stellarium problem

rikona
Using Ubuntu 16.04. Wanted to check out the location of close-by Mars
so installed stellarium via GUI but it won't run. All I get is an
instant flash of something on the screen. Htop does not see it running.
Locate gives me hundreds of stellarium-related files, so not sure what
to run via cli. This seems to be a snap install. Is there something
else needed to make it run correctly?

Not crucial - a phone app worked amazingly well, showing me what is in
the sky 'behind' the phone as I move the phone around in 3D space. Even
shows what would be in the sky on the other side of the earth if I point
the phone at the ground. :-)

I just wondered if there is anything different about snap installs,
and how to get this to work...

Re: stellarium problem

Oliver Grawert
hi,
Am Sonntag, den 05.08.2018, 12:36 -0700 schrieb rikona:
> Using Ubuntu 16.04. Wanted to check out the location of close-by Mars
> so installed stellarium via GUI but it won't run. All I get is an
> instant flash of something on the screen. Htop does not see it
> running.

> I just wondered if there is anything different about snap installs,
> and how to get this to work...

if you open ubuntu software, what is the exact package name it shows ?

(i just quickly installed stellarium-plars here and it runs just fine
on a 16.04 machine ... )

snap app executables always end up in /snap/bin so if you want to run a
snap from commandline you can either call it with full path via
/snap/bin or through "snap run <appname>".

ciao
        oli

Re: Stellarium problem

Udvarias Ur
Dear List,

I too have trouble with Stellarium. Just as rikona, I wanted to learn
where in the night sky I could see Mars.

I installed Stellariumyears ago, probably with Synaptic.

All I get is the Stellarium splash window and an error message box from
Stellarium that reads

            No OpenGL 2 found on this system. Please upgrade hardware or
            use MESA or an older version.

Any thoughts?

--
Udvarias Ur

This letter was generated and sent from Thunderbird 52.7.0 on Ubuntu Linux 16.04.5 LTS.

Cette lettre a été générée et envoyée à partir de Thunderbird 52.7.0 sur Ubuntu Linux 16.04.5 LTS.

Re: stellarium problem

rikona
On Mon, 06 Aug 2018 01:32:21 +0200
Oliver Grawert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> hi,
> Am Sonntag, den 05.08.2018, 12:36 -0700 schrieb rikona:
> > Using Ubuntu 16.04. Wanted to check out the location of close-by
> > Mars so installed stellarium via GUI but it won't run. All I get is
> > an instant flash of something on the screen. Htop does not see it
> > running.
>

> > I just wondered if there is anything different about snap installs,
> > and how to get this to work...
>
> if you open ubuntu software, what is the exact package name it shows ?
>
> (i just quickly installed stellarium-plars here and it runs just fine
> on a 16.04 machine ... )

That is exactly what i installed.

> snap app executables always end up in /snap/bin so if you want to run
> a snap from commandline you can either call it with full path via
> /snap/bin or through "snap run <appname>".

AHA! I didn't know one needed to run snap pgms that way. Also
nice to know where the executables are. Thanks. Does that mean I can't
have an 'installed' icon to click on [desktop or on the bar]? Probably
wouldn't run it a lot so it would end up in a desktop folder rather
than clutter up the desktop.

Thanks

Rik

Re: stellarium problem

Oliver Grawert
hi,
Am Sonntag, den 05.08.2018, 17:16 -0700 schrieb rikona:

> That is exactly what i installed.
>

> > snap app executables always end up in /snap/bin so if you want to
> > run
> > a snap from commandline you can either call it with full path via
> > /snap/bin or through "snap run <appname>".
> AHA! I didn't know one needed to run snap pgms that way. Also
> nice to know where the executables are. Thanks. Does that mean I
> can't
> have an 'installed' icon to click on [desktop or on the bar]?
> Probably
> wouldn't run it a lot so it would end up in a desktop folder rather
> than clutter up the desktop.

all snaps that are graphical have to ship a .desktop file which is what
defines the graphical launcher. you can search for the app in the
ubuntu dash (the thing that pops up if you click the ubuntu logo on a
default desktop or press the windows key) and drag the icon onto the
desktop.

