switch off auto-selection of text (or what ever it is called ..)

switch off auto-selection of text (or what ever it is called ..)

robert rottermann
Hi there and merry Christmas to you all,

i have a super annoying problem of which I do not even know how to name
it ..

Some times my ubuntu 7.10 (but it was the same with former versions) on
a dell xp15 starts to "autoselect" text.

So when I click some where and move the cursor the text gets selected.

Very annoying.

No idea what triggers this.

When that state is active, I have I have not found a way how to switch
it off other then to reboot the laptop.

can anybody of you give me a hint, ho to handle this?

thanks

and have a good time

robert

Re: switch off auto-selection of text (or what ever it is called ..)

Chris Green
On Mon, Dec 25, 2017 at 10:49:45AM +0100, robert wrote:

> i have a super annoying problem of which I do not even know how to name it
> ..
>
> Some times my ubuntu 7.10 (but it was the same with former versions) on a
> dell xp15 starts to "autoselect" text.
>
> So when I click some where and move the cursor the text gets selected.

Er, that's the standard way text selection works in Unix/Linux.  Click
and move the cursor to select text, then paste with the middle button
(button 3).

> Very annoying.
>
> No idea what triggers this.

It's normal, it's the way it 'should' work (if I'm understanding your
description correctly).

What do you want to happen when you click and move?  If you want
'click and drag' then that works too if you click on an 'object'.
It's down to what you click on.

--
Chris Green

On 25.12.2017 11:20, Chris Green wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 25, 2017 at 10:49:45AM +0100, robert wrote:
>> i have a super annoying problem of which I do not even know how to name it
>> ..
>>
>> Some times my ubuntu 7.10 (but it was the same with former versions) on a
>> dell xp15 starts to "autoselect" text.
>>
>> So when I click some where and move the cursor the text gets selected.
>>
> Er, that's the standard way text selection works in Unix/Linux.  Click
> and move the cursor to select text, then paste with the middle button
> (button 3).
no it is not..
You have (to my understanding) to press the shift key together with the
mouse move.

My box behaves as if I would have pressed the shift key, which I do not ..

robert

>> Very annoying.
>>
>> No idea what triggers this.
>>
> It's normal, it's the way it 'should' work (if I'm understanding your
> description correctly).
>
> What do you want to happen when you click and move?  If you want
> 'click and drag' then that works too if you click on an 'object'.
> It's down to what you click on.

Re: switch off auto-selection of text (or what ever it is called ..)

Tony Arnold-3
Robert,

On Mon, 2017-12-25 at 11:28 +0100, robert wrote:

> On 25.12.2017 11:20, Chris Green wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 25, 2017 at 10:49:45AM +0100, robert wrote:
> > > i have a super annoying problem of which I do not even know how
> > > to name it
> > > ..
> > >
> > > Some times my ubuntu 7.10 (but it was the same with former
> > > versions) on a
> > > dell xp15 starts to "autoselect" text.
> > >
> > > So when I click some where and move the cursor the text gets
> > > selected.
> > >

> > Er, that's the standard way text selection works in
> > Unix/Linux.  Click
> > and move the cursor to select text, then paste with the middle
> > button
> > (button 3).
>
> no it is not..
> You have (to my understanding) to press the shift key together with
> the
> mouse move.
>
> My box behaves as if I would have pressed the shift key, which I do
> not ..

Are you holding the mouse key down while moving the cursor? If so, you
will select text as you describe and that is normal behaviour.

If you are releasing the mouse key as you move the cursor, and text is
being selected, then that is not normal. I would suspect a sticky mouse
key! Have you tried a different mouse? Or if you are using the
trackpad, try a mouse instead, and see if that makes a difference.

Regards,
Tony.
--
Tony Arnold MBCS, CITP | Senior IT Security Analyst | Directorate of IT Services | G64, Kilburn Building | The University of Manchester | Manchester M13 9PL | T: +44 161 275 6093 | M: +44 773 330 0039

Re: switch off auto-selection of text (or what ever it is called ..)

