snap umake?

Thufir Hawat
I'd never heard of snap until today.  it's a sort light package manager?

I was considering:

thufir@dur:~$
thufir@dur:~$ snap install ubuntu-make
error: This revision of snap "ubuntu-make" was published using classic
confinement and thus
       may perform arbitrary system changes outside of the security
sandbox that snaps are
       usually confined to, which may put your system at risk.

       If you understand and want to proceed repeat the command including
--classic.
thufir@dur:~$
thufir@dur:~$ umake --version
16.11.1
thufir@dur:~$
thufir@dur:~$ cat /etc/lsb-release
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=17.10
DISTRIB_CODENAME=artful
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 17.10"
thufir@dur:~$

because I saw them use snap here:

https://github.com/ubuntu/ubuntu-make/issues/474

and thought that might fix an android studio install.  Would snap cause
problems if there's umake v16.11.1 and also "classic"?

thanks,

Thufir

Re: snap umake?

Oliver Grawert
hi,
Am Donnerstag, den 26.10.2017, 14:22 +0000 schrieb thufir:

> I'd never heard of snap until today.  it's a sort light package
> manager?
>

> I was considering:
>
> thufir@dur:~$
> thufir@dur:~$ snap install ubuntu-make
> error: This revision of snap "ubuntu-make" was published using
> classic
> confinement and thus
>        may perform arbitrary system changes outside of the security
> sandbox that snaps are
>        usually confined to, which may put your system at risk.
>
>        If you understand and want to proceed repeat the command
> including
> --classic.
> thufir@dur:~$
> thufir@dur:~$ umake --version
> 16.11.1
> thufir@dur:~$
> thufir@dur:~$ cat /etc/lsb-release
> DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
> DISTRIB_RELEASE=17.10
> DISTRIB_CODENAME=artful
> DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 17.10"
> thufir@dur:~$
>

> because I saw them use snap here:
>

> https://github.com/ubuntu/ubuntu-make/issues/474
>

> and thought that might fix an android studio install.  Would snap
> cause
> problems if there's umake v16.11.1 and also "classic"?

nope ... you can install debs and snaps next to each other ... note
though that /snap/bin is appended to the PATH variable by default (not
prefixed) so when running umake without full path it will default to
the deb version ...

(also, snap questions are best asked at http://forum.snapcraft.io/ )

ciao
        oli

Re: snap umake?

On 26 October 2017 at 16:22, thufir <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'd never heard of snap until today.  it's a sort light package manager?

No.

There's a new thing happening in Linux recently: containerised apps in
distr-neutral distribution formats.

Containers as in Docker, LXC, Ubuntu's LXD, etc.

Red Hat's format is Flatpak:

http://flatpak.org/faq.html

Ubuntu's is Snappy:

https://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/snappy

A 3rd party one is AppImage:

https://appimage.org/

There may be a mini war and one winner, or they all might persist.

But since mainline Ubuntu has switched to GNOME, and Flatpak is the
GNOME format, it does put Ubuntu in a difficult position...

Re: snap umake?

Ralf Mardorf-2
On Thu, 26 Oct 2017 17:21:41 +0200, Liam Proven wrote:
>> I'd never heard of snap until today.  it's a sort light package
>> manager?
>
>No.
>
>There's a new thing happening in Linux recently: containerised apps in
>distr-neutral distribution formats.

Loosely speaking

Advantage

To install to opt/ if an app requires a lib that would conflict with
the shared lib of a distro requires a statically link, that isn't
required by a container alike packaging system.

Disadvantage

The containers might install multiple versions of the same software,
if they don't share it, so this does cause much more storage and more
trusted maintainers maintaining security updates for many versions.

Advantage

The container approach might add some layer of security.

Disadvantage

Try to make a pro-audio sound server like jackd available to apps that
require jackd, provided by other of those packages. At best it works,
if you drop the extra security layer, if at all.

Debian is upstream for Ubuntu packages until now, but since SID is
a rolling development version of Debian, the container approach won't
fit good to Debian. Don't expect that real rolling releases like Arch
would support snaps, it was discussed a better alternative to it, but
even this was damned.

Learn how to build a regular Debian/Ubuntu package and a Snap thingy
and report back what requires less effort, then take an educated guess
how many developers from upstream (not Ubuntu's "upstream", I'm talking
about distro independent "real" upstream, software developers) are
willing to provide a Snap thingy and/or one of the several
alternatives, especially if they already provide DEBs, RPMs and even
tar balls you directly could copy to opt/.

IMO it's just a fashion that desktop computers try to adapt allegedly
advantages of current smart phone and tablet PC fashions. For a lot of
usages BSD and Linux provide real advantages, that get lost by this
fashion.

There is only one company that provides very good systems following the
fashions, this company does enforce usage of hardware and makes
computers very expensive. They follow a hardcore restriction policy and
stop support for their expensive products, a few years after they were
sold.

Re: snap umake?

Oliver Grawert
hi,
Am Donnerstag, den 26.10.2017, 18:59 +0200 schrieb Ralf Mardorf:

> Try to make a pro-audio sound server like jackd available to apps
> that
> require jackd, provided by other of those packages. At best it works,
> if you drop the extra security layer, if at all.

this works fine via the content interface since quite a while ...

just like all snapped gnome apps use the gnome-3-26-1604 to access the
gnome libs currently (there will be also -1710 versions or -1804 or
even -git-master versions soon so you can try out all available
versions of an app regardless of which your underlying distro release
is), the kde snaps use kde-frameworks-5, the libreoffice snap using the
interface provided by the cups server snap etc etc ...

a jackd snap would simply provide a jackd content interface (versioned
if you like or if jackd needs it) all other snaps can consume ...

i remember you have been trying snaps when it was really early ... the
world changed quite a bit since, with snapcraft doing most of the
packaging work for you in one command, a direct hook of build-
snapcraft.io into upstream trees on github and with a lot of new
interfaces and features in snapd ...

you shouldnt judge software in rolling development by a look you took
at it 1.5y ago ;)

ciao
        oli

Re: snap umake?

Thufir Hawat
On Thu, 26 Oct 2017 18:59:22 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> IMO it's just a fashion that desktop computers try to adapt allegedly
> advantages of current smart phone and tablet PC fashions. For a lot of
> usages BSD and Linux provide real advantages, that get lost by this
> fashion.

It's the suggested way to install umake, I suppose, to fit in with
containers.  (Or, at least, install android studio from umake.)

As a user who switched from yum based distro to apt, it seems half-dozen-
of-one to six of another -- now, if snap/whatever would supersede both,
that'd eliminate some duplication of maintenance.  The technical merits I
leave to others.

-Thufir