second monitor suddenly not detected

Karl Auer
This is a new one on me. For no apparent reason, the display manager
(Wayland/Ubuntu on 20.04) exited. I still had a console, so I logged in
and powered off the laptop gracefully.

Upon powering up, Ubuntu did not detect my second HDMI-connected
monitor. There are a couple of other niggles, such as a Gnome shell
extension having vanished. And the gnome tweaks tool doesn't show 90%
of the tweaks it used to. Butthe display looks OK otherwise.

I've looked for answers in google, but the answers don't seem to apply
(and are almost all regarding 18.04). I tried switching from Ubuntu to
Gnome and back at login, no change. Tried update/upgrade and it
upgraded a surprising number of packages in icluding Nvidia libraries
and suchlike, but no change. Ran "sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm3", no
output and no change.

Short of re-installing Ubuntu, is it possible to reinstall or
reconfigure the graphics subsystem? This is a Lenovo Y540 with Nvidia
graphics hardware, and currently the nouveau driver is active.

Regards, K.

Karl Auer ([hidden email])
http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer

GPG fingerprint: 2561 E9EC D868 E73C 8AF1 49CF EE50 4B1D CCA1 5170
Old fingerprint: 8D08 9CAA 649A AFEF E862 062A 2E97 42D4 A2A0 616D

Re: second monitor suddenly not detected

Karl Auer
On Sat, 2020-09-26 at 11:30 +1000, Karl Auer wrote:
> Upon powering up, Ubuntu did not detect my second HDMI-connected
> monitor. There are a couple of other niggles, such as a Gnome shell
> extension having vanished. And the gnome tweaks tool doesn't show 90%
> of the tweaks it used to. But the display looks OK otherwise.

More info on this: This does not look right:

kauer@kt1:~$ xrandr -q
xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default
Screen 0: minimum 1920 x 1080, current 1920 x 1080, maximum 1920 x 1080
default connected primary 1920x1080+0+0 0mm x 0mm
   1920x1080     77.00*

kauer@kt1:~$ sudo lshw -C video
  *-display UNCLAIMED
       product: TU116M [GeForce GTX 1660 Ti Mobile]
       vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
       physical id: 0
       bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
       version: a1
       width: 64 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: pm msi pciexpress vga_controller cap_list
       configuration: latency=0
       resources: memory:b3000000-b3ffffff memory:a0000000-afffffff
memory:b0000000-b1ffffff ioport:4000(size=128) memory:b2000000-b207ffff

Karl Auer ([hidden email])
http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer

GPG fingerprint: 2561 E9EC D868 E73C 8AF1 49CF EE50 4B1D CCA1 5170
Old fingerprint: 8D08 9CAA 649A AFEF E862 062A 2E97 42D4 A2A0 616D

second monitor suddenly not detected (resend)

Karl Auer
[I didn't see this appear in the mailing list. My apologies to anyone
who sees it twice]

This is a new one on me. For no apparent reason, the display manager
(Wayland/Ubuntu on 20.04) exited. I still had a console, so I logged in
and powered off the laptop gracefully.

Upon powering up, Ubuntu did not detect my second HDMI-connected
monitor. There are a couple of other niggles, such as a Gnome shell
extension having vanished. And the gnome tweaks tool doesn't show 90%
of the tweaks it used to. But the display looks OK otherwise.

I've looked for answers in google, but the answers don't seem to apply
(and are almost all regarding 18.04). I tried switching from Ubuntu to
Gnome and back at login, no change. Tried update/upgrade and it
upgraded a surprising number of packages in including Nvidia libraries
and suchlike, but no change. Ran "sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm3", no
output and no change.

Short of re-installing Ubuntu, is it possible to reinstall or
reconfigure the graphics subsystem? This is a Lenovo Y540 with Nvidia
graphics hardware, and currently the nouveau driver is active.

Regards, K.

