
>
>

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933
Deepwoods Software        -- Custom Software Services
http://www.deepsoft.com/  -- Linux Administration Services
[hidden email]       -- Webhosting Services
                                                               


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: resolv.conf questions

Eliza
In reply to this post by Robert Heller
that's great. thanks.

在 2019/8/8 2:26, Robert Heller 写道:
> Either you need to read the man pages for systemd-resolved and update its
> configuration (possibly non-trivial) OR do this:
>
> sudo systemctl stop systemd-resolved
> sudo systemctl disable systemd-resolved
>
> *Then*  edit /etc/resolv.conf
>
> (I know some people will tell you not to do that.)

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: resolv.conf questions

Chris Green
In reply to this post by Eliza
On Wed, Aug 07, 2019 at 07:54:59PM +0800, Eliza wrote:
> Sorry I was still confused.
> When I put the line into /etc/resolv.conf:
>
> nameserver 8.8.8.8
>
> after a while it was replaced by the default one:
>
> nameserver 127.0.0.53
>
The 127.0.0.53 nameserver address is the *internal* (to the machine)
caching nameserver.  It remembers IP addresses for names and thus
saves sending a request out to the external nameserver[s] every time
you use a name.  The cache expires at intervals so that if an IP is
changed you will get the new address (after a while).

> How can I enforce to use 8.8.8.8 as nameserver?
>
8.8.8.8 is an *external* nameserver, the DNS lookup system on your
computer should go there (if 8.8.8.8 is the one you choose to use)
when it can't find a Name/IP pair in its internal cache.

Depending on your OS (yes, I know it's some sort of Ubuntu, but it may
still be different between versions) there are various ways that your
system may have the external nameserver configured.

The *usual* way this is done is in your ISP supplied router, it will usually
supply its IP (the router's IP that is) as the DNS your computers on
your LAN will use.  This is often 198.168.1.1 but certainly not
always.  The router will cache Name/IP pairs (in addition to the cache
in your computer]s]) and it will pass requests for which it doesn't
have the name in its cache to an external DNS which will (usually
again) be your ISP's nameserver[s].  

Thus if you want to change to using Google's nameservers at 8.8.8.8
the best/usual/right way to do it is probably to set the DNS in your
router.

As you can see DNS is quite complex and, while the above is the
commonest set-up it's by no means the only way of doing it.

--
Chris Green

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: resolv.conf questions

Tom H-4
In reply to this post by Robert Heller
On Wed, Aug 7, 2019 at 8:30 PM Robert Heller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> At Wed, 7 Aug 2019 19:54:59 +0800 <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Sorry I was still confused.
>>
>> When I put the line into /etc/resolv.conf:
>>
>> nameserver 8.8.8.8
>>
>> after a while it was replaced by the default one:
>>
>> nameserver 127.0.0.53
>>
>> How can I enforce to use 8.8.8.8 as nameserver?
>
> Either you need to read the man pages for systemd-resolved and
> update its configuration (possibly non-trivial) OR do this:
>
> sudo systemctl stop systemd-resolved
> sudo systemctl disable systemd-resolved
>
> *Then* edit /etc/resolv.conf
>
> (I know some people will tell you not to do that.)

Terrible idea!

1) If you edit "/etc/resolv.conf" while it's a symlink to a file under
"/run", you're editing the latter file and, after a reboot with
systemd-resolved disabled, you'll have an empty "/etc/resolv.conf".

2) If you delete the "/etc/resolv.conf" symlink, edit it as a regular
file, and are using NM with its default settings and the dhcp-default
dhclient or are using ifupdown with its default settings and the
dhcp-default dhclient, after a reboot, "/etc/resolv.conf" will contain
the dhcp-provided nameserver(s). (systemd-networkd manipulates
"/etc/resolv.conf" via systemd-resolved.)

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: resolv.conf questions

Eliza
In reply to this post by Chris Green
If I use Verisign's nameservers for example:

a.gtld-servers.net
b.gtld-servers.net
...

Will I get better performance for queries?

Thanks.

在 2019/8/8 16:05, Chris Green 写道:
> Thus if you want to change to using Google's nameservers at 8.8.8.8
> the best/usual/right way to do it is probably to set the DNS in your
> router.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: resolv.conf questions

Colin Law
In reply to this post by Eliza
On Wed, 7 Aug 2019 at 12:58, Eliza <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> Sorry I was still confused.
> When I put the line into /etc/resolv.conf:
>
> nameserver 8.8.8.8
>
> after a while it was replaced by the default one:
>
> nameserver 127.0.0.53
>
> How can I enforce to use 8.8.8.8 as nameserver?

