running bionic beaver from USB stick sometimes crashes requiring I pull the stick before rebooting.

running bionic beaver from USB stick sometimes crashes requiring I pull the stick before rebooting.

Mike Marchywka
I recentrly downloaded this version,  ubuntu-18.04.1-desktop-amd64.iso ,
and got it to run on old e-machines with Sempron 3100 and about 750M RAM
using  version 5.10 of syslinux ( the startup creator on my other Ubuntu install did not seem to work well
so I did everything by hand, I needed to keep hacking the assembly code to find the geometry checks
etc lol  ). It runs great in single user mode and update/upgrade seemed to
go ok. Early during the process of making the stick and then again when trying to run
lightdm ( and the sources.list did not include universe which was a surprise but I never checked release notes)
the thing froze and would not reboot until I removed the USB stick,

Pulling the stick, booting Debian from the HD and then rebooting with stick in place and selecting
it for boot does appear to work. The USB, HD, and BIOS all appear to be intact.

Where should I be looking for the problem?

I was also curious what this thing is supposed to do for a swap partition.

I did set up casper and home rw and
sn but the sn thing just gives errors at boot and shutdown.

What is the lightest thing I can run that will support firefox as I am obviously resource
limited?

I also seem to have some problem with dhclient and restarting networking,
I have to run it manually a few times although I also got rid of the linked
version of /etc/resolv..conf and just put in 8.8.8.8 for a nameserver.

Thanks.

note new address
 Mike Marchywka 306 Charles Cox Drive Canton, GA 30115
 2295 Collinworth  Drive Marietta GA 30062.  formerly 487 Salem Woods Drive Marietta GA 30067 404-788-1216 (C)<- leave message 989-348-4796 (P)<- emergency

Re: running bionic beaver from USB stick sometimes crashes requiring I pull the stick before rebooting.

Ian Bruntlett
Hi Mike,

On Sat, 5 Jan 2019 at 14:33, Mike Marchywka <[hidden email]> wrote:
I recentrly downloaded this version,  ubuntu-18.04.1-desktop-amd64.iso ,
and got it to run on old e-machines with Sempron 3100 and about 750M RAM
1) My instincts tell me 750M of RAM is not enough for what you are using and doing. After some research I found this:-

If I had to use an Ubuntu on a system with 750M of RAM (assuming that a memory upgrade is not feasible), I would install lubuntu

2) I just use the installer as provided by the Ubuntu install. Nothing fancy and it just work,

HTH,

Ian

Re: running bionic beaver from USB stick sometimes crashes requiring I pull the stick before rebooting.

Mike Marchywka
Thanks. Looking here I guess I could try Openbox,

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/LowMemorySystems

with my current Ubuntu version and see how that does with firefox.
Basically my debian install no longer supports new browsers and that was
one point of this along with creating a portable bootable USB with modern OS.

Openbox  does come up in apt-cache search although my next question is how to search
for available options: I tried "display manager" before and I guess this is a "window manager"

In any case the crash mode with difficult reboot is disconcerting.
I can hunt it down but thought someone may have an idea on a starting point. I still have
my hacked up syslinux if it is getting that far although it did not seem to be.

note new address
 Mike Marchywka 306 Charles Cox Drive Canton, GA 30115
 2295 Collinworth  Drive Marietta GA 30062.  formerly 487 Salem Woods Drive Marietta GA 30067 404-788-1216 (C)&lt;- leave message 989-348-4796 (P)&lt;- emergency

Re: running bionic beaver from USB stick sometimes crashes requiring I pull the stick before rebooting.

Mike Marchywka
Thanks, it looks like openbox runs firefox just fine but I had to kill apparmor earlier and now deja,-dup-monitor and maybe others.
System load is about 5 or more and kdwapd is active but no idea what it is doing with maybe 600M of memory and no
swap partition that I can see :)
Openbox was so minial I did not know the black screen with cursor was ready to provide a terminal and browser
which is exactly what I need.

On attempting with deja_up_monitor it did crash again but seems ok although slow now.

note new address
 Mike Marchywka 306 Charles Cox Drive Canton, GA 30115
 2295 Collinworth  Drive Marietta GA 30062.  formerly 487 Salem Woods Drive Marietta GA 30067 404-788-1216 (C)&lt;- leave message 989-348-4796 (P)&lt;- emergency

Re: running bionic beaver from USB stick sometimes crashes requiring I pull the stick before rebooting.

Mike Marchywka
Firefox with defaiult settings it too slow for graphical pages although chrome seems a lot better
and system load may be lower. I don' t suppose there is a browser build option for coherent memory accesses
as it looks like it is just thrashing. the 750Megs  :)

However, I have also had an annoying problem with display flickering as if the frame buffer base is
changing for a few scans. It looked like "nomodeset" was not helping anything so I pulled that out of
the linux command line and no drivers come up with ubuntu-devices.

note new address
 Mike Marchywka 306 Charles Cox Drive Canton, GA 30115
 2295 Collinworth  Drive Marietta GA 30062.  formerly 487 Salem Woods Drive Marietta GA 30067 404-788-1216 (C)&lt;- leave message 989-348-4796 (P)&lt;- emergency

Re: running bionic beaver from USB stick sometimes crashes requiring I pull the stick before rebooting.

Mike Marchywka

It turns out that running 'strings" on the chrome executable turns up something called "--optimize_for_size"
which makes the latest chrome  maybe even faster than my older browsers- I'm not sure if that is documented
or indeed if it did anything but it is now running acceptably. . I guess if you have been avoiding
upgrading to bioinc beaver as I was due to concerns about exceeding the resources
of an old machine so far if you dig a little it seems the new code may not be that
bad.  Again, I had to turn a lot of default stuff off but the code and options are there.

I still get flicker over the entire screen when scrolling a window like video frame buffer address
getting hit but this system may be more functional than my old Debian even with the 750M total RAM...

And this is just running from the USB crive not the hard disk.

fwiw\