Karl Auer ([hidden email])
http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer

GPG fingerprint: 2561 E9EC D868 E73C 8AF1 49CF EE50 4B1D CCA1 5170
Old fingerprint: 8D08 9CAA 649A AFEF E862 062A 2E97 42D4 A2A0 616D

Re: second monitor suddenly not detected (resend)

Colin Law
On Sat, 26 Sep 2020 at 06:02, Karl Auer <[hidden email]> wrote:
I tried switching from Ubuntu to
> Gnome and back at login, no change.

Do you mean switching from Wayland to Gnome?  If so did it work in
Gnome?  You may have meant to imply that but didn't say so explicitly.

 Tried update/upgrade and it
> upgraded a surprising number of packages in including Nvidia libraries
> and suchlike, but no change. Ran "sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm3", no
> output and no change.
>
> Short of re-installing Ubuntu, is it possible to reinstall or
> reconfigure the graphics subsystem? This is a Lenovo Y540 with Nvidia
> graphics hardware, and currently the nouveau driver is active.

What happens if you log on as a different user?  Create one if necessary.

Colin

Re: second monitor suddenly not detected (resend)

Karl Auer
Thanks for your response, Colin.

On Sat, 2020-09-26 at 09:07 +0100, Colin Law wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Sep 2020 at 06:02, Karl Auer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I tried switching from Ubuntu to
> > Gnome and back at login, no change.
>
> Do you mean switching from Wayland to Gnome?

I mean that at the login screen I clicked the cog and chose GNOME
instead of Ubuntu. I got a working display manager, but the second
monitor was still "missing".

> If so did it work in Gnome?

No. There was still no second monitor.

> What happens if you log on as a different user?  Create one if
> necessary.

I did already try that - no change.

It really feels as if Ubuntu has somehow "forgotten" it's video
settings. Is there not some way to re-install the graphics system?

On Sat, 26 Sep 2020 at 09:58, Karl Auer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It really feels as if Ubuntu has somehow "forgotten" it's video
> settings. Is there not some way to re-install the graphics system?

It could be hardware of course.  Try booting from a live image, or/and
boot into windows if the machine has a windows partition.

Colin

On Sat, 26 Sep 2020 at 10:49, Karl Auer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is a new one on me. For no apparent reason, the display manager
> (Wayland/Ubuntu on 20.04) exited. I still had a console, so I logged in
> and powered off the laptop gracefully.

By "display manager exited" you mean the GUI crashed?

Yes, that is not unheard of. Ctrl-Alt-Del will do a quick clean reboot.

> Upon powering up, Ubuntu did not detect my second HDMI-connected
> monitor. There are a couple of other niggles, such as a Gnome shell
> extension having vanished. And the gnome tweaks tool doesn't show 90%
> of the tweaks it used to. Butthe display looks OK otherwise.

Hmmm. It could be some kind of config file damage or corruption.

HDMI depends on a lot of fancy device detection -- designed in to
maintain copyright protection. Sadly, I kid you not.

Disconnect the cable, both ends, and reconnect it. If it's HDMI to
HDMI, try reversing the cable.

(On 1 of my machines -- not Linux, but still -- I could only get a
reliable picture by converting the signal from Displayport to HDMI to
DVI. I wish I were joking. This worked 100% of the time, instantly;
Displayport worked about 66% of the time after 1-2min of trying to
detect the screen.)

> I've looked for answers in google, but the answers don't seem to apply
> (and are almost all regarding 18.04). I tried switching from Ubuntu to
> Gnome and back at login, no change.

So does that mean switching from Wayland to X.org? (I am sorry, I
don't use GNOME and don't have an Ubuntu GNOME machine installed
anywhere any more. I have tried, at length, but I just can't stand
it.)

> Tried update/upgrade and it
> upgraded a surprising number of packages in icluding Nvidia libraries
> and suchlike, but no change.

Silly question: did you reboot?

> Ran "sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm3", no
> output and no change.