Is this a standard Ubuntu install with a GUI?  If so then you should
use the network manager settings to define the nameserver.

Colin

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: resolv.conf questions

Eliza


在 2019/8/8 16:19, Colin Law 写道:
> Is this a standard Ubuntu install with a GUI?  If so then you should
> use the network manager settings to define the nameserver.

Hi,

what the systemd-resolve shows:

$ sudo systemd-resolve --status
Global
           DNSSEC NTA: 10.in-addr.arpa
                       16.172.in-addr.arpa
                       168.192.in-addr.arpa
                       17.172.in-addr.arpa
                       18.172.in-addr.arpa
                       19.172.in-addr.arpa
                       20.172.in-addr.arpa
                       21.172.in-addr.arpa
                       22.172.in-addr.arpa
                       23.172.in-addr.arpa
                       24.172.in-addr.arpa
                       25.172.in-addr.arpa
                       26.172.in-addr.arpa
                       27.172.in-addr.arpa
                       28.172.in-addr.arpa
                       29.172.in-addr.arpa
                       30.172.in-addr.arpa
                       31.172.in-addr.arpa
                       corp
                       d.f.ip6.arpa
                       home
                       internal
                       intranet
                       lan
                       local
                       private
                       test

Link 2 (ens3)
       Current Scopes: DNS
        LLMNR setting: yes
MulticastDNS setting: no
       DNSSEC setting: no
     DNSSEC supported: no
          DNS Servers: 108.61.10.10

Thanks.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: resolv.conf questions

ubuntu-users mailing list
In reply to this post by Robert Heller
On Wed,  7 Aug 2019 14:26:52 -0400 (EDT), Robert Heller wrote:
>OR just restart systemd-resolved (no real need to reboot -- that is a
>silly mess-windows habit):

So you expect all users to become experts? If you e.g. close evolution,
then upgrade evolution, you cannot just restart evolution after
the upgrade, you need to kill all evolution processes after the upgrade.

When closing not all evolution processes are terminated, if you
manually kill all evolution processes and you are running some
gnome-shell thingy, it will restart one or the other evolution process.
So even killing the processes by command line needs to be done after
the upgrade. You need to be aware about such things.

Should I continue with examples?

How about https://packages.ubuntu.com/disco/all/rtirq-init/filelist ?

In Ubuntu its does still use an init script, while upstream and other
distros already use a systemd unit.

However, if you reconfigure rtirq and you restart it (either via an
init script or systemd), it should do the job, but actually it not
necessarily does, a reboot could be required.

How about Linux memory issues? I'm a power user and don't know the
steps to handle those by command line and even those who have got the
skills seem to be in favour of rebooting the machine, perhaps just for
time reasons.

You expect a user to know when restarting a service does the job and
when a reboot could be needed. You expect a user to know how to handle
each application, IOW to know that some apps might run several
processes and another process unrelated to the app might restart those
processes?

It's ridiculous, just a few power users have this knowledge and even
those easily could miss something.

A reboot is not "a silly mess-windows habit", it's the only sane way to
not accidentally miss something for experts with much knowledge and the
only way at all for Jane Dow even when using Linux. Actually even
Windows not necessarily requires a restart, it's just the safest way to
ensure that everything is in place.

Reboots are silly, if Microsoft or Apple support mentions them as the
only shot in the dark troubleshooting step, but apart from this
restarting a machine in general isn't a bad idea.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: resolv.conf questions

Chris Green
In reply to this post by Eliza
On Thu, Aug 08, 2019 at 04:17:04PM +0800, Eliza wrote:

> 在 2019/8/8 16:05, Chris Green 写道:
> > Thus if you want to change to using Google's nameservers at 8.8.8.8
> > the best/usual/right way to do it is probably to set the DNS in your
> > router.
>
> If I use Verisign's nameservers for example:
>
> a.gtld-servers.net
> b.gtld-servers.net
> ...
>
> Will I get better performance for queries?
>
Better than what? :-)  It's *usually* better to use your ISP's
nameservers (I'm assuming Verisign is your ISP) as they are 'closer'
in connection terms to you and thus the query won't take so long.
However it might be that Google's 8.8.8.8 will respond faster, it's
very much 'suck it and see'.

--
Chris Green

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
1234