safe way to attach a possibly malware loaded USB device?

safe way to attach a possibly malware loaded USB device?

Mike Marchywka
I just got another piece of USB hardware and don't have any real reason to be suspicious
but I was curious if there is a USB "Safe mode" to prevent a device from acting
in a malicious way.  I guess the universal nature allows a given device to pretend
to be just about anything and not sure of what it could eventually do with malicious code.

Thanks.

note new address
 Mike Marchywka 306 Charles Cox Drive Canton, GA 30115
 2295 Collinworth  Drive Marietta GA 30062.  formerly 487 Salem Woods Drive Marietta GA 30067 404-788-1216 (C)<- leave message 989-348-4796 (P)<- emergency

Re: safe way to attach a possibly malware loaded USB device?

Colin Law

On Sun, 8 Nov 2020, 23:21 Mike Marchywka, <[hidden email]> wrote:
I just got another piece of USB hardware and don't have any real reason to be suspicious
but I was curious if there is a USB "Safe mode" to prevent a device from acting
in a malicious way.  I guess the universal nature allows a given device to pretend
to be just about anything and not sure of what it could eventually do with malicious code.

For my education, can you provide an example of how plugging in a device can cause harm?

Colin

Thanks.

note new address
 Mike Marchywka 306 Charles Cox Drive Canton, GA 30115
 2295 Collinworth  Drive Marietta GA 30062.  formerly 487 Salem Woods Drive Marietta GA 30067 404-788-1216 (C)<- leave message 989-348-4796 (P)<- emergency

Re: safe way to attach a possibly malware loaded USB device?

Mike Marchywka
These things are all over google, since they can appear to be just about anything and you
can easily store Gb of malware inside a "mouse" or keyboard curious what can realistically
happen. Although just a malfunctioning keyboard can be a nuisance you can just unplug
it, something that appears as a keyboard and a disk could do a lot AFAICT.  If you plug
in a keyboard it just starts working lol.

https://www.cnet.com/news/usb-devices-spreading-viruses/

"   Thumb drives aren't the only culprits; any device that plugs into a USB port--including gadgets like lights, fans, speakers, toys, even a digital microscope--can be used to spread malware, "

On Mon, 9 Nov 2020 at 08:49, Mike Marchywka <[hidden email]> wrote:

> These things are all over google, since they can appear to be just about anything and you
> can easily store Gb of malware inside a "mouse" or keyboard curious what can realistically
> happen. Although just a malfunctioning keyboard can be a nuisance you can just unplug
> it, something that appears as a keyboard and a disk could do a lot AFAICT.  If you plug
> in a keyboard it just starts working lol.

Yes, I see, I hadn't thought of something like a keyboard.  I suppose
the moral is to buy from reputable sources.

Colin

On Mon, 9 Nov 2020 at 00:21, Mike Marchywka <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I just got another piece of USB hardware and don't have any real reason to be suspicious
> but I was curious if there is a USB "Safe mode" to prevent a device from acting
> in a malicious way.  I guess the universal nature allows a given device to pretend
> to be just about anything and not sure of what it could eventually do with malicious code.

No, but you can buy "USB Condoms". These are cables which only connect
the power lines and not the data lines.

Email: [hidden email] – gMail/gTalk/gHangouts: [hidden email]

Re: safe way to attach a possibly malware loaded USB device?

Mike Marchywka
This has come up a while back I guess but was not sure how
to search although finally got a few hits, fwiw,

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/274203/disable-any-usb-keyboard-and-mouse

blacklist usbhid

note new address
 Mike Marchywka 306 Charles Cox Drive Canton, GA 30115
 2295 Collinworth  Drive Marietta GA 30062.  formerly 487 Salem Woods Drive Marietta GA 30067 404-788-1216 (C)<- leave message 989-348-4796 (P)<- emergency

On Mon, 9 Nov 2020 at 00:21, Mike Marchywka <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I just got another piece of USB hardware and don't have any real reason to be suspicious
> but I was curious if there is a USB "Safe mode" to prevent a device from acting
> in a malicious way.  I guess the universal nature allows a given device to pretend
> to be just about anything and not sure of what it could eventually do with malicious code.

No, but you can buy "USB Condoms". These are cables which only connect
the power lines and not the data lines.

Email: [hidden email] – gMail/gTalk/gHangouts: [hidden email]

Re: safe way to attach a possibly malware loaded USB device?

Robert Heller
At Mon, 9 Nov 2020 07:25:01 +0000 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, 8 Nov 2020, 23:21 Mike Marchywka, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I just got another piece of USB hardware and don't have any real reason to
> > be suspicious
> > but I was curious if there is a USB "Safe mode" to prevent a device from
> > acting
> > in a malicious way.  I guess the universal nature allows a given device to
> > pretend
> > to be just about anything and not sure of what it could eventually do with
> > malicious code.
> >

> For my education, can you provide an example of how plugging in a device
> can cause harm?

Probably the same way a CD/DVD can, using the Autorun "feature" of MS-Windows
(and MacOSX?). (Should not be an issue with Linux, unless some bright bulb
implemented Autorun under Linux.)

> Colin
>

> > Thanks.
> >
> > note new address
> >  Mike Marchywka 306 Charles Cox Drive Canton, GA 30115
> >  2295 Collinworth  Drive Marietta GA 30062.  formerly 487 Salem Woods
> > Drive Marietta GA 30067 404-788-1216 (C)<- leave message 989-348-4796 (P)<-
> > emergency
> >
> > --

Robert Heller             -- Cell: 413-658-7953 GV: 978-633-5364