shrinking the desktop DVD image to 1.5GB

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
26 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

shrinking the desktop DVD image to 1.5GB

Allison Randal-4
At UDS-O, we discussed CD space again (as at many a past UDS). Colin has
nicely summarized the discussion:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FoundationsTeam/Specs/OneiricCDSizing

Following on the tail of this, a few of us have been talking more about
the idea of shrinking the 4.3GB DVD image down to a 1.5GB flash card/USB
stick/DVD image. It's looking interesting enough to be worth talking
about it more broadly.

Ubuntu desktop will be sticking with the ~700MB image size in Oneiric
(see the wiki page for details), so this isn't about reopening that
discussion or about fitting things on the 700MB image.

A few questions:

- Does a 1.5GB image sound useful?

- 1.5GB is what we keep coming back to, because it's a nice size to fit
on a cheap 2GB flash card/USB stick with room for formatting and
persistent data storage. It's about double the size of the current CD
image, which allows plenty of room for a generous desktop image, without
the painfully large download of the 4.3GB image. What other size
considerations come to mind?

- What should we cut from the current DVD image (currently a superset of
desktop, alternate, and server)? Or, perhaps more simply, what would be
worth adding beyond the current 700MB CD image?

Allison

--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: shrinking the desktop DVD image to 1.5GB

Bryce Harrington-5
On Wed, Jun 08, 2011 at 03:50:30PM -0700, Allison Randal wrote:
> Following on the tail of this, a few of us have been talking more about
> the idea of shrinking the 4.3GB DVD image down to a 1.5GB flash card/USB
> stick/DVD image. It's looking interesting enough to be worth talking
> about it more broadly.
>
> - Does a 1.5GB image sound useful?

It does.  It's only double the size of the CD iso, rather than six times
as is the case with the regular DVD, so an easier download proposition.

> - 1.5GB is what we keep coming back to, because it's a nice size to fit
> on a cheap 2GB flash card/USB stick with room for formatting and
> persistent data storage. It's about double the size of the current CD
> image, which allows plenty of room for a generous desktop image, without
> the painfully large download of the 4.3GB image. What other size
> considerations come to mind?

I think the download bandwidth is probably the more important factor
here.  $5 will get a 2GB usb drive today; next year the same amount will
probably get a 4 or 8GB drive.  Year after that you probably won't be
able to even find 2GB drives.

So, you probably don't need to be as strict about the size limit over
time, the way we have to be for CDs.

> - What should we cut from the current DVD image (currently a superset of
> desktop, alternate, and server)? Or, perhaps more simply, what would be
> worth adding beyond the current 700MB CD image?

If we have the machinery to produce language-specific CDs, could that
same machinery be used to produce language-specific USB isos?  If so,
then only one language per image is necessary.  Looks like that'd give
back a lot of space.

Would be nice to see a diff of the DVD manifest vs. CD, with package
sizes, so we can see what packages would give back the most space to
drop.

As far as stuff worth adding, maybe look first at apps we've had to drop
like gimp and various office tools.  A few more games might be nice.
I'd love to see Inkscape included.  What about frequently needed
proprietary codecs or drivers?

Bryce

--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: shrinking the desktop DVD image to 1.5GB

Scott Kitterman-3
In reply to this post by Allison Randal-4
On Wednesday, June 08, 2011 06:50:30 PM Allison Randal wrote:

> At UDS-O, we discussed CD space again (as at many a past UDS). Colin has
> nicely summarized the discussion:
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FoundationsTeam/Specs/OneiricCDSizing
>
> Following on the tail of this, a few of us have been talking more about
> the idea of shrinking the 4.3GB DVD image down to a 1.5GB flash card/USB
> stick/DVD image. It's looking interesting enough to be worth talking
> about it more broadly.
>
> Ubuntu desktop will be sticking with the ~700MB image size in Oneiric
> (see the wiki page for details), so this isn't about reopening that
> discussion or about fitting things on the 700MB image.
>
> A few questions:
>
> - Does a 1.5GB image sound useful?
>
> - 1.5GB is what we keep coming back to, because it's a nice size to fit
> on a cheap 2GB flash card/USB stick with room for formatting and
> persistent data storage. It's about double the size of the current CD
> image, which allows plenty of room for a generous desktop image, without
> the painfully large download of the 4.3GB image. What other size
> considerations come to mind?
>
> - What should we cut from the current DVD image (currently a superset of
> desktop, alternate, and server)? Or, perhaps more simply, what would be
> worth adding beyond the current 700MB CD image?
>
> Allison