to get more info about a snap from commandline you can use the "snap
info" command:

$ snap info stellarium-plars
name:      stellarium-plars
summary:   Free, open source planetarium software
publisher: pwlars
contact:   [hidden email]
license:   unknown
  Stellarium renders 3D photo-realistic skies in real-time. With
Stellarium, you
  really see what you can see with your eyes, binoculars or a small
telescope.
commands:
  - stellarium-plars.stellarium
snap-id:      hf5nWG6WDAoLbQ02hHFerY8jCQ1d0KNr
tracking:     stable
refresh-date: today at 02:42 CEST
channels:
  stable:    0.18 (23) 201MB -
  candidate: 0.18 (23) 201MB -
  beta:      0.18 (23) 201MB -
  edge:      0.18 (23) 201MB -
installed:   0.18 (23) 201MB -

as you can see above the snap comes with one "command" ... that is what
you can find under /snap/bin ...

$ ls /snap/bin/stellarium-plars.stellarium
/snap/bin/stellarium-plars.stellarium

other details about snaps can be found at https://snapcraft.io ... for
example take a look at: https://snapcraft.io/stellarium-plars

for more info, questions and discussions about snaps you should come
over to:

https://forum.snapcraft.io

ciao
        oli

Re: stellarium problem

rikona
On Mon, 06 Aug 2018 01:32:21 +0200
Oliver Grawert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> hi,
> Am Sonntag, den 05.08.2018, 12:36 -0700 schrieb rikona:
> > Using Ubuntu 16.04. Wanted to check out the location of close-by
> > Mars so installed stellarium via GUI but it won't run. All I get is
> > an instant flash of something on the screen. Htop does not see it
> > running.
>

> > I just wondered if there is anything different about snap installs,
> > and how to get this to work...
>
> if you open ubuntu software, what is the exact package name it shows ?
>
> (i just quickly installed stellarium-plars here and it runs just fine
> on a 16.04 machine ... )

I uninstalled it after it didn't run. Just reinstalled but it still
doesn't run.

> snap app executables always end up in /snap/bin so if you want to run
> a snap from commandline you can either call it with full path via
> /snap/bin or through "snap run <appname>".

snap run stellarium did nothing,
snap run stellarium-plars did nothing.
Checked /bin, saw stellarium-plars.stellarium, ran that and got a
number of errors

Default surface format:  QSurfaceFormat(version 2.0, options QFlags(),
depthBufferSize -1, redBufferSize -1, greenBufferSize -1,
blueBufferSize -1, alphaBufferSize -1, stencilBufferSize -1, samples
-1, swapBehavior 0, swapInterval 1, profile  0)
Desired surface format:  QSurfaceFormat(version 2.1, options QFlags(),
depthBufferSize 24, redBufferSize 8, greenBufferSize 8, blueBufferSize
8, alphaBufferSize 8, stencilBufferSize 8, samples -1, swapBehavior 0,
SwapInterval 1, profile  0)
StelGLWidget constructor
StelGraphicsScene constructor
Could not initialize OpenGL for RasterGLSurface, reverting to
RasterSurface.
XmbTextListToTextProperty result code -2
XmbTextListToTextProperty result code -2
XmbTextListToTextProperty result code -2
Could not initialize GLX
Aborted (core dumped)

Unfortunately the above does not give me any clues as to the problem :-(

In one of my 'locate' searches I noticed a .stellarium dir containing
some interesting stuff, but it does NOT show up in gedit even when
'show hidden files' is on. Why is that, and how can I see what's in
there?