Gene Heskett-2
On Monday 25 December 2017 05:28:04 robert wrote:

> On 25.12.2017 11:20, Chris Green wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 25, 2017 at 10:49:45AM +0100, robert wrote:
> >> i have a super annoying problem of which I do not even know how to
> >> name it ..
> >>
> >> Some times my ubuntu 7.10 (but it was the same with former
> >> versions) on a dell xp15 starts to "autoselect" text.
> >>
> >> So when I click some where and move the cursor the text gets
> >> selected.
> >
> > Er, that's the standard way text selection works in Unix/Linux.
> > Click and move the cursor to select text, then paste with the middle
> > button (button 3).
>
> no it is not..
> You have (to my understanding) to press the shift key together with
> the mouse move.
>
> My box behaves as if I would have pressed the shift key, which I do
> not ..
>
> robert

Thats how its supposed to work _IF_ you do not release the left mouse
button before you move the mouse. Note the IF above. You may have a bad
mouse, quite a few of the later mice use the flex of the plastic buttons
anchoring hinge as a spring, which IMNSHO is NOT near enough up
pressure. I tend to pry the top covers off and take a hot air rework
stations wand and heat the hinge, bending it up about 1/8" to make sure
the darned thing will release when I lift my finger. Let it cool and
reassemble.

> >> Very annoying.
> >>
> >> No idea what triggers this.
> >
> > It's normal, it's the way it 'should' work (if I'm understanding
> > your description correctly).
> >
> > What do you want to happen when you click and move?  If you want
> > 'click and drag' then that works too if you click on an 'object'.
> > It's down to what you click on.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Re: switch off auto-selection of text (or what ever it is called ..)

Owen Thomas
This has happened to be before too.

I think Robert is describing a situation where he clicks the mouse somewhere, and then, after releasing the mouse button, he moves the mouse cursor, by moving his mouse, elsewhere. He frustratingly observes all text in the application where he clicked to the place in nearest proximity to where the moved the cursor to has been highlighted.

I have had this problem too, and I believe it is because I have accidentally enabled some assisted typing facility. I don't know how to stop it, but thankfully it hasn't happened to me in a while.

I don't know how to fix it, but it could be a hardware thing? What type of hardware have you got Robert?

  Owen.

On 25 December 2017 at 21:52, Gene Heskett <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Monday 25 December 2017 05:28:04 robert wrote:

> On 25.12.2017 11:20, Chris Green wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 25, 2017 at 10:49:45AM +0100, robert wrote:
> >> i have a super annoying problem of which I do not even know how to
> >> name it ..
> >>
> >> Some times my ubuntu 7.10 (but it was the same with former
> >> versions) on a dell xp15 starts to "autoselect" text.
> >>
> >> So when I click some where and move the cursor the text gets
> >> selected.
> >
> > Er, that's the standard way text selection works in Unix/Linux.
> > Click and move the cursor to select text, then paste with the middle
> > button (button 3).
>
> no it is not..
> You have (to my understanding) to press the shift key together with
> the mouse move.
>
> My box behaves as if I would have pressed the shift key, which I do
> not ..
>
> robert

Thats how its supposed to work _IF_ you do not release the left mouse
button before you move the mouse. Note the IF above. You may have a bad
mouse, quite a few of the later mice use the flex of the plastic buttons
anchoring hinge as a spring, which IMNSHO is NOT near enough up
pressure. I tend to pry the top covers off and take a hot air rework
stations wand and heat the hinge, bending it up about 1/8" to make sure
the darned thing will release when I lift my finger. Let it cool and
reassemble.