> Short of re-installing Ubuntu, is it possible to reinstall or
> reconfigure the graphics subsystem? This is a Lenovo Y540 with Nvidia
> graphics hardware, and currently the nouveau driver is active.

Well, you could try the nVidia drivers. That would be my preference.

Email: [hidden email] – gMail/gTalk/gHangouts: [hidden email]

On Sat, 2020-09-26 at 15:15 +0200, Liam Proven wrote:
> By "display manager exited" you mean the GUI crashed?

Yes.

> Yes, that is not unheard of. Ctrl-Alt-Del will do a quick clean
> reboot.

I did a graceful power-off from a console.

> Hmmm. It could be some kind of config file damage or corruption.

That's my guess, and why I was hoping someone could tell me how to re-
install the graphics layers. I mean  - it happens when installing the
OS for the first time, surely it is possible to repeat the process?

But the request for info on how to do that has been consistently
ignored, leading me to think it isn't possible. Google doesn't help
either.

> Disconnect the cable, both ends, and reconnect it. If it's HDMI to
> HDMI, try reversing the cable.

All already done. No change. The miminal data returned by e.g. xrandr
suggests a driver issue to me, but see above - how do I re-install
them? Remember everything was working perfectly until the GUI crashed.

> So does that mean switching from Wayland to X.org?

It means I selected GNOME via the cog icon at login, instead of Ubuntu.

> Silly question: did you reboot?

More often than you can possibly imagine :-)

> Well, you could try the nVidia drivers. That would be my preference.

I think I may have to try that.

Regards, K.

Karl Auer ([hidden email])
http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer

GPG fingerprint: 2561 E9EC D868 E73C 8AF1 49CF EE50 4B1D CCA1 5170
Old fingerprint: 8D08 9CAA 649A AFEF E862 062A 2E97 42D4 A2A0 616D

Re: second monitor suddenly not detected

Liam Proven
On Sun, 27 Sep 2020 at 01:46, Karl Auer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I did a graceful power-off from a console.

Yes, I know, I read that. I am just trying to be helpful and point out
a fast easy way that works even if you can't log in or see the
console.

> That's my guess, and why I was hoping someone could tell me how to re-
> install the graphics layers. I mean  - it happens when installing the
> OS for the first time, surely it is possible to repeat the process?

Depends -- some things get written, rather than copied into place.

Create a new account; see if it is affected?

> But the request for info on how to do that has been consistently
> ignored, leading me to think it isn't possible. Google doesn't help
> either.

Doesn't it? I found this very quickly:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/67764/how-to-remove-and-reinstall-gnome-3

> All already done. No change. The miminal data returned by e.g. xrandr
> suggests a driver issue to me, but see above - how do I re-install
> them? Remember everything was working perfectly until the GUI crashed.

Have you checked your disk for errors with `fsck`?

> > So does that mean switching from Wayland to X.org?
>
> It means I selected GNOME via the cog icon at login, instead of Ubuntu.

OK. As I said: I do not run Ubuntu with GNOME and so I do not know
what the options available there are, and you are not helping me here
by telling me!

I *think* from the last time I tried it, a year or 2 back maybe, that
there were options for:

• Ubuntu-customised GNOME on Wayland
• Ubuntu-customised GNOME on X.org
• Plain vanilla GNOME on Wayland
• Plain vanilla GNOME on X.org

The key thing here is to work out if this is connected to Wayland, or
X.org, or both.

On Mon, 2020-09-28 at 00:04 +0200, Liam Proven wrote:
> Create a new account; see if it is affected?

Already done. No change.

> Doesn't it? I found this very quickly:
> https://askubuntu.com/questions/67764/how-to-remove-and-reinstall-gnome-3

That is about how to re-install gnome shell. This problem sems to be
way below gnome-shell. But I will give it a go anyway; perhaps
installing gnome-shell installs the entire video subsystem it needs.

Have you checked your disk for errors with `fsck`?

