Quantcast

startup in specific desktops?

rikona
I have several pgms I almost always use, set up in 4 desktops. How can
I get these to startup in the desktops I want then to be in?

Thanks,

 rikona

Re: startup in specific desktops?

Nils Kassube-2
rikona wrote:
> I have several pgms I almost always use, set up in 4 desktops. How can
> I get these to startup in the desktops I want then to be in?

For KDE there is the program kstart (from the package kde-runtime), but
I don't know if it would work for Unity. You could try if it works: The
command

kstart --desktop 2 firefox

in a terminal should start firefox on desktop 2 even if you are
currently on another desktop. If you want to use it in a script to start
several applications, you may need a sleep command after each kstart
command. Try "kstart --help" to get a list of other options.

Nils

Re: startup in specific desktops?

rikona
Hello Nils,

Thursday, February 2, 2017, 11:18:20 AM, Nils wrote:

> rikona wrote:
>> I have several pgms I almost always use, set up in 4 desktops. How can
>> I get these to startup in the desktops I want then to be in?

> For KDE there is the program kstart (from the package kde-runtime), but
> I don't know if it would work for Unity. You could try if it works: The
> command

> kstart --desktop 2 firefox

> in a terminal should start firefox on desktop 2 even if you are
> currently on another desktop. If you want to use it in a script to start
> several applications, you may need a sleep command after each kstart
> command. Try "kstart --help" to get a list of other options.

Thanks for the info! I'm assuming there is no way to do it in Unity
since I got no replies like that. I'm VERY nervous about trying it -
I've had a LOT of problems that seem to be caused by mixing pgms from
different desktops. I would think that kstart interacts directly with
the KDE desktop, and who knows what it might do to Unity. :-)

Plan B might be to run a script after I log on. Two questions: 1. If I
am on a particular desktop and run a script in that desktop, would a
pgm started by that script end up on that desktop? 2. Can I switch
desktops in a script? Is this a potential alternative?

--

 rikona

Re: startup in specific desktops?

Colin Law
On 2 February 2017 at 18:12, rikona <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have several pgms I almost always use, set up in 4 desktops. How can
> I get these to startup in the desktops I want then to be in?

You can use wmctrl to position a window in a particular desktop, so if
you write a script to start the apps you can use that to position them
where you want.

Colin

Re: startup in specific desktops?

Oliver Grawert
hi,
Am Donnerstag, den 02.02.2017, 18:23 -0800 schrieb rikona:

> Hello Nils,
>
> Thursday, February 2, 2017, 11:18:20 AM, Nils wrote:
>

> > rikona wrote:
> > >
> > > I have several pgms I almost always use, set up in 4 desktops.
> > > How can
> > > I get these to startup in the desktops I want then to be in?

see the last answer at:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/493824/remembering-window-positions-and-
preferrably-sizes-too-in-ubuntu-14-04

that might help

ciao
        oli

Re: startup in specific desktops?

Karl Auer
On Thu, 2017-02-02 at 18:23 -0800, rikona wrote:
> I'm VERY nervous about trying it -
> I've had a LOT of problems that seem to be caused by mixing pgms from
> different desktops. I would think that kstart interacts directly with
> the KDE desktop, and who knows what it might do to Unity. :-)

This is a job for VirtualBox! Run up a virtual, and see what happens.

Regards, K.

Karl Auer ([hidden email])
http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer
http://twitter.com/kauer389

GPG fingerprint: A52E F6B9 708B 51C4 85E6 1634 0571 ADF9 3C1C 6A3A
Old fingerprint: E00D 64ED 9C6A 8605 21E0 0ED0 EE64 2BEE CBCB C38B