> >> Very annoying.
> >>
> >> No idea what triggers this.
> >
> > It's normal, it's the way it 'should' work (if I'm understanding
> > your description correctly).
> >
> > What do you want to happen when you click and move?  If you want
> > 'click and drag' then that works too if you click on an 'object'.
> > It's down to what you click on.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

On Mon, Dec 25, 2017 at 11:28:04AM +0100, robert wrote:

> On 25.12.2017 11:20, Chris Green wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 25, 2017 at 10:49:45AM +0100, robert wrote:
> > > i have a super annoying problem of which I do not even know how to name it
> > > ..
> > >
> > > Some times my ubuntu 7.10 (but it was the same with former versions) on a
> > > dell xp15 starts to "autoselect" text.
> > >
> > > So when I click some where and move the cursor the text gets selected.
> > >
> > Er, that's the standard way text selection works in Unix/Linux.  Click
> > and move the cursor to select text, then paste with the middle button
> > (button 3).
> no it is not..
> You have (to my understanding) to press the shift key together with the
> mouse move.

Not on any standard 'out of the box' Linux or Unix, you can copy and
paste text without touching the keyboard, that's one of its advantages
to my way of thinking/working.

> My box behaves as if I would have pressed the shift key, which I do not ..

If you have had it set up to require the shift key as well then that's
a customisation you (or someone else) has applied at some point.

--
Chris Green

On 25.12.2017 12:36, Owen Thomas wrote:
This has happened to be before too.

I think Robert is describing a situation where he clicks the mouse somewhere, and then, after releasing the mouse button, he moves the mouse cursor, by moving his mouse, elsewhere. He frustratingly observes all text in the application where he clicked to the place in nearest proximity to where the moved the cursor to has been highlighted.
exactly

I have had this problem too, and I believe it is because I have accidentally enabled some assisted typing facility. I don't know how to stop it, but thankfully it hasn't happened to me in a while.

I don't know how to fix it, but it could be a hardware thing? What type of hardware have you got Robert?
dell xps15
robert

  Owen.

On 25 December 2017 at 21:52, Gene Heskett <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Monday 25 December 2017 05:28:04 robert wrote:

> On 25.12.2017 11:20, Chris Green wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 25, 2017 at 10:49:45AM +0100, robert wrote:
> >> i have a super annoying problem of which I do not even know how to
> >> name it ..
> >>
> >> Some times my ubuntu 7.10 (but it was the same with former
> >> versions) on a dell xp15 starts to "autoselect" text.
> >>
> >> So when I click some where and move the cursor the text gets
> >> selected.
> >
> > Er, that's the standard way text selection works in Unix/Linux.
> > Click and move the cursor to select text, then paste with the middle
> > button (button 3).
>
> no it is not..
> You have (to my understanding) to press the shift key together with
> the mouse move.
>
> My box behaves as if I would have pressed the shift key, which I do
> not ..
>
> robert

Thats how its supposed to work _IF_ you do not release the left mouse
button before you move the mouse. Note the IF above. You may have a bad
mouse, quite a few of the later mice use the flex of the plastic buttons
anchoring hinge as a spring, which IMNSHO is NOT near enough up
pressure. I tend to pry the top covers off and take a hot air rework
stations wand and heat the hinge, bending it up about 1/8" to make sure
the darned thing will release when I lift my finger. Let it cool and
reassemble.

> >> Very annoying.
> >>
> >> No idea what triggers this.
> >
> > It's normal, it's the way it 'should' work (if I'm understanding
> > your description correctly).
> >
> > What do you want to happen when you click and move?  If you want
> > 'click and drag' then that works too if you click on an 'object'.
> > It's down to what you click on.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Re: switch off auto-selection of text (or what ever it is called ..)

Colin Law
On 26 December 2017 at 08:52, robert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 25.12.2017 12:36, Owen Thomas wrote:
>
> This has happened to be before too.
>
> I think Robert is describing a situation where he clicks the mouse
> somewhere, and then, after releasing the mouse button, he moves the mouse
> cursor, by moving his mouse, elsewhere. He frustratingly observes all text
> in the application where he clicked to the place in nearest proximity to
> where the moved the cursor to has been highlighted.
>
> exactly
>

> I have had this problem too, and I believe it is because I have accidentally
> enabled some assisted typing facility. I don't know how to stop it, but
> thankfully it hasn't happened to me in a while.
>
> I don't know how to fix it, but it could be a hardware thing? What type of
> hardware have you got Robert?
>
> dell xps15

Have you tried a different mouse yet?  From your description of the
problem it could be a sticking mouse button.