Re: stellarium problem

Oliver Grawert
hi,
Am Sonntag, den 05.08.2018, 18:28 -0700 schrieb rikona:

> Could not initialize OpenGL for RasterGLSurface, reverting to
> RasterSurface.
> XmbTextListToTextProperty result code -2
> XmbTextListToTextProperty result code -2
> XmbTextListToTextProperty result code -2
> Could not initialize GLX
> Aborted (core dumped)
>
> Unfortunately the above does not give me any clues as to the problem
> :-(
it points to an issue with missing GLX libs in the snap package, i just
cross-checked the package on an nvidia based desktop and see the same
error message (the system i tested on yesterday was Intel-only)

This is a bug in the snap package and easy to fix by including
additional mesa GLX libs, i opened a forum thread about it if you want
to follow it:

https://forum.snapcraft.io/t/stellarium-plars-not-working-on-nvidia-car
ds/6685

ciao
        oli

Re: stellarium problem

Tony Arnold-3
Alternatively, you could install the version in the repositories with:

sudo apt install stellarium

You should probably uninstall what you currently have.

Regards,
Tony.

On Mon, 2018-08-06 at 11:40 +0200, Oliver Grawert wrote:
[...]

Tony Arnold MBCS, CITP | Senior IT Security Analyst | Directorate of IT Services | Desk 51, Office 2, Kilburn Building | The University of Manchester | Manchester M13 9PL | T: +44 161 275 6093 | M: +44 773 330 0039

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

Re: stellarium problem

Oliver Grawert
hi,
Am Montag, den 06.08.2018, 09:57 +0000 schrieb Tony Arnold:
> Alternatively, you could install the version in the repositories
> with:
>
> sudo apt install stellarium
>
> You should probably uninstall what you currently have.

while that is indeed a solution it will not help the community as a
whole, helping to fix the issue (by testing) with the snap will after
all fix it for everyone and is a good social act ;)

... especially in the light that Gnome/Ubuntu Software nowadays prefers
snap packages over debs, helping to fix it is in the end a service to
everyone in the community ... which after all is the meaning of Ubuntu

ciao
        oli

Re: stellarium problem

Tony Arnold-3
Oli,

On Mon, 2018-08-06 at 12:28 +0200, Oliver Grawert wrote:

> hi,
> Am Montag, den 06.08.2018, 09:57 +0000 schrieb Tony Arnold:
> Alternatively, you could install the version in the repositories
> with:
>
> sudo apt install stellarium
>
> You should probably uninstall what you currently have.
>

> while that is indeed a solution it will not help the community as a
> whole, helping to fix the issue (by testing) with the snap will after
> all fix it for everyone and is a good social act ;)
>
> ... especially in the light that Gnome/Ubuntu Software nowadays
> prefers
> snap packages over debs, helping to fix it is in the end a service to
> everyone in the community ... which after all is the meaning of
> Ubuntu
Absolutely agree with all of the above. I was just giving the OP a
quick work around for now.

Regards,
Tony.
--
Tony Arnold MBCS, CITP | Senior IT Security Analyst | Directorate of IT Services | Desk 51, Office 2, Kilburn Building | The University of Manchester | Manchester M13 9PL | T: +44 161 275 6093 | M: +44 773 330 0039

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

Re: stellarium problem

Oliver Grawert
hi,
Am Sonntag, den 05.08.2018, 18:28 -0700 schrieb rikona:

> Could not initialize GLX
> Aborted (core dumped)

this issue is now fixed in the snap "candidate" channel, if you would
switch your snap over to edge, either through the details page in
ubuntu software like in: https://imgur.com/ytoYP84

... or from the commandline with:

sudo snap switch --candidate steallarium-plars

then check if it runs and let us know (either here or in the forum
thread) then it can be promoted to the stable channel.

thanks a lot for the report and for helping to make it work !

ciao
        oli

Re: stellarium problem

rikona
On Mon, 06 Aug 2018 17:06:18 +0200
Oliver Grawert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> hi,
> Am Sonntag, den 05.08.2018, 18:28 -0700 schrieb rikona:
> >
> > Could not initialize GLX
> > Aborted (core dumped)
>
> this issue is now fixed in the snap "candidate" channel, if you would
> switch your snap over to edge, either through the details page in
> ubuntu software like in: https://imgur.com/ytoYP84

I tried this and it did work - selected 'edge', as in the graphic, not
candidate.

> ... or from the commandline with:
>
> sudo snap switch --candidate steallarium-plars

Would this give a different result, re candidate?

