snapd

Richard Kimber
Periodically snapd seems to hammer my SSD drive for very long periods.
Killall snapd solves this for a while without any apparent effect on the
rest of my system, but it comes back eventually.

Is it OK to remove snapd altogether? Would I lose any important
functionality?

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber

Re: snapd

ubuntu-users mailing list
On Mon, 3 Jun 2019 12:01:50 +0100, Richard Kimber wrote:
>Is it OK to remove snapd altogether? Would I lose any important
>functionality?

Assuming you are using snappy, then perhaps disabling or enabling socket
activation for snappy daemon on demand does solve the issue.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Snap#Configuration

If you aren't using this snap thingy at all, you wouldn't lose anything
by removing it.

Re: snapd

ubuntu-users mailing list
On Mon, 3 Jun 2019 13:59:25 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>On Mon, 3 Jun 2019 12:01:50 +0100, Richard Kimber wrote:
>>Is it OK to remove snapd altogether? Would I lose any important
>>functionality?
>
>Assuming you are using snappy, then perhaps disabling or enabling
>socket activation for snappy daemon on demand does solve the issue.

The systemd terms pitfall rear its ugly head again. You could 'stop'
and 'start' it on demand, this is what I wanted to point out,
'enabling'/'disabling' is related to the startup, here you probably
want to 'disable' it.

Re: snapd

Richard Kimber
On Mon, 3 Jun 2019 13:59:25 +0200
Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If you aren't using this snap thingy at all, you wouldn't lose
> anything by removing it.

Thanks for your reply. I'm not aware of using it, but I guess something
must be.  Anyway, it's been going virtually all day, on and off, so
I've removed it until I've got the time to explore how it works and find
the optimum solution.

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber

Re: snapd

Colin Watson
On Mon, Jun 03, 2019 at 04:24:54PM +0100, Richard Kimber wrote:
> Thanks for your reply. I'm not aware of using it, but I guess something
> must be.  Anyway, it's been going virtually all day, on and off, so
> I've removed it until I've got the time to explore how it works and find
> the optimum solution.

Do file a bug with as much detail as you have if at all possible (start
with "ubuntu-bug snapd" if you still have the package installed, or
failing that
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/snapd/+filebug?no-redirect but make
sure to at least include basic things like relevant package versions).
This sounds like the sort of thing that the snapd team would want to
fix.

Re: snapd

Oliver Grawert
hi,
Am Montag, den 03.06.2019, 12:01 +0100 schrieb Richard Kimber:
> Periodically snapd seems to hammer my SSD drive for very long
> periods.
> Killall snapd solves this for a while without any apparent effect on
> the
> rest of my system, but it comes back eventually.
>
> Is it OK to remove snapd altogether? Would I lose any important
> functionality?

beyond of what colin said (please file a bug, snapd is a core part of
every ubuntu install nowadays so fixing any issues like this is
important), if you want to know if you have any snap packages installed
(snap applications come in rather transparently from the software
center nowadays) you can use:

snap list

to see recent operations that snapd did use:

snap changes

(if you want any details, pick the ID of a change from that list and
use "snap tasks <ID>")

and to know what version you run (helpful also for the bug data)

snap version

while it might be ok to disable the snapd socket on arch linux (like
ralf suggested), it might not be ok to do that on ubuntu (other
packages might expect it to work if they find snapd installed or
whatnot). so i'd not play with that to not potentially cause other
peripherial issues ... and indeed you can uninstall snapd if you do not
use it or plan to ever use it (note that purging snapd will also remove
all installed snaps *and their data*).

ciao
        oli

Re: snapd

Richard Kimber
On Tue, 4 Jun 2019 00:43:09 +0100
Colin Watson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 03, 2019 at 04:24:54PM +0100, Richard Kimber wrote:
> > Thanks for your reply. I'm not aware of using it, but I guess
> > something must be.  Anyway, it's been going virtually all day, on
> > and off, so I've removed it until I've got the time to explore how
> > it works and find the optimum solution.
>
> Do file a bug with as much detail as you have if at all possible
> (start with "ubuntu-bug snapd" if you still have the package
> installed, or failing that
> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/snapd/+filebug?no-redirect but
> make sure to at least include basic things like relevant package
> versions). This sounds like the sort of thing that the snapd team
> would want to fix.

Thanks.  I've re-installed snapd and submitted a bug.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/snapd/+bug/1831629

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber

Re: snapd

Richard Kimber
On Tue, 04 Jun 2019 10:06:51 +0200
Oliver Grawert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> snap changes

Thanks. I've re-installed it and it seems to be related to pulsemixer:-

ID   Status  Spawn                     Ready  Summary
29   Doing   2 days ago, at 17:48 BST  -      Auto-refresh snap
"pulsemixer"

Maybe uninstalling pulsemixer would be a better option pro tem.

- Richard
--
Richard Kimber

Re: snapd

Richard Kimber
On Tue, 4 Jun 2019 15:13:35 +0100
Richard Kimber <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ID   Status  Spawn                     Ready  Summary
> 29   Doing   2 days ago, at 17:48 BST  -      Auto-refresh snap
> "pulsemixer"
>
> Maybe uninstalling pulsemixer would be a better option pro tem.

Hmmn. I can't see how to do that.

"snap abort 29" stops the process, but "snap remove pulsemixer" gives

error: snap "pulsemixer" has "auto-refresh" change in progress

- Richard
--
Richard Kimber

Re: snapd

Oliver Grawert
hi,
Am Dienstag, den 04.06.2019, 16:01 +0100 schrieb Richard Kimber:

> On Tue, 4 Jun 2019 15:13:35 +0100
> Richard Kimber <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> > ID   Status  Spawn                     Ready  Summary
> > 29   Doing   2 days ago, at 17:48 BST  -      Auto-refresh snap
> > "pulsemixer"
> >
> > Maybe uninstalling pulsemixer would be a better option pro tem.
> Hmmn. I can't see how to do that.
>
> "snap abort 29" stops the process, but "snap remove pulsemixer" gives
>
> error: snap "pulsemixer" has "auto-refresh" change in progress

snap commands are processed asynchronous ... just give it a moment
before issuing the snap remove command, teh abort might still have been
running while you tried the removal (you can also re-check the status
with snap changes again)

ciao
        oli

Re: snapd

Richard Kimber
On Tue, 04 Jun 2019 19:55:04 +0200
Oliver Grawert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> snap commands are processed asynchronous ... just give it a moment
> before issuing the snap remove command, teh abort might still have
> been running while you tried the removal (you can also re-check the
> status with snap changes again)

I've tried the removal several hours later, but still get the same
message.

- Richard
--
Richard Kimber