Colin

On 26.12.2017 09:58, Colin Law wrote:

> On 26 December 2017 at 08:52, robert <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On 25.12.2017 12:36, Owen Thomas wrote:
>>
>> This has happened to be before too.
>>
>> I think Robert is describing a situation where he clicks the mouse
>> somewhere, and then, after releasing the mouse button, he moves the mouse
>> cursor, by moving his mouse, elsewhere. He frustratingly observes all text
>> in the application where he clicked to the place in nearest proximity to
>> where the moved the cursor to has been highlighted.
>>
>> exactly
>>

>> I have had this problem too, and I believe it is because I have accidentally
>> enabled some assisted typing facility. I don't know how to stop it, but
>> thankfully it hasn't happened to me in a while.
>>
>> I don't know how to fix it, but it could be a hardware thing? What type of
>> hardware have you got Robert?
>>
>> dell xps15
> Have you tried a different mouse yet?  From your description of the
> problem it could be a sticking mouse button.
>
> Colin
it only happens using the touch-pad
and the touch-pad is probably not defective, as rebooting (probably
logging out as well) always helps

On Tue, Dec 26, 2017 at 10:07:07AM +0100, robert wrote:

> On 26.12.2017 09:58, Colin Law wrote:
> > On 26 December 2017 at 08:52, robert <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > On 25.12.2017 12:36, Owen Thomas wrote:
> > >
> > > This has happened to be before too.
> > >
> > > I think Robert is describing a situation where he clicks the mouse
> > > somewhere, and then, after releasing the mouse button, he moves the mouse
> > > cursor, by moving his mouse, elsewhere. He frustratingly observes all text
> > > in the application where he clicked to the place in nearest proximity to
> > > where the moved the cursor to has been highlighted.
> > >
> > > exactly
> > >

> > > I have had this problem too, and I believe it is because I have accidentally
> > > enabled some assisted typing facility. I don't know how to stop it, but
> > > thankfully it hasn't happened to me in a while.
> > >
> > > I don't know how to fix it, but it could be a hardware thing? What type of
> > > hardware have you got Robert?
> > >
> > > dell xps15
> > Have you tried a different mouse yet?  From your description of the
> > problem it could be a sticking mouse button.
> >
> > Colin
> it only happens using the touch-pad
> and the touch-pad is probably not defective, as rebooting (probably logging
> out as well) always helps

It isn't another symptom of the bug I reported a few months ago on my
Lenovo Thinkpad is it?  The bug I had was that the mouse pointer would
go permanently into one mode (text I-beam) all over the screen and
wouldn't change windows or anything.  The only fix I could find was to
log out and back in (restart would also work of course).

In my case on the Thinkpad I found that turning off the IBM TrackPoint
and leaving only the touchpad in operation fixed the problem.  Now,
since I upgraded to Xubuntu 17.04 the problem seems to have been
fixed. I'm running 17.10 now and it still seems OK (with both
TrackPoint and TouchPad enabled).

--
Chris Green

Re: switch off auto-selection of text (or what ever it is called ..)

Peter Flynn
On 26/12/17 08:52, robert wrote:

> On 25.12.2017 12:36, Owen Thomas wrote:
>> This has happened to be before too.
>>
>> I think Robert is describing a situation where he clicks the mouse
>> somewhere, and then, after releasing the mouse button, he moves the
>> mouse cursor, by moving his mouse, elsewhere. He frustratingly
>> observes all text in the application where he clicked to the place in
>> nearest proximity to where the moved the cursor to has been highlighted.
> exactly
>>
>> I have had this problem too, and I believe it is because I have
>> accidentally enabled some assisted typing facility. I don't know how
>> to stop it, but thankfully it hasn't happened to me in a while.
>>
>> I don't know how to fix it, but it could be a hardware thing? What
>> type of hardware have you got Robert?
> dell xps15

I have the identical problem...on my XPS 15, and AFAICS its the touchpad
hardware settings.