For Kubuntu we changed our DVD image in Natty to also provide a metapackage
(kubuntu-full) that was meant to give a broader KDE experience than can be
shoved into 700MB (things like Digikam, Koffice (this will be Calligra in
Oneiric), etc.)  For Oneiric it's our intent to not releasee a CD sized
alternate to reduce ISO QA requirements, so having the alternate installer
available on the DVD is important (as are some other planned changes to reduce
the number of use cases the live installer won't support).  As a result, I
don't think the smaller DVD is very interesting for Kubuntu, so even if Ubuntu
moves to the smaller size, please preserve the capability to retain the
current image sizes.

Scott K

--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: shrinking the desktop DVD image to 1.5GB

Martin Owens-2
In reply to this post by Bryce Harrington-5
On Wed, 2011-06-08 at 16:55 -0700, Bryce Harrington wrote:
> As far as stuff worth adding, maybe look first at apps we've had to
> drop
> like gimp and various office tools.  A few more games might be nice.
> I'd love to see Inkscape included.

A sort of maker of things collection? Inkscape, Gimp, Audacity and
Pitivi?

> What about frequently needed
> proprietary codecs or drivers?

We don't have any proprietary codecs, the need for w32codecs package is
basically gone with the more capable ffmpeg and gstreamer plugins. All
the codec stuff off disc because of patent fears, nothing concrete, just
a fear that Canonical would be liable from patent attacks.

Although including libdvdcss is a funny one since no company will go
anywhere near it, it's a criminal offense with 20 years in jail as far
as I remember. DMCA is a nasty bit of work when it comes to breaking
encryption.

The only other things in the restricted extras which _are_ proprietary
are the ms fonts and flash. I struggle to find a real reason to include
either one.

Martin,


--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: shrinking the desktop DVD image to 1.5GB

Phillip Susi
In reply to this post by Allison Randal-4
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On 06/08/2011 06:50 PM, Allison Randal wrote:
> Following on the tail of this, a few of us have been talking more about
> the idea of shrinking the 4.3GB DVD image down to a 1.5GB flash card/USB
> stick/DVD image. It's looking interesting enough to be worth talking
> about it more broadly.

Do you mean creating a new image in between the dvd and cd, or replacing
the dvd image?  I hope the former.  I find the DVD image handy because
you can still boot it as a livecd, and install using the GUI installer,
but also fall back to the alternate for server or other advanced
installs, or if the gui installer has problems, and even use it to
upgrade an existing system ( or several ) without having to download all
of the packages.

> - What should we cut from the current DVD image (currently a superset of
> desktop, alternate, and server)? Or, perhaps more simply, what would be
> worth adding beyond the current 700MB CD image?

One thing that would be nice to fix with the existing DVD image is the
waste of space it has from duplicating the language packs both as
packages in the pool, and being installed in the sqashfs live image,
which is MUCH larger than the one on the livecd.  It seems like the
language packs should only be included in the pool, not the squashfs
image, and installed on demand.  This also adds to the installation time
significantly ( like 400% increase - it is ridiculous ) since it has to
remove all of the language packs from the target system after copying
the squashfs.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.11 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/

iEYEARECAAYFAk3wJzMACgkQJ4UciIs+XuJQMgCgmx9VdMqJ9xnTUImv3nh247JJ
zwQAniXPN15a50JlQlJRm5RXsQkP7TOK
=NP1I
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: shrinking the desktop DVD image to 1.5GB