> then check if it runs and let us know (either here or in the forum
> thread) then it can be promoted to the stable channel.

Seems to run OK now, but it shows daylight sky here - no stars,
but does tell me where venus is :-).

> thanks a lot for the report and for helping to make it work !

You're quite welcome. I'm not a software person, and thus limited in
how I can help, but I like to help whenever I can.

Thanks!

Re: stellarium problem

Oliver Grawert
hi,
Am Montag, den 06.08.2018, 11:28 -0700 schrieb rikona:

> On Mon, 06 Aug 2018 17:06:18 +0200
> Oliver Grawert <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> > hi,
> > Am Sonntag, den 05.08.2018, 18:28 -0700 schrieb rikona:
> > >

> > > Could not initialize GLX
> > > Aborted (core dumped)
> > this issue is now fixed in the snap "candidate" channel, if you
> > would
> > switch your snap over to edge, either through the details page in
> > ubuntu software like in: https://imgur.com/ytoYP84
> I tried this and it did work - selected 'edge', as in the graphic,
> not
> candidate.
this is fine, the versions in edge, candidate and beta are currently
the same, paul just held back the promotion to stable until he has
feedback (which i just gave to him). the stable channel should have the
fixed version too in a bit ... you can then switch back to the stable
channel so you do not accidentially get test packages installed.

> > then check if it runs and let us know (either here or in the forum
> > thread) then it can be promoted to the stable channel.
> Seems to run OK now, but it shows daylight sky here - no stars,
> but does tell me where venus is :-).

well, it checks your system clock and shows night/day accordingly
(there is a clock at the bottom of the screen)

> > thanks a lot for the report and for helping to make it work !
> You're quite welcome. I'm not a software person, and thus limited in
> how I can help, but I like to help whenever I can.

you definitely helped a lot, thanks again :)

ciao
        oli

Re: stellarium problem

Rolf Grunsky
On 2018-08-06 11:06 AM, Oliver Grawert wrote:

> hi,
> Am Sonntag, den 05.08.2018, 18:28 -0700 schrieb rikona:
>>
>> Could not initialize GLX
>> Aborted (core dumped)
>
> this issue is now fixed in the snap "candidate" channel, if you would
> switch your snap over to edge, either through the details page in
> ubuntu software like in: https://imgur.com/ytoYP84
>
> ... or from the commandline with:
>
> sudo snap switch --candidate steallarium-plars
>
> then check if it runs and let us know (either here or in the forum
> thread) then it can be promoted to the stable channel.
>
> thanks a lot for the report and for helping to make it work !
>
> ciao
> oli

Turn off (disable atmosphere) to see stars, planets and anything else
you enable in the daytime sky.

Apologies: I accidentally replied to sender instead of list.

--
                                TRUTH in her dress finds facts too tight.
                                In fiction she moves with ease.

Re: stellarium problem

rikona
On Mon, 6 Aug 2018 15:32:27 -0400
Rolf Grunsky <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2018-08-06 11:06 AM, Oliver Grawert wrote:
> > hi,
> > Am Sonntag, den 05.08.2018, 18:28 -0700 schrieb rikona:
> >>
> >> Could not initialize GLX
> >> Aborted (core dumped)
> >
> > this issue is now fixed in the snap "candidate" channel, if you
> > would switch your snap over to edge, either through the details
> > page in ubuntu software like in: https://imgur.com/ytoYP84
> >
> > ... or from the commandline with:
> >
> > sudo snap switch --candidate steallarium-plars
> >
> > then check if it runs and let us know (either here or in the forum
> > thread) then it can be promoted to the stable channel.
> >
> > thanks a lot for the report and for helping to make it work !
> >
> > ciao
> > oli
> >

> Turn off (disable atmosphere) to see stars, planets and anything else
> you enable in the daytime sky.
>
> Apologies: I accidentally replied to sender instead of list.

Thanks for the tip. The pgm tries to simulate what one would see, so
daytime is appropriate. But being able to turn it off would be handy if
you want to know the position of a particular object no matter where it
is.