(I'm also curious to know — in another thread, I suggest — how you got
Ubuntu installed at all, as none of the flavours will boot from the USB
for me — they all hang on the fourth coloured dot while the Ubuntu logo
is on-screen during bootup, apparently because the video driver is
mismatched. I found that Mint doesn't do this, and it detects *and*
installs *and* fixes the NVidia driver problems *and* correctly updates
grub, which no other distro would do on this laptop).

The XPS 15 touchpad is GROSSLY oversensitive, and I did at some stage
during OS/boot experimentation discover a command which reveals and
allows setting dozens of touchpad parameters. But I don't have that link
with me right now. Now that I have a fairly stable installation, I need
to revisit this and find settings that work — but it will be a long
process, as I don't actually understand what a lot of the settings were
called.

But it is a known problem, and I believe people have solved it.

///Peter

On 26.12.2017 14:31, Peter Flynn wrote:

> On 26/12/17 08:52, robert wrote:
>>

>> On 25.12.2017 12:36, Owen Thomas wrote:
>>> This has happened to be before too.
>>>
>>> I think Robert is describing a situation where he clicks the mouse
>>> somewhere, and then, after releasing the mouse button, he moves the mouse
>>> cursor, by moving his mouse, elsewhere. He frustratingly observes all text
>>> in the application where he clicked to the place in nearest proximity to
>>> where the moved the cursor to has been highlighted.
>> exactly
>>>
>>> I have had this problem too, and I believe it is because I have accidentally
>>> enabled some assisted typing facility. I don't know how to stop it, but
>>> thankfully it hasn't happened to me in a while.
>>>
>>> I don't know how to fix it, but it could be a hardware thing? What type of
>>> hardware have you got Robert?
>> dell xps15
>
> I have the identical problem...on my XPS 15, and AFAICS its the touchpad
> hardware settings.
oh, good
so we can start to console each other :)

> (I'm also curious to know — in another thread, I suggest — how you got Ubuntu
> installed at all, as none of the flavours will boot from the USB for me — they
> all hang on the fourth coloured dot while the Ubuntu logo is on-screen during
> bootup, apparently because the video driver is mismatched. I found that Mint
> doesn't do this, and it detects *and* installs *and* fixes the NVidia driver
> problems *and* correctly updates grub, which no other distro would do on this
> laptop).
This is nothing I had much problems with. It is some moth i did it for 17.10.
I remember it consisted mainly of finding out which bios combination to use

Please ask, if you want to know anything about the setup I use.

> The XPS 15 touchpad is GROSSLY oversensitive,
yes, it is very sensitive
> and I did at some stage during OS/boot experimentation discover a command
> which reveals and allows setting dozens of touchpad parameters. But I don't
> have that link with me right now. Now that I have a fairly stable
> installation, I need to revisit this and find settings that work — but it will
> be a long process, as I don't actually understand what a lot of the settings
> were called.
>
> But it is a known problem, and I believe people have solved it.
if you have any more info, please tell me
robert

> ///Peter

Re: switch off auto-selection of text (or what ever it is called ..)

Owen Thomas
I have a Dell Latitude E5570, and I know well the frustrations of the Dell touchpad. I had an HP once running Windows 8 (I think?), and I found the feature where the touchpad could be disabled while one is typing to be very useful. So far, I have not been able to find or enable the same functionality in Dell that can be used in Ubuntu.

However, it seems that I may have provided a clue as to Robert's (and indeed my) problem. Perhaps something will come of this... perhaps someone from Dell is listening.

  Owen.

On 26/12/17 13:57, robert wrote:
> On 26.12.2017 14:31, Peter Flynn wrote:
[...]
>> I have the identical problem...on my XPS 15, and AFAICS its the
>> touchpad hardware settings.
 >
> oh, good so we can start to console each other :)

Maybe a mutual moaning forum about the deficiencies of an otherwise
excellent machine :-)

>> The XPS 15 touchpad is GROSSLY oversensitive,
 >
> yes, it is very sensitive

It's also much bigger than on my previous machine, so I keep brushing it
with one hand while clicking or moving with the other. Just a matter of
training.