Scott Kitterman-3
On Wednesday, June 08, 2011 09:52:13 PM Phillip Susi wrote:

> On 06/08/2011 06:50 PM, Allison Randal wrote:
> > Following on the tail of this, a few of us have been talking more about
> > the idea of shrinking the 4.3GB DVD image down to a 1.5GB flash card/USB
> > stick/DVD image. It's looking interesting enough to be worth talking
> > about it more broadly.
>
> Do you mean creating a new image in between the dvd and cd, or replacing
> the dvd image?  I hope the former.  I find the DVD image handy because
> you can still boot it as a livecd, and install using the GUI installer,
> but also fall back to the alternate for server or other advanced
> installs, or if the gui installer has problems, and even use it to
> upgrade an existing system ( or several ) without having to download all
> of the packages.
>
> > - What should we cut from the current DVD image (currently a superset of
> > desktop, alternate, and server)? Or, perhaps more simply, what would be
> > worth adding beyond the current 700MB CD image?
>
> One thing that would be nice to fix with the existing DVD image is the
> waste of space it has from duplicating the language packs both as
> packages in the pool, and being installed in the sqashfs live image,
> which is MUCH larger than the one on the livecd.  It seems like the
> language packs should only be included in the pool, not the squashfs
> image, and installed on demand.  This also adds to the installation time
> significantly ( like 400% increase - it is ridiculous ) since it has to
> remove all of the language packs from the target system after copying
> the squashfs.

+1 from me for this.

Scott K

--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: shrinking the desktop DVD image to 1.5GB

Martin Pitt-4
In reply to this post by Allison Randal-4
Allison Randal [2011-06-08 15:50 -0700]:
> - Does a 1.5GB image sound useful?

For me, it's basically the difference between "useless hog" (it's
simply not worth downloading 4.5 GB and then finding a large enough
USB stick just to get three extra packages), and "very nice for
carrying around with you to get a larger set of applications", and 1.5
GB is a bearable download even with slower DSL links.

> - 1.5GB is what we keep coming back to, because it's a nice size to fit
> on a cheap 2GB flash card/USB stick with room for formatting and
> persistent data storage.

I agree. Also, as Bryce said, this isn't a physical limit, so we could
e. g. increase it by 10% each year.

> - What should we cut from the current DVD image (currently a superset of
> desktop, alternate, and server)? Or, perhaps more simply, what would be
> worth adding beyond the current 700MB CD image?

My preference would be to turn it into a large desktop CD.

I. e. we should remove the alternate/server parts and the pool, and
try to find a solution in ubiquity to remove the unnecessary langpacks
from the live system wholesale without having to wait for half an hour
in ubiquity.  That will get a bit hackish, but we know what langpacks
look like, so skipping the unneeded /usr/share/locale-langpack/...
files during copying and doing some careful dpkg brain surgery
might do the trick (perhaps purging is even fast enough if there
aren't any files from the package left?).

So from my side the DVD would be useful with better i18n support (just
the translations, not all the extra dictionaries etc.) and with the
featured applications that we have in the software-center, such as
GIMP, Inkscape, the full LibO, developer tools (devhelp/anjuta/etc.).
Some top-notch free games in the leagure of Wesnoth and frozen bubble
would also be nice IMHO.

Martin

--
Martin Pitt                        | http://www.piware.de
Ubuntu Developer (www.ubuntu.com)  | Debian Developer  (www.debian.org)

--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel

signature.asc (853 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: shrinking the desktop DVD image to 1.5GB

Martin Pitt-4
In reply to this post by Phillip Susi
Phillip Susi [2011-06-08 21:52 -0400]:
> One thing that would be nice to fix with the existing DVD image is the
> waste of space it has from duplicating the language packs both as
> packages in the pool, and being installed in the sqashfs live image,
> which is MUCH larger than the one on the livecd.

I agree, duplicating them is a hideous waste.

> It seems like the language packs should only be included in the
> pool, not the squashfs image, and installed on demand.

I disagree. They should only be in the squashfs image, so that you can
actually _use_ the live system in your local language.

