staging/wlan-ng firmware blob

Karl Relton
Dear friends

With the advent of 2.6.31 into Karmic, please be advised that the
staging/wlan-ng driver (module prism2_usb.ko) used for prism2_usb cards
can now load the card firmware blob direct from /lib/firmware using the
normal kernel firmware mechanism (previously it required a special
userspace program to squirt the firmware at it).

The driver will load prism2_ru.hex if present in /lib/firmware.

Therefore can we upgrade the Ubuntu linux-firmware package to include
this file?

The file can be obtained from the source of linux-wlan-ng-firmware - the
file required is ru010803.hex, and it should be renamed to prism2_ru.hex
for installation in /lib/firmware.

Note - doing this will render the linux-wlan-ng-firmware package
redundant for prism2_usb cards (though the package does have other
firmware blobs for non-usb cards).

Regards
Karl

Re: staging/wlan-ng firmware blob

Luis R. Rodriguez
On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 11:49 AM, Karl
Relton<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear friends
>
> With the advent of 2.6.31 into Karmic, please be advised that the
> staging/wlan-ng driver (module prism2_usb.ko) used for prism2_usb cards
> can now load the card firmware blob direct from /lib/firmware using the
> normal kernel firmware mechanism (previously it required a special
> userspace program to squirt the firmware at it).
>
> The driver will load prism2_ru.hex if present in /lib/firmware.
>
> Therefore can we upgrade the Ubuntu linux-firmware package to include
> this file?

Patches to the linux-firmware should be sent to David Woodhouse. Since
this is upstream drivers/staging it should be welcomed.

The next question is the license of the firmware. Who is giving you
rights to redistribute it and so on? Its preferred that the authors of
the firmware from the company involved send the patch themselves but
not required.

> The file can be obtained from the source of linux-wlan-ng-firmware - the
> file required is ru010803.hex, and it should be renamed to prism2_ru.hex
> for installation in /lib/firmware.

Under what license?

> Note - doing this will render the linux-wlan-ng-firmware package
> redundant for prism2_usb cards (though the package does have other
> firmware blobs for non-usb cards).

Those packages should die then.

  Luis

On Mon, 2009-06-29 at 16:15 -0700, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 11:49 AM, Karl
> Relton<[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Dear friends
> >
> > With the advent of 2.6.31 into Karmic, please be advised that the
> > staging/wlan-ng driver (module prism2_usb.ko) used for prism2_usb cards
> > can now load the card firmware blob direct from /lib/firmware using the
> > normal kernel firmware mechanism (previously it required a special
> > userspace program to squirt the firmware at it).
> >
> > The driver will load prism2_ru.hex if present in /lib/firmware.
> >
> > Therefore can we upgrade the Ubuntu linux-firmware package to include
> > this file?
>
> Patches to the linux-firmware should be sent to David Woodhouse. Since
> this is upstream drivers/staging it should be welcomed.

Yes indeed. I have emailed David a couple of times over the past few
weeks, but haven't had any response at all. I wondered if there was a
policy against firmware for old wireless cards.

> The next question is the license of the firmware. Who is giving you
> rights to redistribute it and so on? Its preferred that the authors of
> the firmware from the company involved send the patch themselves but
> not required.

I had already made some enquires to the maintainers of the linux-wlan-ng
project who include the firmware in their tarball (which forms the
source of the Ubuntu linux-wlan-ng* packages). They checked their
paper-trail as much as they could - the trail is complicated because the
originating company has changed hands so many times. As far as they
could tell the last owners were Conexant who freely distributed this
firmware. I put words to this effect in the WHENCE file to David
Woodhouse, with a signed-off-by from the guy at linux-wlan-ng project.

> > The file can be obtained from the source of linux-wlan-ng-firmware - the
> > file required is ru010803.hex, and it should be renamed to prism2_ru.hex
> > for installation in /lib/firmware.
>
> Under what license?

Please see README.firmware in the linux-wlan-ng-firmware source tarball.

> > Note - doing this will render the linux-wlan-ng-firmware package
> > redundant for prism2_usb cards (though the package does have other
> > firmware blobs for non-usb cards).
>
> Those packages should die then.
>
>   Luis

Re: staging/wlan-ng firmware blob

Luis R. Rodriguez
On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 5:56 AM, Karl
Relton<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, 2009-06-29 at 16:15 -0700, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
>> On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 11:49 AM, Karl
>> Relton<[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Dear friends
>> >
>> > With the advent of 2.6.31 into Karmic, please be advised that the
>> > staging/wlan-ng driver (module prism2_usb.ko) used for prism2_usb cards
>> > can now load the card firmware blob direct from /lib/firmware using the
>> > normal kernel firmware mechanism (previously it required a special
>> > userspace program to squirt the firmware at it).
>> >
>> > The driver will load prism2_ru.hex if present in /lib/firmware.
>> >
>> > Therefore can we upgrade the Ubuntu linux-firmware package to include
>> > this file?
>>
>> Patches to the linux-firmware should be sent to David Woodhouse. Since
>> this is upstream drivers/staging it should be welcomed.
>>

> Yes indeed. I have emailed David a couple of times over the past few
> weeks, but haven't had any response at all. I wondered if there was a
> policy against firmware for old wireless cards.

