.snp wtf!

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

.snp wtf!

neil woolford
One of my brother's suppliers has just sent him a quote as an email
attachment in .snp format.  That is Microsoft Access Snapshot format, a
'special' way of doing something that shouldn't be done a 'special'
way...

I've opened it on a windows system (after installing the .snp viewer).
This doesn't allow me to save the document in any format at all, so I
had to print it and then send him a scan!

Are there any ways of opening these pernicious files on a Linux system?

Neil

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

signature.asc (196 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: .snp wtf!

Sarangan Thuraisingham / துரைசிங்கம் சாரங்கன்
neil woolford wrote:
> One of my brother's suppliers has just sent him a quote as an email
> attachment in .snp format.  That is Microsoft Access Snapshot format, a
> 'special' way of doing something that shouldn't be done a 'special'
> way...
>
[...]
>
> Are there any ways of opening these pernicious files on a Linux system?
>
> Neil
>

You could ask the supplier to send the file as a PDF. The latest
versions of Microsoft Office Suite allows exporting to PDF.
--
Regards,
  - Saru
------------------------------------
Sarangan Thuraisingham
ECS, University of Southampton, UK

    Tux is the Best
   Next is the Rest
-----------------------------------

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: .snp wtf!

Christian Eichert-2
In reply to this post by neil woolford
neil woolford wrote:

> attachment in .snp format.  That is Microsoft Access Snapshot format,

isn't OpenOffice.org2 module "Base" able to open it ?
it should

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: .snp wtf!

Carlton Noles
In reply to this post by Sarangan Thuraisingham / துரைசிங்கம் சாரங்கன்
PDF another "'special' way of doing something that shouldn't be done a 'special' way"

Just sayin.

On 11/21/05, Sarangan Thuraisingham <[hidden email]> wrote:
neil woolford wrote:
> One of my brother's suppliers has just sent him a quote as an email
> attachment in .snp format.  That is Microsoft Access Snapshot format, a
> 'special' way of doing something that shouldn't be done a 'special'
> way...
>
[...]
>
> Are there any ways of opening these pernicious files on a Linux system?
>
> Neil
>

You could ask the supplier to send the file as a PDF. The latest
versions of Microsoft Office Suite allows exporting to PDF.
--
Regards,
  - Saru
------------------------------------
Sarangan Thuraisingham
ECS, University of Southampton, UK

    Tux is the Best
   Next is the Rest
-----------------------------------

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users



--
Carlton "Kermit" Noles
==================
Qui tacet consentit---"he who remains silent consents"
==================
Want your own GMail Account?
Ask Me for an invite.
--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: .snp wtf!

Tony Ayre
Why is it a 'special' way of doing something. Every file can be saved
as a txt file - if you don't need graphics. But the computer world has
moved past that and now we are looking for files that can be read by
everyone AND keep the formatting and style that is wanted by the
sender. The pdf is a very useful filetype in that it is now pretty
standard across the board.

Localzuk


On 21/11/05, Carlton Noles <[hidden email]> wrote:

> PDF another "'special' way of doing something that shouldn't be done a
> 'special' way"
>
>  Just sayin.
>
>
> On 11/21/05, Sarangan Thuraisingham
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > neil woolford wrote:
> > > One of my brother's suppliers has just sent him a quote as an email
> > > attachment in .snp format.  That is Microsoft Access Snapshot format, a
> > > 'special' way of doing something that shouldn't be done a 'special'
> > > way...
> > >
> > [...]
> > >
> > > Are there any ways of opening these pernicious files on a Linux system?
> > >
> > > Neil
> > >
> >
> > You could ask the supplier to send the file as a PDF. The latest
> > versions of Microsoft Office Suite allows exporting to PDF.
> > --
> > Regards,
> >   - Saru
> > ------------------------------------
> > Sarangan Thuraisingham
> > ECS, University of Southampton, UK
> >
> >     Tux is the Best
> >    Next is the Rest
> > -----------------------------------
> >
> > --
> > ubuntu-users mailing list
> > [hidden email]
> > http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
> >
>
>
>
> --
> Carlton "Kermit" Noles
> ==================
> Qui tacet consentit---"he who remains silent consents"
> ==================
> Want your own GMail Account?
> Ask Me for an invite.
> --
> ubuntu-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
>
>
>


--
--
Tony Ayre
[hidden email]
--
Localz, 40 Pinfold Lane, Skerton, Lancaster, Lancashire. UK. LA1 2BJ
Phone: 01524 311191
Web: http://www.localz.co.uk/

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: .snp wtf!

katsklaw
In reply to this post by Carlton Noles
PDF may be "special" to some extent, however there are free PDF readers for
every OS, unlike some Microsoft formats.

kat

On Monday 21 November 2005 10:22, Carlton Noles wrote:

