Quantcast

setting an interface to promiscuous mode

setting an interface to promiscuous mode

Tomoki Taniguchi
I am trying to figure out a way to set eth1 up and in promiscuous mode when
the system starts up

i can setup promiscuous mode by running
ifconfig eth1 up promisc

how do i set up the same behavior in
/etc/network/interface file so that it runs the same thing when
/etc/init.d/networking is called

TIA,
Tomoki

Re: setting an interface to promiscuous mode

Michael R. Head
On Thu, 2007-08-16 at 15:07 +0900, Tomoki Taniguchi wrote:
> I am trying to figure out a way to set eth1 up and in promiscuous mode when
> the system starts up
>
> i can setup promiscuous mode by running
> ifconfig eth1 up promisc
>
> how do i set up the same behavior in
> /etc/network/interface file so that it runs the same thing when
> /etc/init.d/networking is called

I believe you can use the "pre-up" or "post-up" directives if you like:

post-up ifconfig eth1 up promisc

But why do you want to? Most apps (such as wireshark or iptraf) that
make use of promiscuous mode will enable and disable it on demand.

--
Michael R. Head <[hidden email]>
http://picasaweb.google.com/demiri.head.wedding