No - but it's been rebooted a few times, which I thought did a check.
I'll check the check :-)

> > It means I selected GNOME via the cog icon at login, instead of
> > Ubuntu.
>
> OK. As I said: I do not run Ubuntu with GNOME and so I do not know
> what the options available there are, and you are not helping me here
> by telling me!

Let me be clearer then: I have absolutely no idea what the two options
do in terms of X.org vs Wayland. I'm sorry...

> I *think* from the last time I tried it, a year or 2 back maybe, that
> there were options for:

On my system there are two, and they are called "GNOME" and "Ubuntu".

> The key thing here is to work out if this is connected to Wayland, or
> X.org, or both.

If you have a hint on how I can tell the difference I will do it
immediately and report. But I'll google a bit more too.

R C

Re: second monitor suddenly not detected

R C

wasn't on Ubuntu, but if that happened, and I disconnected the monitor
that was working, booted it 'cold'  it would see/use it . then
reconnected the monitor that was working before and they both were
detected (but mirrored, which was easy to fix)  That was with an NVIDIA
card btw.

On Mon, 28 Sep 2020 at 00:28, R C <[hidden email]> wrote:

> wasn't on Ubuntu, but if that happened, and I disconnected the monitor
> that was working, booted it 'cold'  it would see/use it . then
> reconnected the monitor that was working before and they both were
> detected (but mirrored, which was easy to fix)  That was with an NVIDIA
> card btw.

Another thing that could be looked at is to unplug it, reboot monitor
the log (sudo journalctl -f, or tail -f syslog if  you prefer) plug it
in and see what appears.

Colin

On Mon, 2020-09-28 at 08:41 +0100, Colin Law wrote:
> Another thing that could be looked at is to unplug it, reboot monitor
> the log (sudo journalctl -f, or tail -f syslog if  you prefer) plug
> it in and see what appears.

Well, I have two monitors again. I installed the latest NVidia drivers
(450.66) power cycled the thing, and the second monitor came back.

The weird thing is I never *chose* to install the NVidia drivers, they
appeared as an update. They seem to have replaced nouveau unbidden. So
I remain pretty confused. I don't like operating my computers on
hopefulness, I prefer to know what's going on.

The success was after quite a few tantalising failures. Switched the
BIOS to "switchable graphics" and the distro USB booted without me
having to select "safe graphics", so that was good. The distro USB
seemed to know about the second monitor but was unable to use it. If I
selected "join displays" the "Revert/Keep" dialog disappeared; I guess
it was on the second monitor, so I just pressed escape to revert.

I put the BIOS back to discrete graphics, ran apt update and apt
upgrade and saw a bunch of nvidia stuff being held back. So I did a
dist-upgrade, power cycled, and lo! Two screens again. No real idea
why, and most importantly no idea why it went away in the first place.
My suspicion is that the new NVidia stff was not actually necessary,
but the process of installing it fixed up whatever was broken.

My thanks to all who contributed ideas; clearly display management
remains the black art it has always been. My boundless gratitude goes
to that band of geniuses that keep it all working.

On Mon, 2020-09-28 at 23:28 +1000, Karl Auer wrote:
> Well, I have two monitors again.

For completeness, this is the current output from xrandr -q and lshw
-class video. xrandr has much more info. lshw no longer says the
display is "unclaimed", capabilities now include bus-master and rom,
the configuration now shows a driver and the "resources" line now shows
an IRQ.