> This also adds to the installation time significantly ( like 400%
> increase - it is ridiculous ) since it has to remove all of the
> language packs from the target system after copying the squashfs.

That's right, but I'd rather fix that. ubiquity could skip
/usr/share/locale-langpack/[everything but the selected locale]/
during copy, then it should be a lot faster?

Martin

--
Martin Pitt                        | http://www.piware.de
Ubuntu Developer (www.ubuntu.com)  | Debian Developer  (www.debian.org)

--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: shrinking the desktop DVD image to 1.5GB

Didier Roche-3
In reply to this post by Bryce Harrington-5
On mer., 2011-06-08 at 16:55 -0700, Bryce Harrington wrote:
>
> > - What should we cut from the current DVD image (currently a superset of
> > desktop, alternate, and server)? Or, perhaps more simply, what would be
> > worth adding beyond the current 700MB CD image?
>
> If we have the machinery to produce language-specific CDs, could that
> same machinery be used to produce language-specific USB isos?  If so,
> then only one language per image is necessary.  Looks like that'd give
> back a lot of space.

I don't think we should do that for USB isos. That adds iso QA, space
required on mirrors in addition to people downloading the wrong image
(and maybe a ETOOMUCHCHOICE?)

language-specific CDs is one step ahead and we will see how this scale
with disk space, iso QA and loco providing their default, but I don't
think we should rush in language-specific USB isos.

Didier


--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: shrinking the desktop DVD image to 1.5GB

Matt Zimmerman-2
In reply to this post by Allison Randal-4
On Wed, Jun 08, 2011 at 03:50:30PM -0700, Allison Randal wrote:
> At UDS-O, we discussed CD space again (as at many a past UDS). Colin has
> nicely summarized the discussion:
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FoundationsTeam/Specs/OneiricCDSizing
>
> Following on the tail of this, a few of us have been talking more about
> the idea of shrinking the 4.3GB DVD image down to a 1.5GB flash card/USB
> stick/DVD image. It's looking interesting enough to be worth talking
> about it more broadly.

Love it.

--
 - mdz

--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: shrinking the desktop DVD image to 1.5GB

Stéphane Graber-2
In reply to this post by Martin Pitt-4
On Thu, 2011-06-09 at 07:23 +0200, Martin Pitt wrote:

> Phillip Susi [2011-06-08 21:52 -0400]:
> > One thing that would be nice to fix with the existing DVD image is the
> > waste of space it has from duplicating the language packs both as
> > packages in the pool, and being installed in the sqashfs live image,
> > which is MUCH larger than the one on the livecd.
>
> I agree, duplicating them is a hideous waste.
>
> > It seems like the language packs should only be included in the
> > pool, not the squashfs image, and installed on demand.
>
> I disagree. They should only be in the squashfs image, so that you can
> actually _use_ the live system in your local language.
>
> > This also adds to the installation time significantly ( like 400%
> > increase - it is ridiculous ) since it has to remove all of the
> > language packs from the target system after copying the squashfs.
>
> That's right, but I'd rather fix that. ubiquity could skip
> /usr/share/locale-langpack/[everything but the selected locale]/
> during copy, then it should be a lot faster?
>
> Martin
Hi Martin,

Edubuntu has been having that langpack removal problem for a long time
now (since we moved to DVD) and the current logic in ubiquity is already
not to copy the files.

What currently takes a really long time (around 30 minutes on a 45
minutes install for me) is the purging of the langpacks and their
dependencies, mostly:
 - langpack themselves (edubuntu ships with: base, gnome and kde)
 - language-support
 - fonts (quite a few are being pulled by language-support-*)
 - dictionaries/... else that's being pulled by language-support

I'd have to look at a recent log to confirm, but my feeling last time
was that with better dpkg triggers we should be saving a lot of time (as
most of these packages are using triggers).

Hacking the dpkg database post-install and running/merging all the
postrm scripts would probably fix the install time issue but quite
likely introduce a lot of pretty nasty bugs (what if we forget something
or add something to a postrm script without updating our magic ?).

