(solved) KDE root programs' fonts very small

(solved) KDE root programs' fonts very small

Volker Wysk
Hi!

I've had the problem, that graphical programs (or program parts), which run as root, had a very small font size - such as systemsettings5 or muon's settings->configure software sources window.

I've investigated it, and I found that the following has to be added to /etc/environment:

XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=KDE

That is, the XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP environment variable needs to be set to "KDE". But this doesn't work when set in ~/.bashrc, ~/.proile or /etc/profile. Looks like these scripts aren't called by kdesudo. Instead, it works when the mentionend line is included in /etc/environment (not a script).

Bye
Volker

Re: (solved) KDE root programs' fonts very small

Bill Vance

Using 16.04, I've been having the tiny font problem, too.
The, "kdesudo systemsettings5", trick helped get firefox
reasonably workable, but didn't seem to do anything for
synaptic, (or anything else apperantly).  I tried the
/etc/environment variable you mention below, but that
didn't seem to do anything at all.  What am I missing
here?

Bill

Am Freitag, 23. Februar 2018, 09:36:08 CET schrieb Bill Vance:

> Using 16.04, I've been having the tiny font problem, too.
> The, "kdesudo systemsettings5", trick helped get firefox
> reasonably workable, but didn't seem to do anything for
> synaptic, (or anything else apperantly).

Synaptic is a GTK program. It's font settings are in systemsettings5->application style->GNOME application style.

> I tried the
> /etc/environment variable you mention below, but that
> didn't seem to do anything at all.

You also need to configure the KDE fonts to be bigger. That's in systemsettings5->Font->Fonts.

Good luck! :-)
Volker

Re: (solved) KDE root programs' fonts very small

Bill Vance

That worked, thanks!

Bill