kauer@kt1:~$ xrandr -q
Screen 0: minimum 8 x 8, current 3600 x 1080, maximum 32767 x 32767
DP-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
DP-1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
HDMI-0 connected 1680x1050+1920+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y
axis) 473mm x 296mm
   1680x1050     59.88*+
   1280x1024     75.02    60.02
   1152x864      75.00
   1024x768      75.03    60.00
   800x600       75.00    60.32
   640x480       75.00    59.94
DP-2 connected primary 1920x1080+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis
y axis) 344mm x 193mm
   1920x1080    144.00*+
DP-3 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
DP-4 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)

kauer@kt1:~$ sudo lshw -C video
  *-display
       product: TU116M [GeForce GTX 1660 Ti Mobile]
       vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
       physical id: 0
       bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
       version: a1
       width: 64 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: pm msi pciexpress vga_controller bus_master
cap_list rom
       configuration: driver=nvidia latency=0
       resources: irq:158 memory:b3000000-b3ffffff memory:a0000000-
afffffff memory:b0000000-b1ffffff ioport:4000(size=128)
memory:b2000000-b207ffff
Karl Auer ([hidden email])
http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer

GPG fingerprint: 2561 E9EC D868 E73C 8AF1 49CF EE50 4B1D CCA1 5170
Old fingerprint: 8D08 9CAA 649A AFEF E862 062A 2E97 42D4 A2A0 616D

Re: second monitor suddenly not detected

Charles M
Karl this is late and doesn't look like it's relevant, but I had the
same issue with my 2nd DVI connected monitor the other day. In my case
I think I accidentally removed the nvidia driver. When my display came
back up, the single display was not 1920x1080. It happened after
rebooting from my Windows 10 partition to Xubuntu.

I have a habit sometimes of typing:

sudo apt autoremove

I've done this quite a bit in the past because I've worked on servers
where they kept so many kernels it ended up filling the machine. In my
case I re-added the NVidia driver (drivers) through the UI, rebooted
and all was well. I noticed today a number of nvidia drivers again
marked to be removed, including the display driver. I'm not typing
sudo apt autoremove this time...

Charles

On Sat, Sep 26, 2020 at 4:49 AM Karl Auer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is a new one on me. For no apparent reason, the display manager
> (Wayland/Ubuntu on 20.04) exited. I still had a console, so I logged in
> and powered off the laptop gracefully.
>
> Upon powering up, Ubuntu did not detect my second HDMI-connected
> monitor. There are a couple of other niggles, such as a Gnome shell
> extension having vanished. And the gnome tweaks tool doesn't show 90%
> of the tweaks it used to. Butthe display looks OK otherwise.
>
> I've looked for answers in google, but the answers don't seem to apply
> (and are almost all regarding 18.04). I tried switching from Ubuntu to
> Gnome and back at login, no change. Tried update/upgrade and it
> upgraded a surprising number of packages in icluding Nvidia libraries
> and suchlike, but no change. Ran "sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm3", no
> output and no change.
>
> Short of re-installing Ubuntu, is it possible to reinstall or
> reconfigure the graphics subsystem? This is a Lenovo Y540 with Nvidia
> graphics hardware, and currently the nouveau driver is active.
>
> Regards, K.

> Karl Auer ([hidden email])
> http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer
>
> GPG fingerprint: 2561 E9EC D868 E73C 8AF1 49CF EE50 4B1D CCA1 5170
> Old fingerprint: 8D08 9CAA 649A AFEF E862 062A 2E97 42D4 A2A0 616D

Charles
Blog: https://chaslinux.com/
(My Asteroids reboot) Fasteroids: http://chaslinux.itch.io/fasteroids
Twitter/Identica/Google+: @chaslinux

Re: second monitor suddenly not detected

Tommy Trussell
On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 6:36 PM Charles M <[hidden email]> wrote:
I noticed today a number of nvidia drivers again
marked to be removed, including the display driver. I'm not typing
sudo apt autoremove this time...

I was going to say that I believe if you issue the apt command to install the packages a second time (after they've been installed) they will be marked as "manual" and should not ever be flagged by autoremove again,

HOWEVER I did a search on statuses and discovered you can use the explicit command apt-mark to set them

$ apt-mark manual [packagename(s)]

You can get a list of packages that have already been marked "manual"

$ apt-mark showmanual

Maybe (assuming the status works as advertised) that will reduce your fear of autoremove in the future.