Re: Stellarium problem

On Mon, 6 Aug 2018 at 01:59, Udvarias Ur <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear List,
>
> I too have trouble with Stellarium. Just as rikona, I wanted to learn
> where in the night sky I could see Mars.
>
> I installed Stellariumyears ago, probably with Synaptic.
>
> All I get is the Stellarium splash window and an error message box from
> Stellarium that reads
>
>             No OpenGL 2 found on this system. Please upgrade hardware or
>             use MESA or an older version.
>
> Any thoughts?

You need working OpenGL. You don't have working OpenGL. Find some
graphics drivers for your graphics adaptor that provide OpenGL and
install them.

Since you have not given us any specific information, we cannot give
you a specific reply. We are not psychic. We cannot tell what computer
you have, what version of Linux you have, what graphics card you have,
or anything else.

Re: Stellarium problem

Tony Arnold-3

On Tue, 2018-08-07 at 12:04 +0200, Liam Proven wrote:
On Mon, 6 Aug 2018 at 01:59, Udvarias Ur <[hidden email]> wrote:

Dear List,

I too have trouble with Stellarium. Just as rikona, I wanted to learn
where in the night sky I could see Mars.

I installed Stellariumyears ago, probably with Synaptic.

All I get is the Stellarium splash window and an error message box from
Stellarium that reads

            No OpenGL 2 found on this system. Please upgrade hardware or
            use MESA or an older version.

Any thoughts?

You need working OpenGL. You don't have working OpenGL. Find some
graphics drivers for your graphics adaptor that provide OpenGL and
install them.

I've seen the same problem when running the SNAP version of Stellarium. I have an AMD RX-470 graphics card with the amdgpu-pro drivers installed (from the AMD web site).

The repo version of Stellarium works just fine.

Regards,
Tony.
--
Tony Arnold MBCS, CITP | Senior IT Security Analyst | Directorate of IT Services | Desk 51, Office 2, Kilburn Building | The University of Manchester | Manchester M13 9PL | T: +44 161 275 6093 | M: +44 773 330 0039

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

Re: Stellarium problem

Liam Proven
On Tue, 7 Aug 2018 at 12:57, Tony Arnold <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've seen the same problem when running the SNAP version of Stellarium. I have an AMD RX-470 graphics card with the amdgpu-pro drivers installed (from the AMD web site).
>
> The repo version of Stellarium works just fine.

Ah. Good info. Thanks.

So the isolation of Snaps prevents them using OpenGL?

Re: Stellarium problem

Oliver Grawert
hi,
Am Dienstag, den 07.08.2018, 13:20 +0200 schrieb Liam Proven:

> On Tue, 7 Aug 2018 at 12:57, Tony Arnold <[hidden email]
> k> wrote:
> >

> > I've seen the same problem when running the SNAP version of
> > Stellarium. I have an AMD RX-470 graphics card with the amdgpu-pro
> > drivers installed (from the AMD web site).
> >
> > The repo version of Stellarium works just fine.
> Ah. Good info. Thanks.
>
> So the isolation of Snaps prevents them using OpenGL?
err, we fixed it yesterday ... but seemingly amdgpu is another special
case despite the promises that it is an opensource driver (which would
expose it in the generic GL driver paths unlike the mess that nvidia
makes with its closed drivers)

do you happen to know where amdgpu installs the _drv.so file ? so we
could add support for it to the snap ?

ciao
        oli

Re: Stellarium problem

Oliver Grawert
hi,
Am Dienstag, den 07.08.2018, 13:28 +0200 schrieb Oliver Grawert:

> > So the isolation of Snaps prevents them using OpenGL?

i just noticed i havent answered this ...

actually the isolation of snaps greatly improves the use of opengl
since the snap sees the libs and drivers in a unified location (which
isnt possible with the normal distro setup without breaking other stuff
(remember what happened if you had fglrx and nvidia drivers installed
at the same time ?)) and through that mechanism prevents breakage.

the prob here is the way the stellarium snap itself is set up, it isnt
a problem of snaps but a problem of this particular snap and we'd need
help from someone owning an amd card if amd breaks standards here...

ciao
        oli