--
Stéphane Graber
Ubuntu developer
http://www.ubuntu.com

--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel

signature.asc (853 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: shrinking the desktop DVD image to 1.5GB

James Westby-2
In reply to this post by Allison Randal-4
On Wed, 08 Jun 2011 15:50:30 -0700, Allison Randal <[hidden email]> wrote:
> - What should we cut from the current DVD image (currently a superset of
> desktop, alternate, and server)? Or, perhaps more simply, what would be
> worth adding beyond the current 700MB CD image?

Does the DVD install extra stuff than the CD if you install a desktop?

I think we should be careful of diluting the experience is by providing
alternatives to packages on the CD (e.g. providing Thunderbird if
evolution is still the default.)

I also think that it would be good to have a metapackage to install the
extra packages if you install from the CD first, like the kubuntu-full
package that Scott mentions.

Looking at what I have installed that isn't default, I would suggest

  * inkscape
  * gimp
  * frozen-bubble

The other things probably aren't appropriate (wireshark?)

Thanks,

James


--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: shrinking the desktop DVD image to 1.5GB

Steve Langasek-6
In reply to this post by Martin Pitt-4
On Thu, Jun 09, 2011 at 07:23:31AM +0200, Martin Pitt wrote:
> Phillip Susi [2011-06-08 21:52 -0400]:
> > One thing that would be nice to fix with the existing DVD image is the
> > waste of space it has from duplicating the language packs both as
> > packages in the pool, and being installed in the sqashfs live image,
> > which is MUCH larger than the one on the livecd.

> I agree, duplicating them is a hideous waste.

> > It seems like the language packs should only be included in the
> > pool, not the squashfs image, and installed on demand.

> I disagree. They should only be in the squashfs image, so that you can
> actually _use_ the live system in your local language.

Is there any reason that they have to be in the squashfs image to get that
effect?  I know that's how it's architected today, but would it actually be
a better experience to have a much smaller squashfs that needs to be
unpacked, to which the correct language pack is applied on-the-fly as soon
as we know what language the user has selected?

Cons:
 - have to wait for apt before starting the login session or ubiquity
 - new code has to be written
Pros:
 - shorter livefs build time
 - shorter install time
 - potentially *reusable* squashfs image, that can be extended for new
   locales just by dropping it on a new ISO including a different package
   repo

Is this worth exploring?

--
Steve Langasek                   Give me a lever long enough and a Free OS
Debian Developer                   to set it on, and I can move the world.
Ubuntu Developer                                    http://www.debian.org/
[hidden email]                                     [hidden email]

--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel

signature.asc (845 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: shrinking the desktop DVD image to 1.5GB

Stéphane Graber-2
On Thu, 2011-06-09 at 10:49 -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 09, 2011 at 07:23:31AM +0200, Martin Pitt wrote:
> > Phillip Susi [2011-06-08 21:52 -0400]:
> > > One thing that would be nice to fix with the existing DVD image is the
> > > waste of space it has from duplicating the language packs both as
> > > packages in the pool, and being installed in the sqashfs live image,
> > > which is MUCH larger than the one on the livecd.
>
> > I agree, duplicating them is a hideous waste.
>
> > > It seems like the language packs should only be included in the
> > > pool, not the squashfs image, and installed on demand.
>
> > I disagree. They should only be in the squashfs image, so that you can
> > actually _use_ the live system in your local language.
>
> Is there any reason that they have to be in the squashfs image to get that
> effect?  I know that's how it's architected today, but would it actually be
> a better experience to have a much smaller squashfs that needs to be
> unpacked, to which the correct language pack is applied on-the-fly as soon
> as we know what language the user has selected?
>
> Cons:
>  - have to wait for apt before starting the login session or ubiquity
>  - new code has to be written
> Pros:
>  - shorter livefs build time
>  - shorter install time
>  - potentially *reusable* squashfs image, that can be extended for new
>    locales just by dropping it on a new ISO including a different package
>    repo
>
> Is this worth exploring?
It's actually how I planned to fix it for Edubuntu :)

The idea was to check if the user chose something else than English and
if so prompt them in Xsession (while we can still change $LANG).
They'd then have the choice to either install the langpack and get a
translated live session (if they have enough RAM for that) or continue
in English and only have ubiquity translated.

