setting the hostname on ubuntu 18.04 / iRedMail

setting the hostname on ubuntu 18.04 / iRedMail

robert rottermann

Hi there

I am a bit confused on how to est the hostname on an 18.04 server.

I intend to use the server as a mail server running iRedMail.

The instruction to set up iRedMail instructs to set :

On Debian/Ubuntu Linux, hostname is set in two files: /etc/hostname and /etc/hosts.

  • /etc/hostname: short hostname, not FQDN.
mx

and to to set etc hosts:

  • /etc/hosts: static table lookup for hostnames. Warning: Please list the FQDN hostname as first item.
# Part of file: /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1   mx.example.com mx localhost localhost.localdomain

so what I did:

in /etc/cloud/cloud.cfg

I changed:

# This will cause the set+update hostname module to not operate (if true)
preserve_hostname: true

in /etc/hostname:

mx

in /etc/hosts:

127.0.1.1 redcor.com redcor.com
127.0.0.1 mx.redcor.com localhost

::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts

However when I execute:

hostname -f

I get:

mx

How should I setup the hostname, that I can use the server as a mailserver for mail.redcor.com

thannks, robert

Re: setting the hostname on ubuntu 18.04 / iRedMail

Compdoc@hotrodpc.com

On 1/9/19 4:39 AM, robert rottermann wrote:

On Debian/Ubuntu Linux, hostname is set in two files: /etc/hostname and /etc/hosts.

  • /etc/hostname: short hostname, not FQDN.
mx

and to to set etc hosts:

  • /etc/hosts: static table lookup for hostnames. Warning: Please list the FQDN hostname as first item.
# Part of file: /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1   mx.example.com mx localhost localhost.localdomain

so what I did:

in /etc/cloud/cloud.cfg

I changed:

# This will cause the set+update hostname module to not operate (if true)
preserve_hostname: true

in /etc/hostname:

mx

in /etc/hosts:

127.0.1.1 redcor.com redcor.com
127.0.0.1 mx.redcor.com localhost

mx is an unusal name for a mail server in my opinion, but I suppose it doesn't matter. I tend to use mail.domain.com, or main.domain.com

However, an 'mx' record needs to be set correctly with the business that hosts your domain name, such as Network Solutions or Godaddy, etc. It needs to point to the address of your mail server.

This is how I set my hosts file:

127.0.0.1 localhost

192.168.1.1 mail.domain.com mail

Use the real local ip address. I think "127.0.1.1" is placed there by network-manager, but not sure. I dont use it.

And your hostname is correct. Its just the single name of the server.

Re: setting the hostname on ubuntu 18.04 / iRedMail

Tom H-4
On Wed, Jan 9, 2019 at 12:41 PM robert rottermann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am a bit confused on how to est the hostname on an 18.04 server.
>
> I intend to use the server as a mail server running iRedMail.
>
> The instruction to set up iRedMail instructs to set :
>
> On Debian/Ubuntu Linux, hostname is set in two files: /etc/hostname and /etc/hosts.
>
> /etc/hostname: short hostname, not FQDN.
>
> mx
>
> and to to set etc hosts:
>
> /etc/hosts: static table lookup for hostnames. Warning: Please list the FQDN hostname as first item.
>
> # Part of file: /etc/hosts
> 127.0.0.1   mx.example.com mx localhost localhost.localdomain
>
> so what I did:
>
> in /etc/cloud/cloud.cfg
>
> I changed:
>
> # This will cause the set+update hostname module to not operate (if true)
> preserve_hostname: true
>
> in /etc/hostname:
>
> mx
>
> in /etc/hosts:
>
> 127.0.1.1 redcor.com redcor.com
> 127.0.0.1 mx.redcor.com localhost

> ::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
> fe00::0 ip6-localnet
> ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
> ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
> ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
> ff02::3 ip6-allhosts
>
> However when I execute:
>
> hostname -f
>
> I get:
>
> mx
>
> How should I setup the hostname, that I can use the server as a mailserver for mail.redcor.com

If you're using a dynamic address

# cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.1.1 mx.redcor.com redcor.com
...ipv6...

If you're using a static address and don't want to use the above

# cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost
<static_address> mx.redcor.com redcor.com
...ipv6...

But you can use

# cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost
...ipv6...

if
you're using systemd-resolved and install lbnss-resolve
or if
you're not using systemd-resolved and install lbnss-myhostname