root ftp access

Rein Mann
Hi,
I would like to have root access to my ubuntu-linux box from windows
on the local network.
Commenting out (#root) in ftpusers does not work.
How can I achieve this?
Rein

Re: root ftp access

albi@scii.nl
On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 00:59:32 +0000 (UTC)
Rein Mann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I would like to have root access to my ubuntu-linux box from windows
> on the local network.
> Commenting out (#root) in ftpusers does not work.
> How can I achieve this?

no idea, maybe it's not even possible in any ftp-server software
(ftp does plain text username+password by default)

but why don't you try winscp (runs even quite well in wine), and enable
root-login in sshd.conf, and you get basically the same idea

http://winscp.sf.net

--
grtjs,
albi

Re: root ftp access

Justin Gallardo
Rein Mann wrote:
> Hi,
> I would like to have root access to my ubuntu-linux box from windows
> on the local network.
> Commenting out (#root) in ftpusers does not work.
> How can I achieve this?
> Rein

Better yet, use SFTP. Be sure to give your root user a password.

--
Justin Gallardo
http://mirwin.net

Re: root ftp access

chrisccoulson

I'm trying the same thing...but I can't get it right.

How do I know what my root password is? I assume that the username is
"root". I've switched my ftp app to SFTP, but it doens't seem to work.

All help will be appreciated. Thanks. ;)

--
Contrid

Re: root ftp access

Guillermo Garron
On 9/22/06, Contrid <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm trying the same thing...but I can't get it right.
>
> How do I know what my root password is? I assume that the username is
> "root". I've switched my ftp app to SFTP, but it doens't seem to work.
>
> All help will be appreciated. Thanks. ;)
use this to put a password for your root user
as in ubuntu the root i think has no password

$sudo passwd root
it will ask you a password, and the to retype it.
be sure to use a really good password.

regards,
Guillermo.

Re: root ftp access

nodata-2
Am Mittwoch, den 13.09.2006, 00:59 +0000 schrieb Rein Mann:
> Hi,
> I would like to have root access to my ubuntu-linux box from windows
> on the local network.
> Commenting out (#root) in ftpusers does not work.
> How can I achieve this?
> Rein

You don't want to do this. It would remove any security you have on your
Linux box. Anyone that wants the root password will be able to get it
with no effort.

Instead, use sftp. Google for "putty" and download the sftp program on
the page. You will see no difference, but your root password will be
safe.