In all cases, ubiquity would grab the langpacks from the pool and
install them.

--
Stéphane Graber
Ubuntu developer
http://www.ubuntu.com

--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel

signature.asc (853 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: shrinking the desktop DVD image to 1.5GB

Martin Pitt-4
In reply to this post by Steve Langasek-6
Steve Langasek [2011-06-09 10:49 -0700]:
> Is there any reason that they have to be in the squashfs image to get that
> effect?  I know that's how it's architected today, but would it actually be
> a better experience to have a much smaller squashfs that needs to be
> unpacked, to which the correct language pack is applied on-the-fly as soon
> as we know what language the user has selected?

At least the user wouldn't notice it, if casper would just DTRT
according to the selected locale. The main drawback that I see is that
it will take quite some RAM (magnitude of 40 MB for a well-translated
language) in the live system. The unpack time is certainly not a
biggie.

Martin

--
Martin Pitt                        | http://www.piware.de
Ubuntu Developer (www.ubuntu.com)  | Debian Developer  (www.debian.org)

--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel

signature.asc (853 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: shrinking the desktop DVD image to 1.5GB

Steve Langasek-6
On Thu, Jun 09, 2011 at 08:36:30PM +0200, Martin Pitt wrote:
> Steve Langasek [2011-06-09 10:49 -0700]:
> > Is there any reason that they have to be in the squashfs image to get that
> > effect?  I know that's how it's architected today, but would it actually be
> > a better experience to have a much smaller squashfs that needs to be
> > unpacked, to which the correct language pack is applied on-the-fly as soon
> > as we know what language the user has selected?

> At least the user wouldn't notice it, if casper would just DTRT
> according to the selected locale. The main drawback that I see is that
> it will take quite some RAM (magnitude of 40 MB for a well-translated
> language) in the live system. The unpack time is certainly not a
> biggie.

Is the RAM actually a problem in practice?  I probably don't understand the
squashfs / aufs architecture well enough; I assumed that the RAM
requirements for this were already quite high and that adding a langpack to
the overlay would have no major impact.

--
Steve Langasek                   Give me a lever long enough and a Free OS
Debian Developer                   to set it on, and I can move the world.
Ubuntu Developer                                    http://www.debian.org/
[hidden email]                                     [hidden email]

--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel

signature.asc (845 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: shrinking the desktop DVD image to 1.5GB

Steve Langasek-6
In reply to this post by Stéphane Graber-2
On Thu, Jun 09, 2011 at 02:00:50PM -0400, Stéphane Graber wrote:
> > Is there any reason that they have to be in the squashfs image to get that
> > effect?  I know that's how it's architected today, but would it actually be
> > a better experience to have a much smaller squashfs that needs to be
> > unpacked, to which the correct language pack is applied on-the-fly as soon
> > as we know what language the user has selected?

> > Is this worth exploring?

> It's actually how I planned to fix it for Edubuntu :)

Oh, well cool ;)

> The idea was to check if the user chose something else than English and
> if so prompt them in Xsession (while we can still change $LANG).
> They'd then have the choice to either install the langpack and get a
> translated live session (if they have enough RAM for that) or continue
> in English and only have ubiquity translated.

I wouldn't like this to result in any additional prompts; we should be able
to auto-install these for the user based on their language selection in
either the bootloader (in which case casper can do the setup), or in
ubiquity-dm.

> In all cases, ubiquity would grab the langpacks from the pool and
> install them.

I would presume that by the time ubiquity enters the picture, the packages
are already installed in the live environment, so it just needs to not
/remove/ them...