Try again, this time cc linux-wireless.

>> The next question is the license of the firmware. Who is giving you
>> rights to redistribute it and so on? Its preferred that the authors of
>> the firmware from the company involved send the patch themselves but
>> not required.
>>

> I had already made some enquires to the maintainers of the linux-wlan-ng
> project who include the firmware in their tarball (which forms the
> source of the Ubuntu linux-wlan-ng* packages). They checked their
> paper-trail as much as they could - the trail is complicated because the
> originating company has changed hands so many times. As far as they
> could tell the last owners were Conexant who freely distributed this
> firmware. I put words to this effect in the WHENCE file to David
> Woodhouse, with a signed-off-by from the guy at linux-wlan-ng project.

OK good, the more detailed the better in the WHENCE file. Also it is
good for this information to be explained in the commit log entry for
the patch you send.

Why doesn't a member of the linux-wlan-ng project send this patch himself?

>> > The file can be obtained from the source of linux-wlan-ng-firmware - the
>> > file required is ru010803.hex, and it should be renamed to prism2_ru.hex
>> > for installation in /lib/firmware.
>>
>> Under what license?
>>

> Please see README.firmware in the linux-wlan-ng-firmware source tarball.

I don't want to have to, that should be part of the  WHENCE in the patch.

  Luis

On Tue, 2009-06-30 at 11:13 -0700, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 5:56 AM, Karl
> Relton<[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2009-06-29 at 16:15 -0700, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:

> >> Patches to the linux-firmware should be sent to David Woodhouse. Since
> >> this is upstream drivers/staging it should be welcomed.
> >>

> > Yes indeed. I have emailed David a couple of times over the past few
> > weeks, but haven't had any response at all. I wondered if there was a
> > policy against firmware for old wireless cards.
>
> Try again, this time cc linux-wireless.
>
> >> The next question is the license of the firmware. Who is giving you
> >> rights to redistribute it and so on? Its preferred that the authors of
> >> the firmware from the company involved send the patch themselves but
> >> not required.
> >>

> > I had already made some enquires to the maintainers of the linux-wlan-ng
> > project who include the firmware in their tarball (which forms the
> > source of the Ubuntu linux-wlan-ng* packages). They checked their
> > paper-trail as much as they could - the trail is complicated because the
> > originating company has changed hands so many times. As far as they
> > could tell the last owners were Conexant who freely distributed this
> > firmware. I put words to this effect in the WHENCE file to David
> > Woodhouse, with a signed-off-by from the guy at linux-wlan-ng project.
>
> OK good, the more detailed the better in the WHENCE file. Also it is
> good for this information to be explained in the commit log entry for
> the patch you send.
>
> Why doesn't a member of the linux-wlan-ng project send this patch himself?

Thanks for the good advice Luis. I've resent as you have suggested.
The original linux-wlan-ng project maintainers are not working on the
mainline staging driver, which is why they are not actively pushing the
firmware upstream. They are in support of my efforts, however.

Cheers
Karl

Re: staging/wlan-ng firmware blob

Luis R. Rodriguez
On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 12:06 PM, Karl
Relton<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, 2009-06-30 at 11:13 -0700, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 5:56 AM, Karl
>> Relton<[hidden email]> wrote:

>> > Yes indeed. I have emailed David a couple of times over the past few
>> > weeks, but haven't had any response at all. I wondered if there was a
>> > policy against firmware for old wireless cards.
>>
>> Try again, this time cc linux-wireless.

>> > I had already made some enquires to the maintainers of the linux-wlan-ng
>> > project who include the firmware in their tarball (which forms the
>> > source of the Ubuntu linux-wlan-ng* packages). They checked their
>> > paper-trail as much as they could - the trail is complicated because the
>> > originating company has changed hands so many times. As far as they
>> > could tell the last owners were Conexant who freely distributed this
>> > firmware. I put words to this effect in the WHENCE file to David
>> > Woodhouse, with a signed-off-by from the guy at linux-wlan-ng project.
>>
>> OK good, the more detailed the better in the WHENCE file. Also it is
>> good for this information to be explained in the commit log entry for
>> the patch you send.
>>
>> Why doesn't a member of the linux-wlan-ng project send this patch himself?
>>

> Thanks for the good advice Luis. I've resent as you have suggested.
> The original linux-wlan-ng project maintainers are not working on the
> mainline staging driver, which is why they are not actively pushing the
> firmware upstream. They are in support of my efforts, however.

OK. Would be good to CC them on your next repost of the PATCH.

  Luis