simple scan epson

Chris-3
All,

it seems simple scan isn't working in 18.04.1 LTS (Bionic Beaver)
anymore with Epson V10/100 Perfection. In the last LTS it was working
without any problems. Now, I'm using it in a virtual machine. Is this a
known issue? I've downloaded the deb-packages from EPSON. Simple Scan
says Contacting Scanner ...

- Chris

Re: simple scan epson

ubuntu-users mailing list
On Thu, 1 Nov 2018 13:27:47 +0100, [hidden email] wrote:
>Now, I'm using it in a virtual machine.

The hardware is not accessed by the guest directly, it's the host that
communicates to the hardware in the first place.

Re: simple scan epson

01 November 2018  at 13:27, [hidden email] wrote:
simple scan epson (at least in part)

I'll need to test as have same kit here

>it seems simple scan isn't working in 18.04.1 LTS (Bionic Beaver)
>anymore with Epson V10/100 Perfection. In the last LTS it was working
>without any problems. Now, I'm using it in a virtual machine. Is this a
>known issue? I've downloaded the deb-packages from EPSON. Simple Scan
>says Contacting Scanner ...

Re: simple scan epson

Brian-277
On Thu 01 Nov 2018 at 13:27:47 +0100, [hidden email] wrote:

> All,
>
> it seems simple scan isn't working in 18.04.1 LTS (Bionic Beaver)
> anymore with Epson V10/100 Perfection. In the last LTS it was working
> without any problems. Now, I'm using it in a virtual machine. Is this a
> known issue? I've downloaded the deb-packages from EPSON. Simple Scan
> says Contacting Scanner ...

We assume your device is USB-connected. What does

  sane-find-scanner

give?

--
Brian.

Re: simple scan epson

Chris-3
Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users wrote:
> The hardware is not accessed by the guest directly, it's the host that
> communicates to the hardware in the first place.

I'm forwarding the USB ports.

Re: simple scan epson

Chris-3
Grizzly via ubuntu-users wrote:
> I'll need to test as have same kit here

That would be interesting.

Re: simple scan epson

Chris-3
Brian wrote:
> We assume your device is USB-connected. What does
>
>   sane-find-scanner
>
> give?

It is USB connected. XSane is working fine, but I prefer Simple Scan.

- Chris

Re: simple scan epson

ubuntu-users mailing list
On Sat, 3 Nov 2018 07:03:14 +0100, [hidden email] wrote:
>Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users wrote:
>> The hardware is not accessed by the guest directly, it's the host
>> that communicates to the hardware in the first place.
>
>I'm forwarding the USB ports.

If a driver should be needed, it would still be the host that needs to
provide the driver. Btw. it doesn't harm to mention what VM you are
using and the host's operating system, since especially USB support is
fishy when using some (at least one) VM/s. If you should use
VirtualBox, I wouldn't be surprised if you run into an USB issue, even
if it shouldn't be a driver issue.

A lot of VirtualBox USB users now will disagree, since a lot of USB
gear works without issues via a VirtualBox USB bridge. Indeed, the
VirtualBox's bridge works for most of the gear I'm using, too, but it
has several weak points. One of the weak points I've got on hand, if a
device should disconnect and reconnect to the host for what ever reason,
the bridge to the host needs to be manually reconnected, the bridge
isn't automatically established. This happens, if you e.g. update the
operating system of a connected USB device via an app, running on the
guest.

On Sat, 3 Nov 2018 07:04:58 +0100, [hidden email] wrote:
>Brian wrote:
>> We assume your device is USB-connected. What does
>>
>>   sane-find-scanner
>>
>> give?
>
>It is USB connected. XSane is working fine, but I prefer Simple Scan.

Again, USB of at least VirtualBox is tricky. It might work with some
software, but could fail when using other software. It's said that such
issues don't happen, when using a kernel-based virtualization.

Re: simple scan epson

ubuntu-users mailing list
On Sat, 3 Nov 2018 08:51:29 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>One of the weak points I've got on hand, if a
>device should disconnect and reconnect to the host for what ever
>reason, the bridge to the host needs to be manually reconnected, the
                           ^^^^ a bit ambiguous...
...this should read: the bridge between the host and the guest ;)

On Sat, 3 Nov 2018 07:04:09 +0100, [hidden email] wrote:
>Grizzly via ubuntu-users wrote:
>> I'll need to test as have same kit here
>
>That would be interesting.

What is the definition of the "same kit"?

Is it just the same scanner and the same Ubuntu guest release? What
about the used virtual machine and the host's operating system?

Re: simple scan epson

ubuntu-users mailing list
03 November 2018  at 9:14, Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users wrote:
Re: simple scan epson (at least in part)

>On Sat, 3 Nov 2018 07:04:09 +0100, [hidden email] wrote:
>>Grizzly via ubuntu-users wrote:
>>> I'll need to test as have same kit here
>>
>>That would be interesting.

>What is the definition of the "same kit"?

>Is it just the same scanner and the same Ubuntu guest release? What
>about the used virtual machine and the host's operating system?

Same Epson scanner and 18.04.1, the machine will be different

Re: simple scan epson

ubuntu-users mailing list
On Sat, 03 Nov 2018 08:44:40 -0000, Grizzly via ubuntu-users wrote:

>03 November 2018  at 9:14, Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users wrote:
>Re: simple scan epson (at least in part)

>>>That would be interesting.
>
>>What is the definition of the "same kit"?
>
>>Is it just the same scanner and the same Ubuntu guest release? What
>>about the used virtual machine and the host's operating system?
>
>Same Epson scanner and 18.04.1, the machine will be different

IMO the OP should use an Ubuntu flavour 18.04.1 live DVD, run

sudo apt update
sudo apt full-upgarde

and assuming the OP does use a flavour that doesn't ship with it by
default, regarding a German Ubuntu Wiki this is Kubuntu only, also run

sudo apt install simple-scan

and test if it works that way, without another host operating system
and virtual machine involved.

If this shouldn't work, too, the OP should consider to take a look at
log files, that were generated when the live DVD setup failed.