> PDF another "'special' way of doing something that shouldn't be done a
> 'special' way"
>
> Just sayin.
>
> On 11/21/05, Sarangan Thuraisingham <[hidden email]>
>
> wrote:
> > neil woolford wrote:
> > > One of my brother's suppliers has just sent him a quote as an email
> > > attachment in .snp format. That is Microsoft Access Snapshot format, a
> > > 'special' way of doing something that shouldn't be done a 'special'
> > > way...
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > > Are there any ways of opening these pernicious files on a Linux system?
> > >
> > > Neil
> >
> > You could ask the supplier to send the file as a PDF. The latest
> > versions of Microsoft Office Suite allows exporting to PDF.
> > --
> > Regards,
> > - Saru
> > ------------------------------------
> > Sarangan Thuraisingham
> > ECS, University of Southampton, UK
> >
> > Tux is the Best
> > Next is the Rest
> > -----------------------------------
> >
> > --
> > ubuntu-users mailing list
> > [hidden email]
> > http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
>
> --
> Carlton "Kermit" Noles
> ==================
> Qui tacet consentit---"he who remains silent consents"
> ==================
> Want your own GMail Account?
> Ask Me for an invite.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: .snp wtf!

Carlton Noles
Don't misunderstand MS bites and is not as readily available. My experience has been that more often than not  people are WAY to proud of their formatting.Ii am just saying don't send the extra baggage if it isn't necessary. If text is enough use text. If the format is absolutely essential to the information then use pdf or what ever you wish. I have seen way to many messages in PDF where the only thing that mattered to anyone other than the sender was the information. In such cases PDF (or DOC or SNP or XLS) files are unnecessary and a nuisance. I realise that with modern computing technology and bandwith we can send each other incredibly over formatted documents and it really won't be too much of a drain on resources, However just because we can doesn't mean we should.

But the computer world has moved past that and now we are looking for files that can be read by everyone AND keep the formatting and style that is wanted by thesender.

BTW if the sender insists on sending me their latest personal life news layed out like the Sunday new york times they will find their email being deleted more often than read at this end.

On 11/21/05, katsklaw <[hidden email]> wrote:
PDF may be "special" to some extent, however there are free PDF readers for
every OS, unlike some Microsoft formats.

kat

On Monday 21 November 2005 10:22, Carlton Noles wrote:

> PDF another "'special' way of doing something that shouldn't be done a
> 'special' way"
>
> Just sayin.
>
> On 11/21/05, Sarangan Thuraisingham <[hidden email]>
>
> wrote:
> > neil woolford wrote:
> > > One of my brother's suppliers has just sent him a quote as an email
> > > attachment in .snp format. That is Microsoft Access Snapshot format, a
> > > 'special' way of doing something that shouldn't be done a 'special'
> > > way...
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > > Are there any ways of opening these pernicious files on a Linux system?
> > >
> > > Neil
> >
> > You could ask the supplier to send the file as a PDF. The latest
> > versions of Microsoft Office Suite allows exporting to PDF.
> > --
> > Regards,
> > - Saru
> > ------------------------------------
> > Sarangan Thuraisingham
> > ECS, University of Southampton, UK

> >
> > Tux is the Best
> > Next is the Rest
> > -----------------------------------
> >
> > --
> > ubuntu-users mailing list
> > [hidden email]
> > http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
>
> --
> Carlton "Kermit" Noles
> ==================
> Qui tacet consentit---"he who remains silent consents"
> ==================
> Want your own GMail Account?
> Ask Me for an invite.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users



--
Carlton "Kermit" Noles
==================
Qui tacet consentit---"he who remains silent consents"
==================
Want your own GMail Account?
Ask Me for an invite.
--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: .snp wtf!

Tony Ayre

On 21 Nov 2005, at 18:43, Carlton Noles wrote:

> Don't misunderstand MS bites and is not as readily available. My  
> experience has been that more often than not  people are WAY to  
> proud of their formatting.Ii am just saying don't send the extra  
> baggage if it isn't necessary. If text is enough use text. If the  
> format is absolutely essential to the information then use pdf or  
> what ever you wish. I have seen way to many messages in PDF where  
> the only thing that mattered to anyone other than the sender was  
> the information. In such cases PDF (or DOC or SNP or XLS) files are  
> unnecessary and a nuisance. I realise that with modern computing  
> technology and bandwith we can send each other incredibly over  
> formatted documents and it really won't be too much of a drain on  
> resources, However just because we can doesn't mean we should.
>
> But the computer world has moved past that and now we are looking  
> for files that can be read by everyone AND keep the formatting and  
> style that is wanted by thesender.
>
> BTW if the sender insists on sending me their latest personal life  
> news layed out like the Sunday new york times they will find their  
> email being deleted more often than read at this end.

I was referring to the original email. The company was sending a  
quote. As such, I would expect them to include a certain amount of  
branding. This is important to the business world. It is a form of  
advertising. I send most information in either text format (person  
stuff and normal business email correspondence) and in pdf (bills,  
quotes etc...). If i didn't do this then I feel that my brand would  
lose some custom due to not being a strong brand within my market.

I agree that files should be sent in a format that is readable by  
more than windows/office users (and as such should not be sent  
in .doc, .xls or indeed any format that is specific to a certain  
software), it should be sent in files such as pdf, rtf etc...