--
Steve Langasek                   Give me a lever long enough and a Free OS
Debian Developer                   to set it on, and I can move the world.
Ubuntu Developer                                    http://www.debian.org/
[hidden email]                                     [hidden email]

--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel

signature.asc (845 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: shrinking the desktop DVD image to 1.5GB

Stéphane Graber-2
On Thu, 2011-06-09 at 15:19 -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 09, 2011 at 02:00:50PM -0400, Stéphane Graber wrote:
> > > Is there any reason that they have to be in the squashfs image to get that
> > > effect?  I know that's how it's architected today, but would it actually be
> > > a better experience to have a much smaller squashfs that needs to be
> > > unpacked, to which the correct language pack is applied on-the-fly as soon
> > > as we know what language the user has selected?
>
> > > Is this worth exploring?
>
> > It's actually how I planned to fix it for Edubuntu :)
>
> Oh, well cool ;)
>
> > The idea was to check if the user chose something else than English and
> > if so prompt them in Xsession (while we can still change $LANG).
> > They'd then have the choice to either install the langpack and get a
> > translated live session (if they have enough RAM for that) or continue
> > in English and only have ubiquity translated.
>
> I wouldn't like this to result in any additional prompts; we should be able
> to auto-install these for the user based on their language selection in
> either the bootloader (in which case casper can do the setup), or in
> ubiquity-dm.
Yeah, I don't plan on prompting the user for their language again, the
prompt would be to give a chance for low-memory users to opt-out of the
additional memory usage.

As in my experience, it's really easy to trigger out-of-memory kills in
the live environment by installing just a few megs of packages.

> > In all cases, ubiquity would grab the langpacks from the pool and
> > install them.
>
> I would presume that by the time ubiquity enters the picture, the packages
> are already installed in the live environment, so it just needs to not
> /remove/ them...
>


--
Stéphane Graber
Ubuntu developer
http://www.ubuntu.com


--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel

signature.asc (853 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: shrinking the desktop DVD image to 1.5GB

Steve Langasek-6
On Thu, Jun 09, 2011 at 06:51:27PM -0400, Stéphane Graber wrote:
> > I wouldn't like this to result in any additional prompts; we should be able
> > to auto-install these for the user based on their language selection in
> > either the bootloader (in which case casper can do the setup), or in
> > ubiquity-dm.

> Yeah, I don't plan on prompting the user for their language again, the
> prompt would be to give a chance for low-memory users to opt-out of the
> additional memory usage.

> As in my experience, it's really easy to trigger out-of-memory kills in
> the live environment by installing just a few megs of packages.

Ah; that's not a very nice choice to present the user with then.  "Would you
like to run in a language you don't speak very well, or would you like an
OOM?"

:/

--
Steve Langasek                   Give me a lever long enough and a Free OS
Debian Developer                   to set it on, and I can move the world.
Ubuntu Developer                                    http://www.debian.org/
[hidden email]                                     [hidden email]

--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel

signature.asc (845 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: shrinking the desktop DVD image to 1.5GB

Stéphane Graber-2
On Thu, 2011-06-09 at 16:25 -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 09, 2011 at 06:51:27PM -0400, Stéphane Graber wrote:
> > > I wouldn't like this to result in any additional prompts; we should be able
> > > to auto-install these for the user based on their language selection in
> > > either the bootloader (in which case casper can do the setup), or in
> > > ubiquity-dm.
>
> > Yeah, I don't plan on prompting the user for their language again, the
> > prompt would be to give a chance for low-memory users to opt-out of the
> > additional memory usage.
>
> > As in my experience, it's really easy to trigger out-of-memory kills in
> > the live environment by installing just a few megs of packages.
>
> Ah; that's not a very nice choice to present the user with then.  "Would you
> like to run in a language you don't speak very well, or would you like an
> OOM?"
>
> :/
Indeed, not sure what we should do to avoid that.
A workaround would be to bump the minimal RAM requirement for install by
whatever the biggest langpack needs (50MB ?). Or alternatively, detect
that we won't have enough RAM and just not install the langpack in such
case.


--
Stéphane Graber
Ubuntu developer
http://www.ubuntu.com

--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel

signature.asc (853 bytes) Download Attachment
12