Quantcast

sudo su -

Thufir Hawat
To switch to root, this is reasonable?

thufir@doge:~$
thufir@doge:~$ sudo su -
root@doge:~#
root@doge:~# pwd
/root
root@doge:~#

thanks,

Thufir

Re: sudo su -

Oliver Grawert
hi,
Am Montag, den 13.02.2017, 12:06 +0000 schrieb thufir:
> To switch to root, this is reasonable?
>
> thufir@doge:~$
> thufir@doge:~$ sudo su -
> root@doge:~#
> root@doge:~# pwd
> /root
> root@doge:~#

rather "sudo -s" or "sudo -i"

su resets the environment to a non standard thing, better trust sudo to
do the right thing here...

ciao
        oli

Re: sudo su -

W Scott Lockwood III

On Feb 13, 2017 06:07, "thufir" <[hidden email]> wrote:
To switch to root, this is reasonable?

thufir@doge:~$
thufir@doge:~$ sudo su -
root@doge:~#
root@doge:~# pwd
/root
root@doge:~#

thanks,

Thufir

Sudo by itself makes one less syscall, and gives you this functionality anyway. Use:

sudo -i # root shell, root's environment
sudo -s # root shell, invoking users environment

Daily start up hassles

Charles Irons
Hello All

I cannot find any ideas in man pages nor Community Help that might tell why the Keyring fails most mornings when I start my desktop.
Currently I have to enter my one and only password several times at start up as I detail below. What am I doing wrong?

I am using Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS and have installed gufw firewall.
In Startup Applications I edited the descriptions so that Keyring is first, hoping that might authenticate gufw and other apps.
No luck ; I still must enter password again, a second time .

Then I removed gufw from the Startup Applications

Searched for "com.ubuntu.pkexec.gufw" and opened it with gedit:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE policyconfig PUBLIC
 "-//freedesktop//DTD PolicyKit Policy Configuration 1.0//EN"
<policyconfig>

  <action id="com.ubuntu.pkexec.gufw">
    <message gettext-domain="gufw">Authentication is required to run the Firewall Configuration</message>
    <icon_name>gufw</icon_name>
    <defaults>
      <allow_any>auth_admin</allow_any>
      <allow_inactive>auth_admin</allow_inactive>
      <allow_active>auth_admin</allow_active>
    </defaults>
    <annotate key="org.freedesktop.policykit.exec.path">/usr/bin/gufw-pkexec</annotate>
    <annotate key="org.freedesktop.policykit.exec.allow_gui">true</annotate>
  </action>

</policyconfig>
******************
I also get "System program problem" with one or more of these details:
com.ubuntu.pkexec.gufw

com.ubuntu.apport.apport-gtk-root

/usr/sbin/cupsd

I must authenticate each time with my one password.

Online Accounts also pops up at start up for me to grant access for Google to integrate with Evolution Email and Contacts.

I really hope you can point me in the right direction. Thanks. Chas.
--
Our preferred address is
[hidden email]