On 26/12/17 22:14, Owen Thomas wrote:
> I have a Dell Latitude E5570, and I know well the frustrations of
> the Dell touchpad. I had an HP once running Windows 8 (I think?), and
> I found the feature where the touchpad could be disabled while one
> is typing to be very useful. So far, I have not been able to find or
> enable the same functionality in Dell that can be used in Ubuntu.

I have seen that, either in the BIOS settings (hunt) or in the system
settings, possibly while I was testing other distros (Bodhi would be a
good start). I though of turning it on but (a) I had never used it
before, so I didn't know how it would work (ie how would it detect
starting to type continuously from just pressing a couple of keys in
answer to a prompt?) and (b) at the time I didn't want to go changing
something extra while I was still trying to get a full install to work.

> However, it seems that I may have provided a clue as to Robert's
> (and indeed my) problem. Perhaps something will come of this...
> perhaps someone from Dell is listening.
I don't think Dell are either listening or interested. Big corporations
tend to lose interest once you have bought their kit.

///Peter

On 27 December 2017 at 11:26, Peter Flynn <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 26/12/17 22:14, Owen Thomas wrote:
I have a Dell Latitude E5570, and I know well the frustrations of
the Dell touchpad. I had an HP once running Windows 8 (I think?), and
I found the feature where the touchpad could be disabled while one
is typing to be very useful. So far, I have not been able to find or
enable the same functionality in Dell that can be used in Ubuntu.

I have seen that, either in the BIOS settings (hunt) or in the system settings, possibly while I was testing other distros (Bodhi would be a good start). I though of turning it on but (a) I had never used it before, so I didn't know how it would work (ie how would it detect starting to type continuously from just pressing a couple of keys in answer to a prompt?) and (b) at the time I didn't want to go changing something extra while I was still trying to get a full install to work.

I decided to reboot my Dell Latitude E5570, and I found that it does not appear to me by looking through the BIOS settings of this computer that Dell has entertained a facility that would disable a user's touchpad when it is not being used so to avoid a calamity precipitated through the unintentional brushing of one's hand on the touchpad. I suppose they have resolved (as I have) that the frequency of use of an editor's undo/redo facility would increase to cover most situations where this would occur. The consequence of this is that one must wear the consequences in cases where the calamity has no undo/redo facility (sending an unfinished email being but one example).

However, it seems that I may have provided a clue as to Robert's
(and indeed my) problem. Perhaps something will come of this...
perhaps someone from Dell is listening.
I don't think Dell are either listening or interested. Big corporations tend to lose interest once you have bought their kit.

Probably you're right at some level. The life that I want to live must inevitably take precedence over ignored features.

I haven't killed my Dell yet; I fear that Dell could be cynical in their sense of opportunism and this fear quells my temper. If HP make their computers work more generally (I have indeed killed a few of them), I might go back to HP being that HP do appear at least to have a more considerate touchpad.

Re: switch off auto-selection of text (or what ever it is called ..)

walt
Owen:

I have a Dell Inspiron 15 5558 laptop computer.  I run Linux Mint 18
exclusively. I use the following scripts to turn the touch pad on and off.

To turn off:

#!/bin/bash
#Turn Laptop Pad off
#
synclient touchpadoff=1

To turn on:

#!/bin/bash
#turn laptop pad on
#
synclient touchpadoff=0

The last line can be run in a terminal also.  Hope that this helps.  I
have long forgotten where I found the synclient command.

   walt

----- Walt Jamison, W7PRB  [hidden email]-----

Re: switch off auto-selection of text (or what ever it is called ..)

Owen Thomas
Hmmm... okay... thanks Walt. I'll let you know how I get on...

Would you mind telling me/pointing me in the direction of how to assign this script to a key press?

On 27 December 2017 at 14:09, walt <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I put those scripts in a directory on my path. Made then executable.
Made a launcher on the desktop for each.  I don't know how to attach
them to a keystroke.  The launcher on the desktop works for me.  Glad
that it works for you.

Happy New Year.

   walt

--