In this context, it is highly unlikely that a company would change  
its business practices and send only text files.

Localzuk

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: .snp wtf!

Derek Broughton-2
In reply to this post by Carlton Noles
Carlton Noles wrote:

> Don't misunderstand MS bites and is not as readily available. My
> experience has been that more often than not people are WAY to proud of
> their formatting. I am just saying don't send the extra baggage if it
> isn't necessary.

Not only that, but .snp isn't even usable on most older Windows systems -
and you would _have_ to have Office even on XP systems.  I wouldn't even
attempt to open something like that, I'd tell the sender to format it in
some reasonably useful way.

> If text is enough use text.

Yeah, preferably that.

> If the format is absolutely  
> essential to the information then use pdf or what ever you wish. I have
> seen way to many messages in PDF where the only thing that mattered to
> anyone other than the sender was the information. In such cases PDF (or
> DOC or SNP or XLS)

Agreed.  I used to rail against PDF but I've pretty much come to accept it,
but there's still no reason to use it where formatting is irrelevant.  I
wouldn't send XLS files even between MS shops if all they needed were the
numbers - I'd send CSVs.  I _do_ send DOCs, to my shame :-)

> But the computer world has moved past that and now we are looking for
> files that can be read by everyone AND keep the formatting and style that
> is wanted by thesender.

only if MS decides to support Open Document Format.
--
derek


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: .snp wtf!

neil woolford
In reply to this post by Sarangan Thuraisingham / துரைசிங்கம் சாரங்கன்
On Mon, 2005-11-21 at 15:04 +0000, Sarangan Thuraisingham wrote:
> neil woolford wrote:
> > One of my brother's suppliers has just sent him a quote as an email
> > attachment in .snp format.  That is Microsoft Access Snapshot format, a
> > 'special' way of doing something that shouldn't be done a 'special'
> > way...
> >
> [...]
> >
> > Are there any ways of opening these pernicious files on a Linux system?

>
> You could ask the supplier to send the file as a PDF. The latest
> versions of Microsoft Office Suite allows exporting to PDF.

Yes.  A good idea.  It was a price quote, so there *is* a good
commercial argument for using a format that can't easily be 'doctored'
by an unscrupulous recipient (e.g. to show to other suppliers to obtain
lower quotes);  but something that weird, when PDF does indeed serve the
purpose...

Neil

Who used to work at Soton University;  I had a flat just around the
corner in Furzedown Road.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

signature.asc (196 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: .snp wtf!

neil woolford
In reply to this post by Christian Eichert-2
On Mon, 2005-11-21 at 16:19 +0100, Christian Eichert wrote:
> neil woolford wrote:
>
> > attachment in .snp format.  That is Microsoft Access Snapshot format,
>
> isn't OpenOffice.org2 module "Base" able to open it ?
> it should

I thought that too, and did try;  it just opened as nonsense in
'Writer'.  It does appear to be some kind of mini-report rather than an
actual extract from the database.  When I opened it it essentially
looked like a brief database report embedded in a word-processed
letterhead document.

Neil

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

signature.asc (196 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: .snp wtf!

Carlton Noles
In reply to this post by Derek Broughton-2
An snp file is a mini report and requires either office or the snp viewer from M$. Arthur Andersen (there's a name you can trust) used to use them when I worked there. It first became available with office 98 or 2k. It was a way to send the report without sending the entire database or remote printing for a 50+ page weekly report. it sucked but was better than remote printing to a community printer a half dozen times (due to lost misplaced pages) and the boss would not let me print directly to his printer. AA was a bis Notes/MS SQL shop.and ALL computers had a standard configuration (in theory anyway).

On 11/21/05, Derek Broughton <[hidden email] > wrote:
Carlton Noles wrote:

> Don't misunderstand MS bites and is not as readily available. My
> experience has been that more often than not people are WAY to proud of
> their formatting. I am just saying don't send the extra baggage if it
> isn't necessary.

Not only that, but .snp isn't even usable on most older Windows systems -
and you would _have_ to have Office even on XP systems.  I wouldn't even
attempt to open something like that, I'd tell the sender to format it in
some reasonably useful way.

> If text is enough use text.

Yeah, preferably that.

> If the format is absolutely
> essential to the information then use pdf or what ever you wish. I have
> seen way to many messages in PDF where the only thing that mattered to
> anyone other than the sender was the information. In such cases PDF (or
> DOC or SNP or XLS)

Agreed.  I used to rail against PDF but I've pretty much come to accept it,
but there's still no reason to use it where formatting is irrelevant.  I
wouldn't send XLS files even between MS shops if all they needed were the
numbers - I'd send CSVs.  I _do_ send DOCs, to my shame :-)

> But the computer world has moved past that and now we are looking for
> files that can be read by everyone AND keep the formatting and style that
> is wanted by thesender.

only if MS decides to support Open Document Format.
--
derek


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users



--
Carlton "Kermit" Noles
==================
Qui tacet consentit---"he who remains silent consents"
==================
Want your own GMail Account?
Ask Me for an invite.
--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users